The Republican Utopia

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

All very good points.  History will look back at this time and record the beginning of the death of a party.  If the GOP had adopted more moderate policies and positions, they would have prevented their own pending demise. Even the SC has ruled recently against the GOP on unfair redistricting cases. If that continues, it may become harder for the GOP to gain and maintain control of the House.   The GOP will rue the day they allowed Trump to ride down that escalator and not have a united front against him.  

I agree the GOP will die soon one way or the other. Fading into obscurity or supporting the new dictator and ceasing to exist as a real political party other than in name.

29 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I agree the GOP will die soon one way or the other. Fading into obscurity or supporting the new dictator and ceasing to exist as a real political party other than in name.

It's more likely they slowly adjust and nominate better candidates and eventually take on better policy positions.

Much like after the Republican Party accidently invaded Iraq, instituted a regime of institutionalized torture (often against innocent Iraqis) which yielded not a single piece of actionable intelligence, and spent trillions on nation building with nothing to show for it... voters simply forget after a few short years. 

In 2028 or 2032 the Republican Party will be taken over by a new wave of post Trump morons, appealing to their horde of uneducated voters, and the insurrection they incited and the Democracy they sought to overthrow will seem like ancient history. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

He's gone.  :laughpound

The first time someone has been removed like this in the history of the house.

McCarthy goes down as the shortest sitting Speaker of the House in history.

And Matt Gaetz enshrines himself as a leader of the party.  That should make everyone sleep well tonight.

I wonder how long it will take to get a new speaker.

7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I wonder how long it will take to get a new speaker.

That’s going to be interesting. The MAGAts in the house like Gaetz are not going to promote someone who is going to get the majority vote….I’m guessing. 

I’ve seen Stefanic mentioned….which is hellaciously pathetic. 

So, we could have a total s#!t show happen because of people who support the leader of the party. 

Maybe this is the exhibition the country needs. 

This was probably Gaetz's best option for defunding the government to be honest. I'm not sure if they will ever get anyone into the position.

25 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, this made me look it up.

The Constitution does not explicitly require the speaker to be an incumbent member of the House of Representatives, although every speaker thus far has been. The speaker is second in the United States presidential line of succession, after the vice president and ahead of the president pro tempore of the Senate.

10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

This was probably Gaetz's best option for defunding the government to be honest. I'm not sure if they will ever get anyone into the position.

Well, this made me look it up.

The Constitution does not explicitly require the speaker to be an incumbent member of the House of Representatives, although every speaker thus far has been. The speaker is second in the United States presidential line of succession, after the vice president and ahead of the president pro tempore of the Senate.

Matt will nominate Trump tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Matt will nominate Trump tomorrow. 

How f#&%ed up is it that it's possible Trump could effectively become the president without election, and not be bound by the constitutional oath as well. That's a royal f#&% up by the founding fathers and everyone since. What possible reason did they have to allow a speaker not to be an elected member?

• Haha 1
  • TBH 2