The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

Just now, Frott Scost said:

Will you donate to Biden? Text for him? Go knock doors for him? Does he inspire you to want to take time away from your day to day life to help him win?

I will come this fall/post convention.  Does he inspire me -- no.  What inspires me is seeing tRump kicked out of the WH onto his rump.   If I as a center right, still registered as GOPer, -( so I can have a vote in a primary in Okla), support Uncle Joe than I think anyone who wants tRump out of office should swallow their ideological purity pride and do the same.    Will my actions in deep red Okla matter much - no. Okla will go for tRump. But I can persuade via eml, text etc and on HB people outside of Okla. 

• Plus1 2

22 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

He's adopted 2?  Do tell...all I've seen in possibly 15 dollar minimum wage.

The chances I'm referring to are when Bernie endorsed him...he could have done more than lowering medicare to 60 (doesn't help Bernies youth movement).  At the same time his endorsement from Bernie was happening...7 large youth political action groups penned an open letter to him asking for concessions.  He didn't reply or address them publicly.  That's chance number one.

Chance number two was with this fundraising letter that has the subject line "Not me. Us."  This was a good chance to once again, appeal to Bernies base...but instead of doing that, he stated in the letter that he's going to continue the work Bernie put in...and no one, at all, will believe that.  This is chance number two that he blew.

it doesn't matter what THOSE VOTERS attitude is...they'll not vote for Biden anyway.  He should try appealing to those that are waiting to see what he'll do.

But yet you repeatedly use those voters as evidence about how horrible Biden is. 

1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

If you're all for Democracy, leave people alone who vote for 3rd party.  It's valid and it's their right to vote how they see fit.

If you want Biden to win, get the people who usually DON'T vote and engage them...there are far more of them than Sanders supporters.

I've voted for Bernie Sanders twice and Third Party candidates twice, and the moderate Democratic nominee more times than I care to count, and I recently made a similar post suggesting Biden needs to engage the people who DON'T vote rather than preemptively blaming Sanders supporters. I respect everyone's right to express their opinion through the sacred act of voting. 

But a vote for anyone other than Joe Biden helps Donald Trump. Own it however you want, but that's the math. 

3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I will come this fall/post convention.  Does he inspire me -- no.  What inspires me is seeing tRump kicked out of the WH onto his rump.   If I as a center right, still registered as GOPer, -( so I can have a vote in a primary in Okla), support Uncle Joe than I think anyone who wants tRump out of office should swallow their ideological purity pride and do the same.    Will my actions in deep red Okla matter much - no. Okla will go for tRump. But I can persuade via eml, text etc and on HB people outside of Okla. 

I'll put up yard signs in NE.

I'll talk to coworkers and friends although we mostly agree (I'm in Omaha)

I'm actually more interested in putting up anti-Trump signs than anything else.  Ideas?

3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This is the world we live in.  In a post somewhere here, I talked about a friend freaking out about Obama filling out a NCAA bracket on TV and how his time should be spent more wisely.  This friend always talked about "crazy" liberals and not giving America over to them.  Don't get me wrong, he is a "crazy" conservative.  But I started to realize the people that he was talking about.  

The thing about a spectrum is there is a gradient of beliefs.  Some fall far right and others far left.  Most people understand that there is calculus involved in developing a platform and what needs to be set as priorities.  But social media has given a voice to the far ends of the spectrums.  I think this is more dangerous than FoxNews (although FoxNews is trying to do the calculus of their viewers consuming social media).

I know it is against the 1st amendment and will never happen, but I would love for Twitter and Facebook to be gone tomorrow.  I don't give two s#!ts about what you watched on TV last night or where you went on vacation.  If I really cared, I'd call you and make a point to ask...

People always want to validate their opinions. On twitter you can always find someone with 10k+ followers that is spouting off your opinion as fact, therefore you are validated in your belief. Biden has Dementia, Bernie is a Communist, Trump is a Putin asset. People stopped getting their news from actual factual sources and forming their own opinions. It's extremely annoying. 

• Plus1 2

14 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I'm actually more interested in putting up anti-Trump signs than anything else.  Ideas?

how about a yard sign with a play on joes name.    Bye Don

EVR_dCJWoAEgsfM?format=jpg&name=small

Just now, commando said:

how about a yard sign with a play on joes name.    Bye Don

I live on a corner lot and have a long privacy fence along the street.

I was thinking about putting up Trump quotes.  Most of my neighbors will probably have Trump/Pence signs.

"Moved on her like a bi**h!"

"Grab 'em by the Pu**y"

"the President has complete authority"

"I take no responsibility"

etc...

