The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

Just now, Danny Bateman said:

Nonsense.

The guy has always been prone to verbal gaffes. In that sense he's not as sharp as he was in his heyday. Half the time it's because he's working to suppress a stutter he's had since he was a boy. But this notion that he's a geriatric out there being propped up by his handlers is getting a bit out of hand.

Go watch a town hall of his if you want to see his ability to analyze and converse about complex issues. He's just not very good in debate settings.

I guess I get a way different sense of the guy. And I actually I didn’t realize this was any sort of  “notion out there” beyond my impression. You may be right, he may be much better in a town hall setting, I don’t know. But he sucks in debates and watching him speak last night, at his large Super Tuesday gathering, was rather disturbing and painful. IMO. Of course I’m sure my impression of him is jaded because I just don’t believe he believes what he is saying most of the time. I think he is past his prime and that there has to be much more coherent and better choices for President, but I suppose that could be said about the entire field of candidates for the last how ever many years.

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I guess I get a way different sense of the guy. And I actually I didn’t realize this was any sort of  “notion out there” beyond my impression. You may be right, he may be much better in a town hall setting, I don’t know. But he sucks in debates and watching him speak last night, at his large Super Tuesday gathering, was rather disturbing and painful. IMO. Of course I’m sure my impression of him is jaded because I just don’t believe he believes what he is saying most of the time. I think he is past his prime and that there has to be much more coherent and better choices for President, but I suppose that could be said about the entire field of candidates for the last how ever many years.

I agree with a lot of this. I do think your opinion of him is influencing your views a bit but that's fine. I'm glad to hear you'll vote for him if he wins.

He was certainly not my first choice either but I've come around a good deal on him. I don't think he's as sharp as he used to be either but there's a narrative out there that he's senile and mentally feeble and I think that's a bunch of bunk.

The field spat out a bunch of candidates this cycle with unique strengths and flaws. Turns out nobody cobbled together broad enough support to really take off so far but Biden and Bernie. I'm basically where Knapp's at: a return to responsible, competent governance, kindness and compassion under Biden or seeing if a populist, anti-establishment revolution can actually get it done under Bernie.

I'm a bit more optimistic about Biden than you, but ultimately either one of them is fine if it means dumping Trump.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

An adage I’ve never agreed with...

I think of voting as a game of "Would You Rather..."

We all would most likely want to have a 3rd more pleasant choice, but we have to choose between 2.  There is statistically zero chance a 3rd party candidate can win no matter how frustrating it may be.  That's why voting in primaries is so important, moderate voters NEED to get involved in this s#!t show.

• Plus1 1

And it gets trotted out hereabouts, a lot, when something doesn’t appear headed in the direction some people want.

OR, it has nothing to do with "I'm better than you," which is a trolling comment, and it's simple practicality.

Trump is the most corrupt, dangerous person in the Oval Office in our lifetime. Getting rid of him is, by any measure, the most important thing in this election. No policy comes remotely close.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, commando said:

i can't understand progressives not voting for the dem nominee if it isn't sanders.    trump is the anti-thesis of what bernie stands for.   bernie wants healthcare for all and don wants healthcare for none.   bernie supporters want more SS and trump and the GOP wants to reduce it.   sitting on your vote means you are ok if trump and his policies win.   :dunno

I'll vote for Biden if need be, but I'll do it through clenched teeth and with a pretty somber outlook.

Reason being is that Biden won't DO anything. We won't make any real substantitve change or progress. We'll just maybe stop the bleeding a little for another few years, then open up another opportunity for someone on either side to take over and keep gifting away our country to corporate and wealthy elite interests. 

Some progressives won't vote for the dem nominee because the Democratic party is crooked, self-serving and calcified. Because they're desperate for any chance at actually taking some desperately needed radical steps forward. Because they'd rather hold on to their integrity and their vote than violate their conscience by participating at all if anyone else (read, anyone sold out to the tried and true Political Machinery™)‬. I don't agree with them, but it's not hard to understand.

• Thanks 1

to be much more coherent and better choices for President

I was thinking about this last night.  How in the world do we end up wt 2 - 77 + year old  people as the final choices. In 2016 we had a dumpster fire of 2 very bad old candidates.  Yes we had younger people in the primaries this time  - but how do we end up here?  Can we not find enough experienced Upper 40s- 50-60 year olds with enough charisma and maturity and policy skills to run for the WH?  I was thinking of Reagan's complaint.  While acknowledging how old he was - he complained that the Soviet leaders were all dying off on him so he could never negotiate an end to the cold war.  We got old Trump and now old Bernie and Joe.  Nothing wrong with old - we are all heading that way, but I am literally concern that all 3 of them could die in office during the next presidential term.   Obama was in some respects a generational change - younger than GWB.  I had hoped the Dems would have provided a younger nominee.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Reason being is that Biden won't DO anything.

The best thing Biden can do is to select a very strong VP.  And maybe one that is a bit more progressive to hold the party together and give people like you more hope - people wanting Bernie.  As I note above, I have concerns Biden will make it the full 4 years.  So, if he chooses  a strong VP, hopefully a much younger one with energy and idea, then there can be reason to hope for more than just passing time. 

39 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I was thinking about this last night.  How in the world do we end up wt 2 - 77 + year old  people as the final choices. In 2016 we had a dumpster fire of 2 very bad old candidates.  Yes we had younger people in the primaries this time  - but how do we end up here?  Can we not find enough experienced Upper 40s- 50-60 year olds with enough charisma and maturity and policy skills to run for the WH?  I was thinking of Reagan's complaint.  While acknowledging how old he was - he complained that the Soviet leaders were all dying off on him so he could never negotiate an end to the cold war.  We got old Trump and now old Bernie and Joe.  Nothing wrong with old - we are all heading that way, but I am literally concern that all 3 of them could die in office during the next presidential term.   Obama was in some respects a generational change - younger than GWB.  I had hoped the Dems would have provided a younger nominee.

Because old people vote, and they vote for candidates they know, and names that are familiar. 

• Plus1 3