The Republican Utopia

14 hours ago, ZRod said:

No offense, but I'll never understand the obsession with Reagan. He's basically the root of all our modern problems. Debt, tickle down economics, military industrial complex, the war on drugs and mass incarceration. At best he's was neutral, not good or bad.

The items in bold were well before Reagan's time. But perhaps you forget the Jimmy Carter years, the Cold War,  the crippled economic times and the dour/ hopeless mood of the nation.   Was Reagan perfect?- of course not.  Every president from Washington down to Biden have had issues that history would like to rectify.  As FDR was the right guy for his time, Reagan was the right guy for those days.  Unfortunately, the GOP has taken things which worked at the time and made it a doctrine (constant tax cuts for example) - which is wrong.  He was the right guy for that time and that is why historians typically put him in the top 10 (normally around 8th-9th) in presidential rankings.  No president can claim all of the credit for all of the good of their time nor should they be blamed for all of the bad.  What sets great ones (Wash, Lincoln, FDR, Jefferson, TR) & the near great (the next 5) apart from the others  is how they influenced their times and met the challenges of those times.  Would Reagan work in these times?  Probably not - other than his positive personality which we desperately need.   Each president must support solutions to their times.  One could argue that we can blame FDR and LBJ for the welfare state, high govt spending etc.  But that would be wrong to do so.  They did what they had to do during those times to meet the challenges of their times.  It is up to the next administrations to build on or to correct those earlier solutions as times & needs change.  That is why we can't assume that what worked under Reagan or FDR would work today.  Again, the GOP was wrong to make the Reagan years its only roadmap going forward.  Of course now the GOP under Trump has abandoned Reagan and replaced him with a cult leader.   Trump will go down in history as one of the worst 2 presidents - him and Buchanan will fight over that distinction.   Sorry for the long reply. I was a young adult trying to start a family when Reagan became president.  I remember the fear of the Soviets and the fear of inflation & high interest rates all to well. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/special-reports/the-worst-presidents/slideshows/the-10-worst-presidents?slide=11

https://www.c-span.org/presidentsurvey2021/?page=overall

• TBH 2

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

How these f#&%nuts sleep at night is unreal to me.  There is no way that they can really believe in their own bulls#!t.

I am torn between whether politicians start to believe their own lies, or whether they just say them and then laugh behind closed doors.

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, nic said:

I am torn between whether politicians start to believe their own lies, or whether they just say them and then laugh behind closed doors.

Yes I know - we normal people would think "They can't possibly be that stupid."  But then we consider  the cult....

Not Smart GIFs | Tenor

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, TGHusker said:

The items in bold were well before Reagan's time. But perhaps you forget the Jimmy Carter years, the Cold War,  the crippled economic times and the dour/ hopeless mood of the nation.   Was Reagan perfect?- of course not.  Every president from Washington down to Biden have had issues that history would like to rectify.  As FDR was the right guy for his time, Reagan was the right guy for those days.  Unfortunately, the GOP has taken things which worked at the time and made it a doctrine (constant tax cuts for example) - which is wrong.  He was the right guy for that time and that is why historians typically put him in the top 10 (normally around 8th-9th) in presidential rankings.  No president can claim all of the credit for all of the good of their time nor should they be blamed for all of the bad.  What sets great ones (Wash, Lincoln, FDR, Jefferson, TR) & the near great (the next 5) apart from the others  is how they influenced their times and met the challenges of those times.  Would Reagan work in these times?  Probably not - other than his positive personality which we desperately need.   Each president must support solutions to their times.  One could argue that we can blame FDR and LBJ for the welfare state, high govt spending etc.  But that would be wrong to do so.  They did what they had to do during those times to meet the challenges of their times.  It is up to the next administrations to build on or to correct those earlier solutions as times & needs change.  That is why we can't assume that what worked under Reagan or FDR would work today.  Again, the GOP was wrong to make the Reagan years its only roadmap going forward.  Of course now the GOP under Trump has abandoned Reagan and replaced him with a cult leader.   Trump will go down in history as one of the worst 2 presidents - him and Buchanan will fight over that distinction.   Sorry for the long reply. I was a young adult trying to start a family when Reagan became president.  I remember the fear of the Soviets and the fear of inflation & high interest rates all to well. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/special-reports/the-worst-presidents/slideshows/the-10-worst-presidents?slide=11

https://www.c-span.org/presidentsurvey2021/?page=overall

You understand the irony of me not getting the obsession, and then your cult of personality reply hand washing the issues I pointed out, right? And I'm not even bringing up his biggest issues during his tenure, just the ones that persist today.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1