Riley and the Direction of the Program

Mavric

State of the Program  

124 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What we need is some Louisiana speed at the QB position. If only our coaches from the past regime would have recruited one!

Could not agree more
Maybe someone here could go check out an LSU message board and see if there are any prospects we missed out on?

Lowell Narcisse at QB would have been a guaranteed starter here.

What we need is some Louisiana speed at the QB position. If only our coaches from the past regime would have recruited one!

Could not agree more
Maybe someone here could go check out an LSU message board and see if there are any prospects we missed out on?

Lowell Narcisse at QB would have been a guaranteed starter here.

No way in hell. Poor man's Tommy Armstrong. I don't think he would have stayed more than a year before transferring.

• Fire 2

we need more speed everywhere, I don't care where it comes from.
Dont you live down south?
nupe. my peeps want me to move to 'gay paris' though, the way things are goin'. is that in the south? and, as a matter of principle, I am conducting an ongoing boycott of the state of al-abama as a whole...

Watched this thread for a while. Spinning away trying to figure out where I think Riley has this program going. It's not an easy question, at least for me.

Do I like the competitive QB room? Dang straight.

Am I concerned about the line play, both sides of the ball, with a lot of solid players but no super stars? Yes. This too.

But would I still like to think the recruiting is getting better every year with Riley? I would.

This is the bottom line. And it's pretty scary to anyone who wants Nebraska to have any chance of making it to big time bowl games and winning league championships....

Riley is almost out of time.

We knew going in that he was an older guy and the chances of him having a long tenure here, beyond 10 or so years, which is a short time really, were remote.

But I am not talking about that kind of running out of time. I am talking about blowing up in the fall, losing between six and eight games and seeing the coach get shown the door.

That is a real possibility, one that we all wish were not true.

But when you change your defensive scheme ... and you have a new QB.... and you have youth on the offensive line ... and you are replacing your main skill people at every position, then, OUCH. Good luck.

I could totally see Riley falling love with the forward pass at Callahan-esq levels this year, especially if he thinks we need to score a lot to make up for struggling defense.

That's not good.

And the idea of firing Riely scares the hell out of me too. Just who the hell would we be able to hire? How long would firing the coach set us back.... 5 years? ....longer?

Got to say I am not looking forward to this season because It could end up being the ugliest and the most depressing football we have ever seen from the Big Red.

• Fire 1

Watched this thread for a while. Spinning away trying to figure out where I think Riley has this program going. It's not an easy question, at least for me.

Do I like the competitive QB room? Dang straight.

Am I concerned about the line play, both sides of the ball, with a lot of solid players but no super stars? Yes. This too.

But would I still like to think the recruiting is getting better every year with Riley? I would.

This is the bottom line. And it's pretty scary to anyone who wants Nebraska to have any chance of making it to big time bowl games and winning league championships....

Riley is almost out of time.

We knew going in that he was an older guy and the chances of him having a long tenure here, beyond 10 or so years, which is a short time really, were remote.

But I am not talking about that kind of running out of time. I am talking about blowing up in the fall, losing between six and eight games and seeing the coach get shown the door.

That is a real possibility, one that we all wish were not true.

But when you change your defensive scheme ... and you have a new QB.... and you have youth on the offensive line ... and you are replacing your main skill people at every position, then, OUCH. Good luck.

I could totally see Riley falling love with the forward pass at Callahan-esq levels this year, especially if he thinks we need to score a lot to make up for struggling defense.

That's not good.

And the idea of firing Riely scares the hell out of me too. Just who the hell would we be able to hire? How long would firing the coach set us back.... 5 years? ....longer?

Got to say I am not looking forward to this season because It could end up being the ugliest and the most depressing football we have ever seen from the Big Red.

Could happen, he's gone 3-9 before, plenty of times, and from what I can tell, it really doesn't bother him--he's still getting paid. This is like a golden parachute gig for him and his wife.

Deal is, he's not a "sexy" name, and the more we don't win anything, the less "sexy" that name becomes. And the converse is true. But I just don't see where any "juice" comes from guy--he's more "vanilla" than DQ.

Good news is, if he does get shown the door, the easy solution is to, for real this time, open up the check book and get the "sexiest" best up and comer we can get, and it can turn around fast. Woulda been nice to get Fuente or Herman, seriously, they have a long bright future ahead of them.

I dunno, maybe Riles can get something done here, but seems like we're in a holding pattern. If neither POB or Gebbia works out, I think we're screwed.

I think Tanner Lee holds MR's future in his hands. He seems to be the only QB ready to play and if he can't put on a decent showing, that will impact this program severely. POB would be the man, asked to come in and stop the bleeding. Red shirt freshman that can do that, are hard to find! I'm a MR fan and like the way he handles the program. He was put in a bad spot coming into this job and has done as well as any available coach could have.