Tanner Lee 2017 Stats O/U

I think if you take Tanner Lee's numbers at Tulane, Riley's history at Oregon State, the last two seasons at Nebraska and the returning talent for 2017, you could end up with the same numbers as a guy who just makes sh#t up.

I think you're right. We should all take a recess until the end of December and pretend like half of this board's discussion isn't speculative nonsense meant to wile away the hours of our ever sadder existence...

Or we could have fun trying to predict how our QB will fare this upcoming season in a new and unfamiliar system, based on what we know and hope to have happen, while engaging in friendly conversation with other fans of our shared team...

Whichever you prefer.

tenor.gif

There is considerable reason to believe that completion percentage at or above 60% and of course, the more you throw it, the higher the chances of interceptions. I would think one could expect atleast 12. One a game is not bad assuming the offense is being productive otherwise and we are scoring more than 35 a game (hopefully we are nearer to 40 per game and we will need that number to win 10 or more in my view.

The number of TD passes is likely to be lower than one might expect for a high performance passing team, in my view, because our receiving group has yet to demonstrate 'big play' - 'take it to the house' capability and the propensity of Riley/Langs to like to run it in from inside the ten. I know many feel we throw too often near the goal line but, for a passing oriented offense, the coaches prefer to score from around 20 yards out if they can or to run atleast once or twice if we have a first and ten inside the ten. I think our passing capability will make it tougher for defenses to gang up on the run inside the ten particularly. Our smaller, quicker receivers will be real threats from inside the 25 but maybe less so inside the ten. Tight ends are real weapons in the red zone and or end zone and Riley would like to use them but we are yet to really know how well our TEs will actually produce in the receiving area after Cethan left.

In summary, it would seem to me that one might predict more total yards and a fairly high completion rate but perhaps slightly fewer TDs and INTs. That is, we might gain a lot of yards but actually have more rushing TDs in 2017 than in 2016. We will have more running success than many seem to believe, UNLESS we find ourselves with too many fumbles or realy struggle with too many little or no gain runs or tackles behind the line of scrimmage.

Another thought I have is that INTs tend to happen because: 1. the QB locks in on a given receiver and the defense recognizes this or the QB has a 'favorite' or go-to receiver far too often. Or 2. the O line struggles to pass protect and the QB is indecisive or fails to 'feel' the pressure and hangs on to the ball too long and then either forces a throw into coverage or has throws impacted by deflections or QB hurries or hits at the time he throws. Or 3. The QB is just simply not a very good passer in genera (happy feet, poor throwing motion, bad throwing motion, weak arm strength, etcl.

I think we've seen and reports are that Lee and POB both have been showing good arm strength, good 'reads' and comfort and confidence in the pocket, ability to find the open the receiver and lacking in terms of 'favorite receiver targets, etc). The QBs seem to know the offense and we will have multiple receivers in the pattern as well as RBs and TEs and others in the vacinity to be release or receiver of last resort options that the defense will have great deal of trouble preventing from making the catch and gaining some positive yards. Those plays add to the compeltion stats and yardage totals while reducing INTs and TDs.

75 Tommy Armstrong Jr., QB NEB 151 294 51.4 2180 7.4 72 14 8 6 123.9

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/passingYards/qualified/false/count/41

Well Tommy Armstrong, even with his less than accurate, hit or miss, passing, still threw for 2,180 yards last season.

So we get an accurate QB who knows where the ball needs to go and can deliver it with accuracy, total yards, yards per attempt, touchdowns...all that should go up.

And maybe I'm blind with optimism, but with all those increases going up, INTs should go down.

Overall, I'd take the over on all those numbers in the OP sans the interceptions.

Saw some predictions cropping up in a recruiting thread regarding Tanner Lee's passing stats, so I decided to start a separate thread here. After doing some (light) research, I came up with over/under numbers for the 2017 season using ESPN stats, assuming Tanner Lee stays healthy:

2700 pass yards

59% completion

23.5 TD

11.5 INT

For reference:

The pass yards, completion percentage, and touchdowns would have ranked fourth among 2016 B1G quarterbacks. The interceptions would be fourth most among the same group.

Nebraska's 2017 opponents' defenses averaged 12.33 interceptions on the season, or roughly one per game.

