The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

3 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

It really doesn't matter if it was only 30 seconds of a 5 or 10 or 30 minute interview...the fact that it even happens is worthy of discussion.  It's happened so frequently in the past and continues to do so.

I wondered if anyone was worried about it.

I can see by how everyone didn't address the subject of what I posted and the questions I posed and instead just focused on who the tweet was from (it was embedded in the article I linked to at the top of the post). 

Instead of actually discussing things rationally, we get Biden Bros swooping in and talking about how far right I've swung because I put a single tweet from Don Jr. on a message board.  I guess that's a great example of group think.

wtf is there to talk about?  unless something drastic happens our choice is trump or biden....or glorp the dead martian dog if you prefer.  do you think you are going to change that?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

It really doesn't matter if it was only 30 seconds of a 5 or 10 or 30 minute interview...the fact that it even happens is worthy of discussion.  It's happened so frequently in the past and continues to do so.

I wondered if anyone was worried about it.

I can see by how everyone didn't address the subject of what I posted and the questions I posed and instead just focused on who the tweet was from (it was embedded in the article I linked to at the top of the post). 

Instead of actually discussing things rationally, we get Biden Bros swooping in and talking about how far right I've swung because I put a single tweet from Don Jr. on a message board.  I guess that's a great example of group think.

Out of curiosity did you watch the townhall last night? It does matter because it appears you’re looking through a pin hole and acting like you’re seeing the entire picture. My opinion? He flubbed a 20 second answer and was completely fine, with it, and sharp the entire rest of the time. I’m gonna assume his cognitive status is more in line with what I’ve seen 99.9% of the time and not the .1%. But again a 2 minute clip about his plan for opening the country or a 2 minute clip about his White House transition plan isn’t polarizing and doesn’t back up a silly narrative.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Now you know all about me and what I believe based on a single post referencing a moron even though it gives mindset of Trumps camp and gives credence to the discussion?

The irony of this is, you're upset that someone is making sweeping judgements about you based on one post.  Meanwhile, the post takes a tweet that takes a 20 second clip out of a much longer interview and tries to make a sweeping judgement based on just that.

Rather interesting.

• Plus1 2

My wife and I watched every debate...maybe not in entirety, but hours of each...

Biden had these types of issues during every single debate. Not with regards to every question, but at least once every time. Both she and I concluded (No MD here though)...that there was definite early signs of memory loss/dementia. We have both witnessed it in our family members. Agreed, some of Joe's other answers were on point and lucid...but to infer it doesn't happen, or it is only stuttering, or to insist it is unfair to point it out doesn't work either. 

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, commando said:

wtf is there to talk about?  unless something drastic happens our choice is trump or biden....or glorp the dead martian dog if you prefer.  do you think you are going to change that?

A WILD SPACE COMMANDER WACK REFERENCE APPEARS!!!!  :D :lol::clap

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

My wife and I watched every debate...maybe not in entirety, but hours of each...

Biden had these types of issues during every single debate. Not with regards to every question, but at least once every time. Both she and I concluded (No MD here though)...that there was definite early signs of memory loss/dementia. We have both witnessed it in our family members. Agreed, some of Joe's other answers were on point and lucid...but to infer it doesn't happen, or it is only stuttering, or to insist it is unfair to point it out doesn't work either. 

I would be interested in a speech pathologists opinion as to if something like this happens with people who have a stutter problem.  It's very possible.  I could see a situation where he feels himself starting to stutter and he loses concentration.  That doesn't mean his thought process is not there.  The articulation of it is the problem.  I actually think this has been a problem of his for a very long time.  It's not like it's just started happening in the last few years.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would be interested in a speech pathologists opinion as to if something like this happens with people who have a stutter problem.  It's very possible.  I could see a situation where he feels himself starting to stutter and he loses concentration.  That doesn't mean his thought process is not there.  The articulation of it is the problem.  I actually think this has been a problem of his for a very long time.  It's not like it's just started happening in the last few years.

I don't remember noticing it when he was interviewed as Obama's VP...but that spotlight was not nearly has bright then as now

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

He's looking a little rough around the edges.

Notice he says "in a swing state".  Yep....my vote doesn't mean much in Nebraska.

i am in nebraska and going to vote like it is the vote that tips the scales.    probably won't...but i am sure as sh..... well...i am casting it

• Plus1 1

Just now, commando said:

i am in nebraska and going to vote like it is the vote that tips the scales.    probably won't...but i am sure as sh..... well...i am casting it

I at least live in the Omaha area.  A very small (but not at all impossible) chance to get 1 electoral vote.

21 minutes ago, commando said:

I typically vote my conscience.  Meaning, I will vote for whomever I feel I can support.  I absolutely can't support Trump.  Last election, I couldn't support either one.  I will be voting for Biden this election.  I know it won't mean anything.  But, it will be one more tally in the total in this red state against the worst President of my lifetime.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
54 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I typically vote my conscience.  Meaning, I will vote for whomever I feel I can support.  I absolutely can't support Trump.  Last election, I couldn't support either one.  I will be voting for Biden this election.  I know it won't mean anything.  But, it will be one more tally in the total in this red state against the worst President of my lifetime.

Bingo - you and I are in the same boat brother.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

From what I gather changing words mid-sentence is common symptom of stutterers and sometimes is sometimes actually used to avert a stutter. 

It's something that Biden has dealt with since he was child. Here's a very good albeit lengthy article in the Atlantic if you want to read more about it.

Not a speech path but there's an interesting blurb in there from a speech coach who worked with him:

In September, before the third Democratic debate, in Houston, I called Michael Sheehan, a Washington, D.C.–area communications coach whose company website boasts clients ranging from Nike to the Treasury Department. Sheehan worked with President Bill Clinton while he was in office and began consulting on and off for Biden in 2002, when he was in the Senate. On the day we spoke, he was in Wilmington, Delaware, doing debate prep with Biden.

Sheehan and I traded stories of daily indignities—­­he stutters too. “I remember exactly where the deli was; it was on 71st and First Avenue,” he said with an ache in his voice. He lamented the interventionists, the people who volunteer, “ ‘You know, why don’t you speak more slowly?’ I always want to say ‘Holy s#!t! Why didn’t I think of that? Thank you!’ ”

Sheehan’s own stutter improved, but didn’t fully go away, when he took up speech and debate in high school. This eventually led him to the theater, which is a common, if surprising, place where some stutterers find that they’re able to speak with relative ease. Taking on a character, another voice, the theory goes, relies on a different neural pathway from the one used in conversation. Many successful actors have battled stutters—Samuel L. Jackson, Bruce Willis, Emily Blunt, James Earl Jones. In 2014, Jones, whose muscular baritone is the bedrock of one of the most quoted lines in film history, told NPR that he doesn’t use the word cured to describe his apparent fluency. “I just work with it,” he said.

Sheehan was extremely careful with the language he used to describe Biden’s speech patterns—“I can’t say it’s a stutter”—­though he noted his friend’s habit of abruptly changing directions mid-sentence. “I do hear those little pauses, but I really don’t hear the stuff that you would hear from me or I would hear from you,” he said. A few minutes into our conversation, he choked up while discussing Biden’s tender­ness toward young stutterers. “Sometimes I feel when he goes a little long on a speech, he’s just making up for lost time, you know?”

People who cite this as evidence for something like dementia are woefully misinformed.

• Fire 1