2018 mid-term

1 minute ago, Frott Scost said:

Okay since you wont answer my question and tell what what you think DACA is then I will answerit for you. First of all, you keep saying DACA illegals. How can someone be illegal when they are in a program that gives them LEGAL status? They are as legal as someone who has a visa or a green card, which are also LEGAL people. Therefore, theh cannot be DACA illegals.

Secondly, these are young people that have been here pretty much their entire lives. They only speak english and know nothing about their country of origin. They pay taxes just like you and I. They go to college and work high paying jobs. A lot of them work in important fields: medicine, science, etc. Jesus, 900 of them fight in our military!! These are people we should WANT in this country and can HELP this country. Just admit it already, you dont like people that look different than you thats why DACA bothers you so much. 

well... the right wing media has most viewers believing that every one of them is a bad hombre here to rape and kill white americans....and every immigrant mother who crosses the border is more than 9 months pregnant and just holding those babies in to plop out the MS-13 tattooed babies as soon as they reach america.

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Live look at the Democrats running for the presidency in 2020 (and also, I just like cinemagraphs).

zijqBxT.gif

Hopefully O’Rourke is the nominee. He went into a very, very red state and put up a hell of a fight. He also became very well known during the election to people not from the state of Texas. He is young, charismatic and seems like a good person. Maybe him losing Texas senate pushes him to run for president. 

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, commando said:

well... the right wing media has most viewers believing that every one of them is a bad hombre here to rape and kill white americans....and every immigrant mother who crosses the border is more than 9 months pregnant and just holding those babies in to plop out the MS-13 tattooed babies as soon as they reach america.

Well thats why watching state sponsored media like fox news can be dangerous. Its the equivalent to people watching the news in NK and being brainwashed into believing whatever KJU wants them to know. 

6 hours ago, Moiraine said:

In 2020 the Republicans will be defending 20-22 seats and the Democrats will be defending 11-13 seats. (I think there were 2 special elections for seats that will need to be won again).

Most of these are red states but there is Iowa, Colorado, New Mexico and Maine. On the other hand the Democrats will be defending Alabama and Virginia. I doubt the Democrats will be a shoe in to win the Senate in 2020.

One bit of good news for Democrats is this election was during a good economy and the recession is projected to hit June 2020.

So Democrats are hoping for a recession to win in 2020? Wow.

• Plus1 3

Personally I'm quite surprised that the blue wave did actually materialize this midterm. I understand the disenchantment with Trump and repubs but I really thought it would take a much worse economy to see this kind of change. The fact things went so blue, in this economy, signals even more upheaval in two years.

Colorado has been purple for awhile but everything went solid blue Dem yesterday, the house, Senate and governor as well most every position on the ballot. That indicates a high level of dissatisfaction considering people really didn't have any serious economic concerns to rally around. IMO it was a straight up indictment (no pun intended) of Trump and repubs. It will be interesting to see how they wield this power. Will they all of a sudden actually lead and govern? Or will it be more of the same BS with a different partisan agenda?

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

So is Dems gaining control of the house a big deal or not ? How so ?

Is the GOP increasing their majority in the senate a big deal ? Why ? 

I’m Getting mixed answers all over on those questions what do you guys think ? 

Both sides can claim some victories. Historically the Presidents party loses big in both the House and Senate so it was unique that the GOP added 3 or 4 Senate seats.  Here is some data to contrast key difference between 44 and 45.

-Obama lost 63 house seats and 6 senate seats in his first mid-term

-Trump lost 26 to 35 house seats and gained 4 Senate seats.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Personally I'm quite surprised that the blue wave did actually materialize this midterm. I understand the disenchantment with Trump and repubs but I really thought it would take a much worse economy to see this kind of change. The fact things went so blue, in this economy, signals even more upheaval in two years.

Colorado has been purple for awhile but everything went solid blue Dem yesterday, the house, Senate and governor as well most every position on the ballot. That indicates a high level of dissatisfaction considering people really didn't have any serious economic concerns to rally around. IMO it was a straight up indictment (no pun intended) of Trump and repubs. It will be interesting to see how they wield this power. Will they all of a sudden actually lead and govern? Or will it be more of the same BS with a different partisan agenda?

This was not a blue wave really...even CNN had to admit it. A wave would have been winning 50-plus house seats, winning more Senate seats, winning Governors races in key swing states like Ohio and Florida. This was a mixed bag election where both sides can claim some victories. 

13 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I'm not surprised at all, I think the hype and talk of the 'blue wave' for months led to motivating the 'Pubs to get out and vote to cancel out the blue wave.   Numbers show it was great for voter turnout, but not surprising that it wasn't a landslide for one party.

Related, took my fiance out to vote, it was her first time ever voting.  She was really proud of herself after.    While we didn't get all the results we wanted, we did our part to help impact change.   Really disappointed in Iowa, I don't mind if Repubs win, but King is below the bottom of the barrel, and I was really hoping this would finally get him out of office, but Iowa sunk low and re-elected him.   

And the reason why we go to the polls on election night @Fcott Srost (I think it was you asking) instead of earlier or absentee or by mail, is to get the sweet 'I voted' sticker to plaster all over social media.  haha

8 hours ago, mrandyk said:

What would you call the Republican stance under Obama? 8 years of reaching across the aisle? Hell, they won't even try to work with anyone now.

this, imo, is the problem with the entire political stage right now... "you did/didn't do such and such (which was bad) so now we won't/aren't going to do such and such either (which is also bad)"...

nobody gives a sh*t anymore about what is good for the people, just which side wins :bang

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
8 hours ago, C N Red said:

Dont disagree, but you are gonna start seeing a lot more people with medicaid that are now able bodied, can work, and dont have kids. Thats who this expansion is about. Not about people who actually need it, its actually probably gonna hurt a lot of those who actually need it. To fund it for more its most likely they will have to take away some coverage from those who actualky need it. I would be VERY surprised if this gets enacted that the state unemployment rate doesnt increase. Also the reason the uninsured rate went down is b/c the gov't subsidizes people for insurance now. So, the less you make(work)the more they will pay for your insurance. Its taking a lot of money away from other things that need it to pay people for not willing to work enough in many instances. Ive had people tell me they only work so many hours a week so they get their full alottment of obamacare subsidies, even though there are hours available to work.

There is an entire thread about Healthcare Reform.

If you really wanted cheaper and better healthcare (like I really want) you would be supporting something that you probably would never support.  But, it's proven all over the world to be better and cheaper.

I haven't been a supporter of the ACA and I'm definitely not a supporter of what came before the ACA.  It's very disappointing that people actually think the best path is to go back to anything we have had.  Millions of people didn't have healthcare, people taking bankruptcy simply because they got sick or in an accident.  And....these are able bodied people WITH JOBS.  Oh...and our life expectancy is worse than other countries.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1