2018 mid-term

8 minutes ago, schriznoeder said:

DANG!

I really wish we just got raw vote totals. Percentages can be so misleading.

Like according to that, ND in 2014 turned out only 187 EV in that age bracket. This year, 4,855. Still some pretty good growth, but still less than 1/10th of the 65+ bracket.

Still, some very good info in there. Very encouraging numbers in that young voter growth in GA/FL/TX.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

I really wish we just got raw vote totals. Percentages can be so misleading.

Like according to that, ND in 2014 turned out only 187 EV in that age bracket. This year, 4,855. Still some pretty good growth, but still less than 1/10th of the 65+ bracket.

Still, some very good info in there. Very encouraging numbers in that young voter growth in GA/FL/TX.

If you go into the dashboard and hover over the graph icon under the 2014/2018 header, it'll give you the raw numbers.

6 minutes ago, schriznoeder said:

If you go into the dashboard and hover over the graph icon under the 2014/2018 header, it'll give you the raw numbers.

I found it, but thanks for the tip. It's a pretty interesting resource.

The two people I really pay attention to when it comes to early voting are Jon Ralston in NV and Steve Schale for FL. Almost everything else is a crapshoot IMO, but that stuff you dug up seems useful.

FWIW, both Ralston's & Schale's final outlook for the EV numbers for their respective states look pretty rosy for Dems. They've built a very goo firewall advantage in Clark County (Vegas) and are winning Washoe County (Reno), both of which are substantial improvements on previous midterms. Assuming little crossover voting and indies breaking for Dems, both Rosen & Sisolak should be favored. The Clark firewall is substantial enough that even if Laxalt or Heller win indies, it may not be enough. Harry Reid's turnout machine is in full gear. 

Schale's analysis is a bit longer since Florida politics is less cut & dried, but basically boils down to traditional Dem bases outstripping their previous turnout numbers and traditional GOP areas either only matching or falling flat of theirs. He thinks the GOP will still win E-day turnout today, but unless Dems fall flat today or indies break hard for Scott/DeSantis, the late break toward Gillum/Nelson seems real.

• Plus1 1
53 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Interesting.  Looks like Nebraska had about 54,000 more early votes.  That's a 53% increase.  The increase came in younger voters.

I usually vote over lunch. In 2016 I was in and out in 10 minutes. Today took half an hour.  Granted, our neighborhood has grown, but I wonder how much to account for that.  My wife skipped voting this morning because the line was out the door and in the parking lot.

I remember the 2006 midterms: Republican majorities and everyone pissed at Bush meant a large turnout then too. I voted early in the morning with no trouble, but my wife went after work and stood in line for about 3 hours. I was on the phone with her and told her to stay in line and get your f*#king vote in. It's too important. Ever since, I have always gone early in the morning as soon as the polls open, I hate long lines.

My wife and I voted about 11:15. Couldn't have been easier, in-and-out, 5 minutes. A large well-organized Shiners building had approximately 10 volunteers and 20 voting machines to serve our precinct (only approximately 5 X 15 blocks). There were maybe 5 other people while we were there. Then you have to read about Dodge City, KS population 28,000 having ONE polling place outside of town or 3-hour lines for thousands in Atlanta sharing 3 machines. I wonder why!?! SHAME.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Does anyone know if you can change where you vote? (without moving)

For some stupid reason, they have us voting in the next town over and 17 miles away from where we live.  I know for a fact there are polling places that are closer.

Your local party headquarters must have read HB and found out that you are a raging liberal, so they moved you.

• Haha 1