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I've voted for Bernie Sanders twice and Third Party candidates twice, and the moderate Democratic nominee more times than I care to count, and I recently made a similar post suggesting Biden needs to engage the people who DON'T vote rather than preemptively blaming Sanders supporters. I respect everyone's right to express their opinion through the sacred act of voting. 

But a vote for anyone other than Joe Biden helps Donald Trump. Own it however you want, but that's the math. 

p.s. I honestly don't mind threatening not to vote for Joe Biden if the leverage pushes Joe to the left on the many issues that Democratic voters actually support. If Joe Biden sticks by his record, the Democrats will have lost a generation or two of voters.

But come November, I think the choice will still be black and white. 

• Plus1 1

Why Trump’s slump is likely to last all year

Trump is in an increasingly precarious position for reelection as he struggles to maintain focus on the coronavirus pandemic, instead nursing his personal grievances against the press and his political rivals in a time of crisis. He has already squandered the “rally around the flag” bounce that he received in the immediate aftermath of the crisis, and polling suggests that the president is losing ground to presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden both nationally and in key battleground states.

There’s an understandable tendency for pundits to hedge their analysis of the 2020 presidential race, given how Trump’s 2016 victory upended so much conventional wisdom at the time. But the reality is that, absent a speedy V-shaped economic turnaround by the fall, Trump is now a decided underdog for a second term.

The latest wave of national polling underscores the challenges that the president faces. All the surveys show Trump losing ground from a brief uptick at the beginning of the crisis, with his popularity dipping most noticeably among independents.

The latest Morning Consult tracking poll, conducted between April 10-12, shows Trump’s overall approval rating slumping to 43 percent, with 53 percent disapproving. His approval on the coronavirus crisis slipped to 45 percent, down 8 points since it peaked in mid-March. He’s now underwater with independents, a reversal from last month.

The new Navigator Research tracking survey, a Democratic polling initiative, found similar findings: Support for Trump’s handling of the crisis hit its lowest level since the disease began spreading in the U.S., with 46 percent approving and 50 percent disapproving. Deeper inside the poll lies another cause for alarm for Team Trump: Right now, a majority of Americans still approve of his handling of the economy, including a plurality of independents. But that number probably has nowhere to go but down: If the economic downturn worsens, Americans are likely to take out their dissatisfaction on the president.

And the Republican consulting firm Firehouse Strategies, whose surveys have generally been favorable to the president, had more sober news. Its poll from April 4-10 found Trump trailing Biden by 10 points (53 to 43 percent) among registered voters. All of this month’s national polls testing Trump against Biden have found the president stuck between 39 and 44 percent of the vote.

Trump’s latest performance in battleground states isn’t any better. In traditionally Republican Arizona, a must-win state for Trump, he trails Biden 52 to 43 percent in a new OH/Predictive Insights poll. He’s down by 6 points to Biden in Florida, in an April University of North Florida survey, despite his generally sunny track record in the state. Biden led Trump in a trifecta of Michigan polls conducted in March. According to the RealClearPolitics statewide polling averages, Biden is ahead in every swing state.

Even Wisconsin, one of Trump’s strongest battlegrounds on the map, isn’t looking like a safe bet for Republicans. This week, Jill Karofsky, the liberal candidate for the state Supreme Court, handily defeated conservative justice Dan Kelly by a 10-point margin in a contest that served as a proxy for competing partisan passions. Trump endorsed Kelly, while Republicans opposed delaying the election this month in hopes of capitalizing on lower turnout during the pandemic. Those tactics backfired in a big way.

You just hate to see it.

1 minute ago, BlitzFirst said:

I'm a Sanders supporter...I've been asked about Sanders supporters mindsets and I'm answering from that perspective.

It should be absolutely apparent that I'm doing this.

This doesn't explain the constant "That's your opinion" refrain.

It's almost like there are two sets of rules. One for when others express their opinion and one for when you express yours.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Print out all of knaaps posts about trump and make them into one giant, giant, giant giant, yard sign!

Or just do something like "If the Virus doesn't kill America...Trump will.  NoTrump2020"

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This doesn't explain the constant "That's your opinion" refrain.

It's almost like there are two sets of rules. One for when others express their opinion and one for when you express yours.

It is called hypocrisy, welcome to the real world (Not the MTV show)

The problem is...the defeatist attitude.  

"Oh gosh gee willikers, I am not going to waste my vote on the person I really want"

Well...if everyone thinks like that, yeah, it is a waste.  But if all you big talkers were busting your a$$ to not only promote your 3rd parth girl/guy but also out there getting people to vote for that person, things could change.

Stop b!^@hing about other people and how they vote.  Go change peoples minds and get them to vote with you.