DOJ Initial Russia Hearings

Read Comey's written correspondence to the Intel Committee here:

https://www.intelligence.senate.gov/sites/default/files/documents/os-jcomey-060817.pdf

Wow. That gives me the hebegebes :wacko::ohnoes If I was in his shoes, I would have felt like a 'marked' man by Trump - marked to play along or something bad would happen - which it did - his firing. If Comey comes across as credible in his testimony - Trump will be in a big pickle. In this case the DOJ investigation could find that no crime was committed regarding Russia but a crime of obstruction could be found. This is an insight on how Trump conducts his business. We can believe this is how he got contracts, cut costs, obtained favors by placing a heavy hand on the person he desired to move in a certain direction. Unfortunately for Trump, he is no longer in the private sector and Comey, ethically, stayed clear of the pressure and was not moved by the not so subtle intimidation. No one the other staffers have a 'fear' of offending Trump. If Trump can do this to a FBI director, just think what he does wt staffers.... :madash

Quick question, at the end of his term, or before he is officially impeached (hopefully soon), can he pardon himself for all of his past transgressions he engaged in while as President and while running for president? If so, would that make him immune from prosecution post-presidency and from impeachment? I know this would turn him into a lame duck president, but could he do this and basically get away with it with only a hit to his image?

Quick question, at the end of his term, or before he is officially impeached (hopefully soon), can he pardon himself for all of his past transgressions he engaged in while as President and while running for president? If so, would that make him immune from prosecution post-presidency and from impeachment? I know this would turn him into a lame duck president, but could he do this and basically get away with it with only a hit to his image?

No - otherwise Nixon would have pardoned himself. It took Gerald Ford's pardon to clear Nixon after Nixon resigned. Ford lost the election to Carter for doing so, but he felt it was the best thing to do to bring healing to the nation.

Would Pence do the same - not sure. There was more loyalty to Nixon by the Repub party than today's party's loyalty to Trump - which is non-existent only to the extent on how it may affect the party's overall goals.

I don't believe the president can pardon themselves if they've committed a crime. That would be a grievous abuse of power. I don't think they can offer himself protection from impeachment either. That just doesn't make sense... that's the whole point of impeachment. To overrule executive power to remove them from power.

I think that would fall to Pence. I wouldn't be surprised if he did it, either. Try to build a bridge to Trump voters for 2020.

If that happened, Trump's presidency would have been just one gigantic grift. Accrue a bunch of favors from those you put in power, build your prestige for future earnings potential & change some laws to benefit yourself financially, all while getting off scot free.