Will There be War wt N Korea next 4 years

Will there be a War with N. Korea?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, GM_Tood said:
It’s sad that this is going down and Anderson Cooper is droning in as usual about Stormy and Cohen, and that Hannity is doing the same with Clinton and Mueller.

I dont watch CNN but it's at the top of cnn.com right now and they had an article near the top earlier today.

20 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

That's a surreal thing to watch. I'm filled with hope for the North Koreans, but am left wondering what Kim's motive is.

If this does happen, I will give Trump his due kudos.  But...mark me up at this point as skeptical to Kim's motives too.

I'm left with the question....Why now?

Past Presidents have put pressure on China to strengthened sanctions.  I'm wondering if Kim remembers what the west was like when he was in college and has finally realized his country sucks in comparison.

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If this does happen, I will give Trump his due kudos.  But...mark me up at this point as skeptical to Kim's motives too.

Past Presidents have put pressure on China to strengthened sanctions.  I'm wondering if Kim remembers what the west was like when he was in college and has finally realized his country sucks in comparison.

I'll admit, I haven't paid real close attention to US involvement (outside of Tweets) in the negotiations between North and South Korea.  But what actions has Trump's administration taken to make this happen.  I'm not being facetious, genuinely curious.  Trust me, I would like to think something good can come out of this presidency.

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Trump announcing he'd meet with NoKo, coupled with their advancing nuclear capabilities (or at least the perception they're advancing), gave Kim the one thing he desired... legitimacy. That's all this was really about. Him being left in power & looked at as a peer by countries like the United States, instead of a paranoid, psychotic a-hole who starves his own people and blows his own cabinet away with anti-aircraft guns.

It's going to be interesting to see how they change the company line with their propaganda, though. His own people have stuck with him this long because they're fed misinformation about how evil other countries are and how glorious Kim is. What will they do if and when he cozies up to the evil enemies?

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I'll admit, I haven't paid real close attention to US involvement (outside of Tweets) in the negotiations between North and South Korea.  But what actions has Trump's administration taken to make this happen.  I'm not being facetious, genuinely curious.  Trust me, I would like to think something good can come out of this presidency.

Called him names??  :dunno

Like I said, other Presidents have told China to put pressure on NK and strengthened sanctions.  They have also gotten NK to claim they were going to denuclearize.  So....I'm not sure how to answer your question.

Let me throw this out there.  IF this goes through (and that's a big IF)....is this a huge accomplishment for Tillerson?  He was over there negotiating and talking to China and SK over this issue.

I too am suspicious - look at the post from Knapp - there is a long history of them faking and dodging.  Yes, if this works out and Kim decides he and his country want to join the real world  - then Kudos to Trump and team.   Maybe Kim gets to stay in power, he gets the rest of the world to build up & feed his country wt new factories,  and it becomes the next Nike & Walmart manufacturing center. :dunno  My wife and I both laughed when we heard Trump call Kim 'honorable' the other day. What the.. heck

The fact is his family has brainwashed NK to fear and hate the USA- it would be difficult to turn the perceptions around.

The "gotten the US to treat him like a peer" thing is what I keep thinking about. This meeting, and Trump's if it happens, legitimizes Kim. And even if he gets rid of all of nukes and the ability to create them, people are still being tortured and starved in North Korea. I can see Trump, after Kim saying "we got rid of the nukes" announcing that he "solved this decades long problem in under 2 years!" And then what's going to happen is North Korea will for some reason not let inspectors come in.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The "gotten the US to treat him like a peer" thing is what I keep thinking about. This meeting, and Trump's if it happens, legitimizes Kim. And even if he gets rid of all of nukes and the ability to create them, people are still being tortured and starved in North Korea. I can see Trump, after Kim saying "we got rid of the nukes" announcing that he "solved this decades long problem in under 2 years!" And then what's going to happen is North Korea will for some reason not let inspectors come in.

Yep. Kim can't give up power in NK. There's no position in a unified Korea for Kim Jong Un.  Most likely scenario is they'd find some humanitarian crime he's guilty of (and they'll have their pick of thousands of such crimes) and he'll be executed. He knows that and he's not going to let that happen. 

So what's the endgame, here?

They sit down & make nice, Trump toots his own horn to tell us how amazing of a dealmaker he is & nothing really changes? As Tom Nichols pointed out above, there's a not-insignificant chance that they've halted their nuclear development & testing because their testing grounds literally imploded on itself. I doubt Kim ever actually denuclearizes, because then he loses his one piece of leverage. I agree he probably won't let inspectors step foot within his borders.

So what happens in the end? My guess is Trump tells us how amazing everything there is and how he fixed North Korea when no one else could - almost assuredly not the case if Kim responds as we expect him to - and we see how many Americans are uninformed enough to believe him.

• Plus1 1