Complaining, Longing or Just Observing

I have no problem with a reporter or a fan pointing out negative issues within the program. However, it becomes annoying and I stop reading what a reporter (or fan) writes when that's all they do. There are good things happening in the program. There were good things happening in the program when Bo, Callahan, Solich..etc were here. Sports are supposed to be fun and constantly pointing out negatives without acknowledging and discussing the positives.....well.....makes it not fun.

I agree...I really think some of them really do feel like they have to act one way or the other.

A prime example of this is Dirk. When Bo was here, for some reason he had a cob up his azz about him and absolutely couldn't write anything good about what is going on. It was like it was his responsibility to inform everyone how horrible Bo is and how bad the program is being managed.

Now, I ultimately wanted Bo gone too. But...dadgumit......write something uplifting and fun about the program too.

• Fire 1

I have no problem with a reporter or a fan pointing out negative issues within the program. However, it becomes annoying and I stop reading what a reporter (or fan) writes when that's all they do. There are good things happening in the program. There were good things happening in the program when Bo, Callahan, Solich..etc were here. Sports are supposed to be fun and constantly pointing out negatives without acknowledging and discussing the positives.....well.....makes it not fun.

I agree...I really think some of them really do feel like they have to act one way or the other.

A prime example of this is Dirk. When Bo was here, for some reason he had a cob up his azz about him and absolutely couldn't write anything good about what is going on. It was like it was his responsibility to inform everyone how horrible Bo is and how bad the program is being managed.

Now, I ultimately wanted Bo gone too. But...dadgumit......write something uplifting and fun about the program too.

Dirk isn't a reporter. He's a columnist. His job is to give opinions and write "stories". If the air around the program is so negative as it was with Bo (which that's all I hear on this board), then I could see why Dirk would have more negative opinions. I do agree that Dirk has plenty of snark and liked to pushed Bo's buttons, but he also grew up in the state when NU was winning championships. I think that's all he wants to see at Nebraska.

I have always said that when things are going well with a program, the idea that it could somehow being going bad is rarely accepted as fact until evidence concretely proves that. Nebraska was No. 1 and headed for a national title game appearance when Colorado beat the dog out of us. Nobody saw that coming. If someone would have told me that day that the Buffs would beat the Huskers, I would have figured it to be a three-point game with the deciding points coming on the final play of the game. A beat down? I would have never thought that possible.

In our current state, the reality that most of us has been dealing with is that Nebraska struggles and that the best we can do is to win nine or 10 games. We feel that the team can't win the national title and have a less than great shot at a league crown. Is that true? It may be very true but the change of the circumstances, from being a mediocre team to a very good team that can win a conference title and contend for the playoffs, will have to be cemented before its believed. We can be headed in that direction right now. And I am starting to think we are. But to know it, we will have to see it.

Positive feelings were the default state under Coach Osborne, unless we are talking bowl games, a place we struggled often before breaking through against the Canes.

Negative feelings are the default state now.

It doesn't make you a bad fan to have negative feelings about your team now any more than it made people good fans for believing we would have no trouble going unbeaten back in 1988.

What's frustrating is that people want to jump to the conclusion that things are going to suddenly turn around because of a game or because of a recruiting class. We all want to believe that it will happen, but the satisfaction will come in seeing it take place, not imagining how good it might be when and if it does.

One of my Facebook friends is on the bandwagon right now that the team is recruiting a ton better this year and that means we are going to be restored as a power program soon. In reality, the recruiting right now, five 4* players on the Rivals chart, is only one 4* ahead of where we were last year.

So we hope. We have ups. We have downs. We have critical comments. And we wait, all of us, that at the end of the 2017 season we'll have game results as evidence that Nebraska is gaining ground toward where we want them to be.

• Fire 1

Now that I posted all that, I think I missed the boat on the thread just in that I am talking fans and everyone else is talking about the way things are reported. That said, reporters, even though most claim not to be fans, are humans. And they think along the lines of what is the default mentality. Very rare that a reporter actually figures out that team "A" is about to break through and, by the same token, very rare for a reporter to see that a program is on the verge of declining significantly.

• Fire 1

Dirk isn't a reporter. He's a columnist. His job is to give opinions and write "stories". If the air around the program is so negative as it was with Bo (which that's all I hear on this board), then I could see why Dirk would have more negative opinions. I do agree that Dirk has plenty of snark and liked to pushed Bo's buttons, but he also grew up in the state when NU was winning championships. I think that's all he wants to see at Nebraska.

He has also written some of the best researched articles about players/people/coaches around the program since Bo left. He could have done some of those while Bo was here. But, he allowed the negativism spew constantly from everything he wrote.

• Fire 2

He has also written some of the best researched articles about players/people/coaches around the program since Bo left. He could have done some of those while Bo was here. But, he allowed the negativism spew constantly from everything he wrote.

Not disagreeing with you there. Maybe he didn't have the same access (or felt like he couldn't get the access) when Bo was coach, as he does now.

I think a lot of people (not just Husker fans) have a hard time separating themselves from their teams. They take any criticism or slight to their team as if you assaulted their mothers with a Louisville Slugger®

• Fire 6

I think a lot of people (not just Husker fans) have a hard time separating themselves from their teams. They take any criticism or slight to their team as if you assaulted their mothers with a Louisville Slugger®

Why a Louisville Slugger? Are you dissing my brands like Mizuno and Easton and Rawlings? I'm offended. :-)

Why a Louisville Slugger? Are you dissing my brands like Mizuno and Easton and Rawlings? I'm offended. :-)

Because everyone knows what a Louisville Slugger is? :)

I agree. Sort of. With two possible exceptions. First, I think the manner in which the previous staff left can have an effect on the team buying into the new staff. For example, it probably doesn't help team chemistry if the previous staff rents an off-campus gymnasium and spends an hour bad mouthing the program. And I also think the lack of recruiting success of one staff can and does affect the next staff for a couple or three years. It might even have a large effect for a year or two. But by the fourth year the previous staff's recruiting shortcoming should no longer be an issue. GBR!

I get what you are saying but I think people need to stop with this idea that the players so mentally fragile. Like, Lightbourne had a hard time punting because SF died...No, that is probably not the case.

CL was an 18 year old kid that had to fill the shoes of SF that was looking to cap his college career with an all-American type season / was considered to be EVERYTHING that represents a Nebraska kid playing big time football at NU and unfortunately lost his life way before his time. If you don't think that mentally weighted on our punting stats for last year then we can agree to disagree.

• Fire 2

+1 for adding the trademark signal to Louisville Slugger®. :lol:

I think it's all three: complaining, observing, and longing.

As Nebraska fans, we are longing to get back to the national elite. Back to that place where, when national pundits talk about the best teams in the country every year they mention Nebraska.

As Nebraska fans, we're observing that we just don't have "it" quite yet. What is "it?" Talent? Heart? Work ethic? Passion? Great coaching/schemes? The problem is, there is no single definitive answer. It could be any one, all, or any in between, combination. Whatever the recipe is, we don't have it yet.

As Nebraska fans, yes we also complain (like every other fan base). We complain when referee calls don't go our way, when coaches make stupid calls, when back up players aren't playing, etc.

For me personally, I know what type of offense I want to see, but honestly, I don't care what offense we run as long as it is productive, efficient, explosive, and we win. I know...real revolutionary thinking.

I just want Mike Riley to get that breakthrough season and right now, that means finishing a season with less than 4 losses.

• Fire 2