The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

19 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

To give you guys a bit more perspective on the movement Bernie Sanders started right now...you'll recall that many progressive talk show hosts and The Hill's "Rising" program were all about Bernie throughout the primaries.  Look at what they're doing now:

They're going to move on without Bernie. 

Policy and platform are key for those voters.  If Biden doesn't want to appeal to them, then he won't earn their vote.  He might not need it?  I don't claim to know.

I think I saw a metric one time that most Sanders supporters this time around were made up of 40% independents...so not even Democrats.  Not sure if that's true or not.

The more I read this conversation, the more this resembles the Trump cult.  Bernie started a "movement" that only his ideas are good enough and he's the only one that can deliver them.  The only way his followers are going to support anyone else is if they fall in line with Bernie.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Who do they lose those voters to?

The large non-voting population, already home to the cynical and lazy. 

Biden's support among Under 45 voters isn't good. Among his supporters, enthusiasm is at a 20 year low. I think that will edge up in the coming months.

But if you were a young Sanders supporter, or intrigued by Warren, or Yang, or Buttigieg, or anyone else in the diverse crop of Dem candidates, only to end up with Joe Biden, you might feel like the whole thing was pre-ordained by the old people who run the party. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The large non-voting population, already home to the cynical and lazy. 

Biden's support among Under 45 voters isn't good. Among his supporters, enthusiasm is at a 20 year low. I think that will edge up in the coming months.

But if you were a young Sanders supporter, or intrigued by Warren, or Yang, or Buttigieg, or anyone else in the diverse crop of Dem candidates, only to end up with Joe Biden, you might feel like the whole thing was pre-ordained by the old people who run the party. 

Biden is currently leading Trump among likely voters in every state.  I think this is going well enough right now.

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The more I read this conversation, the more this resembles the Trump cult.  Bernie started a "movement" that only his ideas are good enough and he's the only one that can deliver them.  The only way his followers are going to support anyone else is if they fall in line with Bernie.

I'm just ready to talk about Bernie as much as we talk about Buttigieg, Warren and O'Rourke in this thread.

Bernie dropped out a week ago and he's still being brought up. Probably time to make a new Bernie thread and focus on the candidates who are still running.

3 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

However, asking if I want to be outraged by something is a stupid post.  I did a facepalm emoji...that is hardly being outraged.  I guess you want to fit me in some narrative you have for these folks?

Oh yes, a facepalm emoji is OUTRAGE!!!!! so much OUTRAGE!!!!

Wtf are you two going on about.

LMAO from the tweet shows tons of outrage too.

LOOK

AT

THE

LINK

I POSTED

WTF is up with you?  I'm not pissed off. 

54 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

This constant amount of time i have to spend getting you folks to pay attention to what I'm saying instead of me as a previous Sanders supporter is exhausting.

Instead of addressing the issue, all you guys want to do is accuse me of being bitter, angry, upset, etc. etc. etc.  Sanders didn't win the nom, but his movement is well intact still...change will happen eventually as the generations age.  I'm patient.

Sorry blitz but it's clear to everyone that you are, if not outraged or butthurt, then at least having some sort of bitter meltdown. The reason people aren't addressing the issue is because your personal inability to engage in any kind of stoicism or to look at Biden with even 10% impartiality is clearly obvious. 

Sorry it's exhausting but you are presenting yourself as crazed and heartbroken. And this coming from someone who understands and sympathizes with your position probably more than anyone on here. 

• Plus1 2

59 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

it's is a logical fallacy that voting 3rd party is a vote for 1 or 2.  If you were saying something that was logically true, I'd agree with you.

It's neither a logical fallacy, nor a given. Like a lot of stuff, it's conditional. If you were among the people who reluctantly voted for Hillary Clinton rather than Jill Stein in 2016, but have decided not to support the Democratic nominee this year, you are reducing Joe Biden's margin of error and helping Donald Trump. If you are in a solid blue state or have no history of voting Democratic, your third party vote likely won't change a thing.  So it may not be as black and white as I suggested, but unless your third party vote pulls from the pool of non-voters or previous Trump supporters (it's possible), it works in Trump's favor. 