The most pass yards by any B1G QB: 3614

Best qualifying completion rate: 61.9%

Most touchdowns: 29

Personally, I land on the optimistic side of the numbers, but I'm curious where everyone else would put their money.

2700 pass yards - OVER

59% completion - OVER

23.5 TD - OVER

11.5 INT - UNDER

I think if you take Tanner Lee's numbers at Tulane, Riley's history at Oregon State, the last two seasons at Nebraska and the returning talent for 2017, you could end up with the same numbers as a guy who just makes sh#t up.

I think you're right. We should all take a recess until the end of December and pretend like half of this board's discussion isn't speculative nonsense meant to wile away the hours of our ever sadder existence...

Or we could have fun trying to predict how our QB will fare this upcoming season in a new and unfamiliar system, based on what we know and hope to have happen, while engaging in friendly conversation with other fans of our shared team...

Whichever you prefer.

Dude, do you think I could compile 4,500 posts without indulging in off-season speculation?

I'm not disrespecting your thread. Just saying any of us could come up with numbers for Tanner Lee, and they'd likely prove as accurate as an "expert" trying to run some analytics.

• 2 months later...
Talking Tanner Lee with a QB Guru

HV: Last thing I wanted to ask you is if we could just kind of play a little over/under with some of Tanner’s numbers for this season. When he was at Tulane, his high for a season was about 1,900 passing yards. So, I’ll ask you: over or under 2,000 yards throwing the ball this season?

SC: “Way over. At least 3,500.”

HV: Okay, okay. His high at Tulane was 12 passing touchdowns; I’m assuming you’re going to go over again?

SC: “(Laughter) Yeah. I would say between 22 and 28.”

HV: Interceptions at Tulane was 14, his high in a season. Over or under there?

SC: “He’ll be under that. He’ll definitely be under that.”

HV: Last one: 52 percent was his season high at Tulane for completion percentage. Over under there?

SC: “He’ll be over that. I think he’ll be low 60s, I’d say 62, 64 percent. With the design of the offense and great receivers and Coach Langsdorf, who’s a great offensive coordinator. With Coach Riley right there overseeing the whole program, he’s a great offensive mind. I definitely see him over 60 percent.”

Talking Tanner Lee with a QB Guru

HV: Last thing I wanted to ask you is if we could just kind of play a little over/under with some of Tanner’s numbers for this season. When he was at Tulane, his high for a season was about 1,900 passing yards. So, I’ll ask you: over or under 2,000 yards throwing the ball this season?

SC: “Way over. At least 3,500.”

HV: Okay, okay. His high at Tulane was 12 passing touchdowns; I’m assuming you’re going to go over again?

SC: “(Laughter) Yeah. I would say between 22 and 28.”

HV: Interceptions at Tulane was 14, his high in a season. Over or under there?

SC: “He’ll be under that. He’ll definitely be under that.”

HV: Last one: 52 percent was his season high at Tulane for completion percentage. Over under there?

SC: “He’ll be over that. I think he’ll be low 60s, I’d say 62, 64 percent. With the design of the offense and great receivers and Coach Langsdorf, who’s a great offensive coordinator. With Coach Riley right there overseeing the whole program, he’s a great offensive mind. I definitely see him over 60 percent.”

If Lee has the kind of numbers this "expert" thinks he will have NU should be winning 10 games.

Riley is going to ride or die with Lee...He is not going to put his new toy on the shelf. It would be foolish for him to not use him and his arm as much as possible.

All we have put on film under Riley and Bo was a simple scheme to beat us. Stuff the box and dare us to pass. IF Lee can make teams pay quickly, repeatedly and against teams with winning records, we win the West. It's really that simple. Once teams actually have to defend us on the ground and through the air, it opens up 100% of the play book. Not the 64% we have seen the past 10 (almost) years IMO. SIDE NOTE-we might actually use special teams this year......

If the OL doesn't step up, Lee will get beaten like Zach Taylor. I hope he is as tough. I think Cav was put on notice at media days and will coach like his ass is on fire and his head is catching. Same with Davis. Some RB needs to step up and be that guy. We have a 3rd year without a 1000 yard rusher, 2 coaches would't make the bowl game if we get one.....

• 4 months later...