The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

Uhhhh... so by this logic cops posting tips about bank robbers are encouraging... bank robbing?

Be real.

There's an agenda behind this Reade thing. Look who keeps pushing it. Talking about who is pushing it isn't pushing it.

You want to be an edgelord hero, change the conversation. Don't post this nonsense.

I'm not trying to change the conversation. You are. You've posted at least half a dozen times about, "Why is nobody talking about Trump's accusers but is talking so much about Reade?", when you, in fact, aren't talking about the former and are talking plenty about the latter.

There was an agenda behind the Blasey Ford thing too. The left was trying to use her to keep Kavanaugh out of the SC. There was an agenda behind the Access Hollywood tape too. There's always an agenda behind all of it. 

And no, the Barbara Streisand Effect, in sort, doesn't apply to all situations in the same way. 

• Plus1 2

Interesting thing I didn't know - 6 months before the election the current president must, by law, start the transition process in case he loses the election.

Based on the article, Biden is already counting his chickens too. 

https://apnews.com/528de64ba835d858146c9b4b0bcf5751

Trump is standing up a council under the first deployment of the Presidential Transition Act by an incumbent running for another term after Congress moved in 2015 to better ensure continuity of government when one president hands off to another.

Making sure presidential candidates are ready to take charge of the federal government became a priority after the Sept. 11 attacks, but the effort takes on new urgency because of the coronavirus pandemic and associated economic turmoil.

“The relevance of transition planning has intensified since it could be the first election since 1932 where we had more than 20% unemployment, more than twice as high as the unemployment rate in 2008,” said David Marchick, director of the Center for Presidential Transition at the nonpartisan Partnership for Public Service. “You add to that a health crisis and the potential for a virtual transition. The degree of complexity has increased significantly.”

Under the act, Trump must name members of the transition council and a senior White House employee to chair it no later than six months before Election Day, which is Sunday. Trump is expected to tap Chris Liddell, deputy chief of staff for policy coordination, according to two senior administration officials. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss internal plans.

Liddell is already leading the administration’s preparations for a second term, itself effectively a mini-transition, as history shows vast turnover at that point in a presidency.

Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic nominee, expressed skepticism to donors Tuesday that the Trump White House would work to provide a smooth transition.

“The Bush administration worked very closely with Barack and me, with our administration in terms of handing over power in the transition,” Biden recalled of the 2007-08 period ahead of Barack Obama’s inauguration. “I hope it’s as smooth as it was – and I doubt it, but I hope so.”

Biden has been discussing transition plans with former Delaware Sen. Ted Kaufman, a longtime top aide who was appointed to fill Biden’s Senate seat when he became vice president. Biden assured donors that he’s proceeding regardless of how Trump handles the matter.

The former vice president said he’s already considering his Cabinet secretaries and “sub-Cabinet” political appointees. Biden added that he has contemplated the unusual step of identifying some top Cabinet picks “even before we are able to win” so that voters will “have a better idea of what my administration will look like.”

T

he law requires presidential candidates and the General Services Administration to reach a memorandum of understanding that governs everything from the provision of federal office space to access to sensitive documents by Sept. 1, though generally it is reached sooner.

Tara Reade's Sexual Assault Allegation Against Joe Biden Is Falling Apart

EDITOR’S NOTE: This article was originally published for Banter Members, but is now available for free. Several readers urged me to publish the piece to a wider audience given the seriousness of Tara Reade’s accusations against Joe Biden. As the story gained attention and began to be heavily politicized by both the far left and far right, I began to agree. I believe it is crucial that media outlets commit to treating the case objectively given the gravity of the allegations, regardless of political affiliation. Tara Reade has a right to be heard, and the media has the right to thoroughly investigate her claims. Unfortunately for Reade and her politically motivated supporters, the objective assessment of her claims has uncovered some extremely concerning inconsistencies.

New information has also come to light that casts further doubt on Tara Reade’s claims that have been added at the end of the piece. As Joan Walsh in The Nation wrote, “To those who hectored the media to investigate the allegations about Biden, believing it would validate Reade’s charges, the old adage applies: Be careful what you wish for.”

This is a well-researched look into Reade's story, and provides a timeline that does not benefit her allegations.

Note - the author is not that Ben Cohen, of Bernie Sanders campaign/Ben & Jerry's fame.

Nathan J. Robinson also was in contact with Reade's brother between the two interviews he gave to WaPo, and got him to "clarify" what he told the WaPo reporter (because you wouldn't lead with "my sister told me she was sexually assaulted by Joe Biden) to the reporter?

Robinson defends his actions thusly:

Which means Robinson can produce the email(s) to clarify. Or the brother can.

But this whole thing is brewing almost exclusively in far left echo chambers, and the lack of clarity and/or evidence is starting to look a little troubling.  Plus the links and the timeline provided in the first story, regarding Reade's interest in Russia and what she exactly told the lawyers through Time's Up, do not paint her as a reliable witness.

I think Progressives have hung their collective hat on a story that will, eventually, not endear them to mainstream Americans. And that's going to spell trouble for them long-term if they expect their ideas to get a serious listen from the electorate.

People can post and complain about what Biden and/or Hunter may have or are alleged to have done, but in the CONTEXT of the inevitable election between Biden and Trump:

1.  Complaining about Biden's sexual assault accusation doesn't hold water, because Trump has about 12 of his own.

2.  Complaining about Hunter's cushy board gig with Burisma and whatever else he benefited from doesn't hold water because the Trump's have essentially written the Book on Nepotism. 

Call it two bad candidates or whatever you want, but complaining about one when the other's done the same or worse is just silly.

Now unless you have new EVIDENCE of something illegal (that hasn't been reported already) regarding either 1 or 2 with either candidate, please just find something more constructive to b!^@h about.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

He's had quite a bit more hair back then! Ventura's been off-the-grid for sometime now but he's probably still mulling things over.

The Running Man is one of my favorite Arnold movies, FWIW.

Ahnold is good at the narrow range of characters he can play.  I loved the first half of TRM, the 2nd half got too looney toons.  Didn't Jim Brown suddenly burst out of the backfield? 

Because neither candidate is especially well liked, this is an election that 3rd or 4th parties could seriously mess up.  Although probably not with the names that are floating about this week.