• Plus1 1
57 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

I think him just talking about them and saying he wants to reform them and wants Bernie to help him work on them would be enough to be honest.

It's why Bidens behavior flabbergasts me...he really could do so much more than he is.

Biden has literally done this. During their live stream together Bernie and Biden discussed areas that they need to work together and the six distinct working groups (health care, education, the economy, climate change, criminal justice and immigration) so they can hopefully get more collaboration done. 

Biden can't just adopt a bunch of Bernie's ideas wholesale. He just crushed a primary ~70% of people chose to vote for someone other than Bernie. He can't just flip on a dime and tell those people his platform was a lie and he will be running on Bernie's platform. I think the way they're doing it is correct - seeking legitimate compromise between two different groups. Perhaps he's just not doing it at the pace you want?

FYI the two policy ideas you're asking about were announced right after Bernie dropped out: Expanding Medicare (lowering age to 60) and student debt relief.

38 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

He's posted videos with Krystal Ball in the past. This is the far left's version of fox and friends. They've ran hit pieces on Elizabeth Warren for not being left enough. Not to mention Ball is a known grifter - she started a PAC in which she paid herself $174,000 and during that same span $22,000 went to support the actual candidates. Far from the most trustworthy of news sources, I'm sure the people who get their news from there are pretty culty. 

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

I dont' think it does.

Trump bases his entire message on QANON BS and lies.

Bernie didn't do that.  A majority of Sanders supporters just want to help homeless people, rebuild the middle class, get healthcare for everyone so there are less sick people, etc.

That's a far cry different than Trump.

So I don't really think they are the same.

No, it's not different.  Trumpees follow Trump because they believe he's the only one that knows how to make America Great Again.  He's God and can do no wrong.

Bernie Bros follow Bernie because he's the only one with ideas on how to save the world.  He's God and can do no wrong.

OH...and then add in the fact that if Bernie isn't nominated, it's because he got screwed by a rigged corrupt system that doesn't allow the one person who can save the world to be elected.

• Thanks 1

Biden is currently leading Trump among likely voters in every state.  I think this is going well enough right now.

Sanders was leading Trump by similar numbers, or better, yet was considered unelectable.

I don't think any pollsters or consultants feel the least bit comfortable with Biden's lead at the moment, and it appears Biden is being urged to extend his hand to the Progressive wing rather than bend towards disgruntled Republicans and independents, the mythical creatures who never came out for Hillary Clinton.

It may indeed be going well enough for now. November feels like a lifetime away. 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

It is different.  I know people in both places...I was in the USAF for quite some time and a majority of the people I made friends with during that time are Trumpers.

There is NOTHING that is the same between them and Bernie supporters. 

Bernies movement is continuing on without him.  Sorry to deflate that balloon but that's what's happening right now.

The only thing that's different is their views on the world.  The underlying devotion and anger towards anyone who differs in their beliefs are the same.

The only reason Bernie's movement is supposedly moving on (which hasn't been proven yet) is that he's not in the race anymore.  Once Trump is defeated, the "movement" that he created, will continue in some form.  

Sorry to burst your bubble.

2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Sanders was leading Trump by similar numbers, or better, yet was considered unelectable.

I don't think any pollsters or consultants feel the least bit comfortable with Biden's lead at the moment, and it appears Biden is being urged to extend his hand to the Progressive wing rather than bend towards disgruntled Republicans and independents, the mythical creatures who never came out for Hillary Clinton.

It may indeed be going well enough for now. November feels like a lifetime away. 

Heck, February seems like a year ago.

I'm just ready to talk about Bernie as much as we talk about Buttigieg, Warren and O'Rourke in this thread.

Bernie dropped out a week ago and he's still being brought up. Probably time to make a new Bernie thread and focus on the candidates who are still running.

We still talk about Bo Pelini, you know.