Bob Elliott is N

ADS

Not disappointed, just not super excited. Is the transition to a 3-4 for DB's that big of a change? People keep saying it's this huge deal that he knows the 3-4, I'm just wondering how much of a change it will even be for defensive backs. The selling point for me is that he's super experienced, that could be valuable with how young our staff is overall.

He will be able to help the overall defensive staff during the transition. Also, with him coaching safeties, I would think they will have more responsibilities on calls/checks from the secondary, so that requires knowledge of the defense. I wonder how they will handle the coaching responsibilities for the nickel backs, but it will probably be a combo between Williams and Elliott.

We have added some good recruiters, so I think it's good to have a guy that knows the X's and O's. Player development is just as important as recruiting in my opinion.

This isn't directed solely at your post, but there seems to be an assumption out there that a guy can't be BOTH.

I was just replying at some of the people that complained he could not recruit. I am sure he will be able to recruit as well, and I prefer coaches that can do both, but given there are 9/10 assistants, I am fine if 5 or 6 are stud recruiters and the others have a strength of X's and O's, its a nice balance.

We have added some good recruiters, so I think it's good to have a guy that knows the X's and O's. Player development is just as important as recruiting in my opinion.

This isn't directed solely at your post, but there seems to be an assumption out there that a guy can't be BOTH.

I was just replying at some of the people that complained he could not recruit. I am sure he will be able to recruit as well, and I prefer coaches that can do both, but given there are 9/10 assistants, I am fine if 5 or 6 are stud recruiters and the others have a strength of X's and O's, its a nice balance.

I hear ya. I'm curious to see how the working relationship between Williams/Elliott. The most interesting Spring in some time around here.

Rivals Rates the hire a B+

Local take: “Elliott fits Mike Riley’s mantra of wanting expert coaches and recruiters on his staff perfectly. Not only is Nebraska’s new safeties coach a highly regarded football mind, but Elliott is also extremely familiar with new defensive coordinator Bob Diaco and his 3-4 scheme. Elliott is also an energetic recruiter with deep connections that has recruited to the Midwest before, as well as for a program in Notre Dame that recruits nationally just as the Huskers do.” – Nate Clouse, HuskerOnline.com

Farrell’s take: “Elliott did some excellent recruiting work while at Notre Dame and works well on the recruiting trail with new defensive coordinator Bob Diaco. He’s done serious work in California, which can only help the Calibraska movement.”

Farrell’s Grade: B+

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you thinking that he can't recruit. He's brought in more 5 stars than any of our recruiters...at 1. Let that sink in a bit...every one of our coaches has room to improve and Bob Elliot snagged him a big fish while at ND.

I'm not arguing he can't recruit. I know almost nothing about the guy.

But recruiting 5 stars to ND is not the same as recruiting 5 stars to Nebraska. When/if he does the latter I'll be impressed. Until then (as far as his recruiting only) he's another guy who recruited 5 stars to ND.

• Fire 2

Notre Dame is just proof that Location is huge in recruiting. Notre Dame hasn't been relevant since what 1988? Yes I know they played for a NC a few years back but if you actually watched that team play and who they played against they were not that good. I've been to Notre Dame a bunch of times and their facilities are barely any better than Northwestern's which are terrible. If we are all honest we know most 5* recruits dont have their degree in the forefront of their college career so a Notre Dame education doesn't mean much if you don't graduate.

I'm not saying they can't but ND normaly recruits well. They can pull kids from Chicago, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Detroit and all those places are a short train ride or bus ride back home for these kids. That has to help some recruits decide to go there regardless of who is recruiting them. Gold helmets are pretty cool too I guess