The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

23 minutes ago, commando said:

good ad

I posted a story earlier today about how Trump and the GOP want to make everything about blaming China because they can't dwell on their own ineptitude.

If Biden keeps hitting him with ads like this it's going to make portraying Trump as tough on China very difficult.

• Plus1 1

46 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

"It's all just performance...  It's all just marketing..."

Well, duh!

That ad may not work on you, the guy posting the video, or the lady in the Tweet he referenced, but it worked on me.  It actually echoes a lot of the attitudes I see in social media circles that are tired of just "making fun of Trump" and want to get back to the belief of "when they go low, we go high" mantra.

I think the guy in the video may be overreacting a bit.  

Edit to add:  It's important to remember that this isn't Biden's only ad that will be shown to everyone.  Biden had a really good one's in this thread that target Trump policies and how they've hurt Americans.  If a person is expecting policy discussions in a 60 sec commercial, they are dreaming.  The only thing you can effectively do in 30/60 seconds is create an emotion within the viewer and then attach it to something.

Sending a message of "we're the good guys" isn't a bad thing.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Well, duh!

That ad may not work on you, the guy posting the video, or the lady in the Tweet he referenced, but it worked on me.  It actually echoes a lot of the attitudes I see in social media circles that are tired of just "making fun of Trump" and want to get back to the belief of "when they go low, we go high" mantra.

Edit to add:  It's important to remember that this isn't Biden's only ad that will be shown to everyone.  Biden had a really good one's in this thread that target Trump policies and how they've hurt Americans.  If a person is expecting policy discussions in a 60 sec commercial, they are dreaming.  The only thing you can effectively do in 30/60 seconds is create an emotion within the viewer and then attach it to something.

You don't mean it "worked on you" as in...it is making you now vote for Joe, right?  You just mean you liked it.

No one is actually swayed by a commercial are they?

7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

You don't mean it "worked on you" as in...it is making you now vote for Joe, right?  You just mean you liked it.

No I mean it!  Joe has my vote!

I just ripped my MAGA hat off my head and threw it in the trash.  I'm now on my way outside to paint over the TRUMP I have painted on my barn.  Kinda windy though, so watch out for over-spray if you're driving down I-80...

edit: but I still love bacon! No one's gonna change my mind on that!

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

No I mean it!  Joe has my vote!

I just ripped my MAGA hat off my head and threw it in the trash.  I'm now on my way outside to paint over the TRUMP I have painted on my barn.  Kinda windy though, so watch out for over-spray if you're driving down I-80...

edit: but I still love bacon! No one's gonna change my mind on that!

HAHAHA!

Noice!

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Lots of people are. It's been proven. I'm guessing most people who are swayed don't even realize it. Just think about how much $ these companies are spending. You know they are paying data analysts/statisticians hundreds of thousands of dollars to study this stuff, and they wouldn't be doing that if it didn't work.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Lots of people are. It's been proven. I'm guessing most people who are swayed don't even realize it. Just think about how much $ these companies are spending. You know they are paying data analysts/statisticians hundreds of thousands of dollars to study this stuff, and they wouldn't be doing that if it didn't work.

Yes, I do know they pay people a lot of money to chart this stuff.  It is a huge waste of money.

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Yes, I do know they pay people a lot of money to chart this stuff.  It is a huge waste of money.

No, it isn't. But it doesn't really matter if you believe the science. It's someone else profiting from it.

And I'm not talking about Biden's ad in case that wasn't clear. Ads in general. Good ones work on people.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

No, it isn't. But it doesn't really matter if you believe the science. It's someone else profiting from it.

And I'm not talking about Biden's ad in case that wasn't clear. Ads in general. Good ones work on people.

Ahhh, I was talking about Biden's ad, that particular ad.

Yes, there is a "science" to it, maybe a bit more of a "soft science" in some aspects.  I read an article with Will Smith years and years ago...he said him and his agent wanted to "figure out" what made a summer blockbuster...so they studied it, and they sort of realized there was/is a bit of a formula to the summer blockbuster (cleary it is more of a soft science than a true formula but it still shows it can work)...and if you remember Will Smith ripped off a bunch of huge summer hits in a row.  It was interesting to read about what they discovered. 

27 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Ahhh, I was talking about Biden's ad, that particular ad.

Yes, there is a "science" to it, maybe a bit more of a "soft science" in some aspects.  I read an article with Will Smith years and years ago...he said him and his agent wanted to "figure out" what made a summer blockbuster...so they studied it, and they sort of realized there was/is a bit of a formula to the summer blockbuster (cleary it is more of a soft science than a true formula but it still shows it can work)...and if you remember Will Smith ripped off a bunch of huge summer hits in a row.  It was interesting to read about what they discovered. 

It's a combination of both. You have to use statistics to show whether the ads you've already made actually had an effect and hopefully figure out what about them made them work. But knowing where to start from in the first place might be more psychology. But then psychology uses statistics.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, funhusker said:

Well, duh!

It's a weak ad. There's nothing of any substance in it. "If we work together, we can beat Trump." You can replace Trump with anything and it's the same message. The Biden ad post just above this one was much better.

13 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

I posted a story earlier today about how Trump and the GOP want to make everything about blaming China because they can't dwell on their own ineptitude.

If Biden keeps hitting him with ads like this it's going to make portraying Trump as tough on China very difficult.

Sad thing is, his followers will never understand this ad. They will continue making excuses and blaming everyone else. 

Somehow it’s Hillary’s fault.