On 12/17/2018 at 10:46 AM, knapplc said:

We're Harry Potter fans, so we went to see The Crimes of Grindelwald the other day despite the poor reviews (RT: 38% critics/61% audience; Metacritic: 52).

I'm not sure what the critiques of the movie were, but we really liked it. I thought the story was compelling, believable (in that universe) and I liked the development of the characters from Fantastic Beasts.  It's set up well for sequels and the story seems like something I want to see more of.

Did anyone else watch this? What were the criticisms?

We saw it the weekend it came out.  I liked it fine,  it is just good escapism film making IMO.  I wasn't real sure about Depp as Grindelwald but he did a really good job of it.  

On 12/17/2018 at 1:48 PM, Landlord said:

I still have no idea why the Grindelwald movie exists other than to be a placeholder to 3 more franchise films. The story and the point of the story were pretty lost on me. What was it about? Who was it about? Certainly not fantastic beasts. Kind of about Grindelwald, but still not really? About Newt? Also not really. It also introduced SO many people and showed so much crazy spectacle without any real explanation or exposition that made it hard to keep up or keep track. But it had a lot of cool J.K. Rowling flexing her inventiveness muscles, so it makes sense a lot of people liked it. 

Anyways, saw the new animated Spider-Man film over the weekend. Absolutely loved it. The art direction especially was so much fun.

The 'Fantastic Beasts' label is very disingenuous, and it's clear (in my opinion) the remainder of the movies are going to be largely about Grindelwald/Dumbledore/Credence. That's probably the biggest fault of the series so far is it seems to lack a focus and direction.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the latest social media craze / Netflix Original: Bird Box. Unless you really dig apocalypse/zombie-type movies, and are willing to overlook a lot of flaws, then it's worth skipping.

Spoiler

I felt it started out with moderate potential but quickly fell into the same storied routine of many other apocalypse movies - random strangers avoid initial death and then try to survive, gather supplies, and not fall victim to the indecencies of humans trapped in a difficult situation. It was just... bleh. Expected, almost.

It was a less interesting version of A Quiet Place filled with inconsistencies, detached character development and a lot of breaking of its own rules. That was a much better post-apocalypse film that stayed within the rules it sets and made the viewer care way more about what was going on with virtually no dialogue.

19 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Saw the latest social media craze / Netflix Original: Bird Box. Unless you really dig apocalypse/zombie-type movies, and are willing to overlook a lot of flaws, then it's worth skipping.

Hide contents

We watched Birdbox a couple nights ago.  I thought it was a decent movie.  I wouldn't put it up as an absolute must see....but, I enjoyed it.

Sandra Bullock crushed it in Bird Box, which makes it worth watching. Other than that, it's a fun premise which makes it easier to overlook some of the finer elements gone wrong. I enjoyed it. It's somewhere about halfway in between The Happening and A Quiet Place quality wise.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

I've got it sitting in my living room and plan on watching it today/tonight.  I'll be sure to post up some thoughts after watching.

I asked because it sounds very interesting and like something I would like but the reviews I saw on Redbox....woof. But sometimes those reviews are way off.

12 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I asked because it sounds very interesting and like something I would like but the reviews I saw on Redbox....woof. But sometimes those reviews are way off.

Yeah, I pay Redbox reviews almost zero mind.

Ok, my thoughts....it was pretty good.  I'm a pretty big history buff so the premise of the movie to me was great with a somewhat history of the flight program plus some backstory on Armstrong.  I'm gonna eat that stuff up.  Visually, it's a gorgeous movie, the same guy who directed La La Land, also directed this.  My complaint on the movie is I feel it tries to do a little much.  It tries to be a Armstrong biopic, history of the moon landing/space program and a family period piece (the only movie I can think of is Revolutionary Road right now) and it really doesn't succeed in doing any of them.  I give it a 6.5/10, definitely worth a watch if nothing else for the visuals and the score which are goosebump worthy.

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, Redux said:

Just watched Guardians of the Galaxy for the first time, next up Guardians Vol. 2 and then Avengers Ultron.  Is there a bad movie in this saga? Seriously, every one has been fantastic.

I really like the Guardians movies. A lot of that is due the soundtrack and because Zoe Saldano is a babe. I wasn’t real impressed with the last 2 Avengers. May have been because my hopes were up and the potential was there but it just seems they were rushed and tried to cram too much in.

9 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I really like the Guardians movies. A lot of that is due the soundtrack and because Zoe Saldano is a babe. I wasn’t real impressed with the last 2 Avengers. May have been because my hopes were up and the potential was there but it just seems they were rushed and tried to cram too much in.

Agree. They probably could have made 2 more movies with all that content.

On 2/2/2019 at 11:38 AM, Redux said:

Just watched Guardians of the Galaxy for the first time, next up Guardians Vol. 2 and then Avengers Ultron.  Is there a bad movie in this saga? Seriously, every one has been fantastic.

Relative to their purpose, they're almost all good movies. The first Thor was probably the only one I didn't think was that good.

Sort of an unpopular opinion, but I also think Black Panther gets a bit more hype than it deserves, even though I thought it was good overall.

• Plus1 1