Wisconsin "May have separated from the rest of the West"

12 hours ago, Landlord of Memorial Stadium said:

Season long results the last two years kinda do tho

Maybe. Kinda. Wisconsin and Iowa have been part of the national discussion in the last couple years in a way Nebraska hasn't, but it's a stretch to say they have gained meaningful or lasting separation. The Huskers played a terrible game in 2015 against #3 Iowa and was still in the game in the fourth quarter. Took Wisconsin to overtime at Camp Randall last year. Iowa's record over the last 10 years would still be unacceptable by Nebraska standards. Wisconsin's is better -- and they have a couple Rose Bowls to show for it -- but at the end of the season they have 10 - 3 records to lord over Nebraska's 9 - 4 record. 

I think the implication is that we still have a big hill to climb to join the Wisconsins & Iowas of the Big 10,  much less the Michigans & Ohio States.

Whereas I think we just need a more consistent quarterback and a marginally better defense. 

And more to the point, there is absolutely no reason to bow down to the likes of Iowa and Wisconsin. They've certainly earned respect, but I don't see juggernauts of intimidation there.

• Plus1 5

When does everyone expect a West team to actually win the B1G?  Wisconsin won't make the playoff without winning the B1G.  Does anyone believe them or any other West team wins the B1G anytime soon?  I read an article the other day on yahoo sports that stated every team to win the NC in the past dozen years had a roster that was 50% or higher in blue chip recruits.  They defined blue chip recruits as either being four or five star recruits coming out of high school.  Right now, there isn't a team in the West that even comes close to this.

When there was still a championship game in the Big 12, the South rolled off seven straight victories where the champ was either OU or Texas.  TCU wasn't a weak sister.  Under Patterson prior to joining the Big 12, the most losses they ever endured in a season was two.  In 2010, they went undefeated and finished the season ranked #2.  Baylor was a weak sister until they hired Briles.  By year four, he had Baylor going 10-3. 

I might be wrong here, but I don't think either Baylor or TCU has much to do with the West in the B1G.  TCU was always good with Patterson as coach.  Baylor got really good with Briles as coach.  I can't think of any teams in the West of the B1G ready to hire a new coach yet.  I haven't seen a team in the West able to recruit with the likes of Ohio State or  Michigan.  Penn State's 18' class is ranked somewhere in the top 5. 

It would appear to me that someone in the West is going to have to start recruiting better if there's a chance of a team from the West winning the B1G anytime soon.  I won't concede the West to Wisconsin just yet as having run away with the West.  However, it is becoming crystal clear that the East is clearly widening the gap against the West.    

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Maybe. Kinda. Wisconsin and Iowa have been part of the national discussion in the last couple years in a way Nebraska hasn't, but it's a stretch to say they have gained meaningful or lasting separation. The Huskers played a terrible game in 2015 against #3 Iowa and was still in the game in the fourth quarter. Took Wisconsin to overtime at Camp Randall last year. Iowa's record over the last 10 years would still be unacceptable by Nebraska standards. Wisconsin's is better -- and they have a couple Rose Bowls to show for it -- but at the end of the season they have 10 - 3 records to lord over Nebraska's 9 - 4 record. 

I think the implication is that we still have a big hill to climb to join the Wisconsins & Iowas of the Big 10,  much less the Michigans & Ohio States.

Whereas I think we just need a more consistent quarterback and a marginally better defense. 

And more to the point, there is absolutely no reason to bow down to the likes of Iowa and Wisconsin. They've certainly earned respect, but I don't see juggernauts of intimidation there.

I mostly agree with you, but for the sake of having an advocate for the devil - I compared the last 10 years of each school

Nebraska - 85-46 Overall, (50-31 Conf)

5-7

9-4

10-4

10-4

9-4

10-4

9-4

9-4

5-7

9-4

Top 10 finishes: 0

Top 25 finishes: 5

Conference Championships: 0

Major Bowl Wins: 0

Major Bowl Appearances: 0

Iowa - 80-50 Overall, (48-33 Conf)

6-6

9-4

11-2

8-5

7-6

4-8

8-5

7-6

12-2

8-5

Top 10 finishes: 2

Top 25 finishes: 3

Conference Championships: 0

Major Bowl Wins: 1

Major Bowl Appearances: 2

Wisconsin - 97-37 Overall, (56-25 Conf)

9-4

7-6

10-3

11-2

11-3

8-6

9-4

11-3

10-3

11-3

Top 10 finishes: 3

Top 25 finishes: 8

Conference Championships: 3

Major Bowl Wins: 1

Major Bowl Appearances: 4

• Plus1 2

On 8/22/2017 at 1:44 PM, RedDenver said:

For example, the new DC has only been coaching for a year.

Jim Leonhard was the defensive captain on three NFL teams.  He did very well with the secondary last year.  It remains to be seen how well he does as a coordinator, but Chryst has been making good staff calls so I'm optimistic. 

23 minutes ago, BigAppleBucky said:

Jim Leonhard was the defensive captain on three NFL teams.  He did very well with the secondary last year.  It remains to be seen how well he does as a coordinator, but Chryst has been making good staff calls so I'm optimistic. 

Being optimistic is fine. Heck, Husker fans are pretty optimistic about Diaco and his 34 defense. I was just pointing out that you can't make the argument that Wisconsin has stability, especially on defense. Nebraska can't make that argument either.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 3:11 PM, junior4949 said:

However, it is becoming crystal clear that the East is clearly widening the gap against the West.    

It is ???????

Previous results since the last divisional reorg:

Season     West     East     Champion
2014      7      7      East
2015      7      7      East
2016     11     10      East

For those who hate math, that makes it West over East, 25-24 in the regular season, and East over West, 27-25 overall.

Other than the East winning the last (3) CC games, with the last two being won by a TOTAL margin of (10) points, the numbers say the gap (what gap exists) is closer to being razor-thin than "widening."

• Plus1 6
On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:18 PM, LAblackshirt said:

I really wish I could know specifically what is was they saw in one scrimmage that made them feel confident enough to stake publicly that they had pulled away from the rest of the B1G west. 

The Badger WR's & TE's, primarily, plus a much improved Hornibrook who showed he really knows where to go with the ball, and doesn't have to lock onto either Fumigalli or Peavy anymore, because they now have more high-quality options in the passing game in Penniston, Neuville, Cephus, Taylor, and Davis.   That  - and finally - an experienced and deep OL that can push opponents around again like they did back in '09/'10/'11.   Reports from camp are that Chryst finally has the passing game he's been trying to develop since he returned to compliment the running attack (and they'll still have 3 very good backs in Shaw, James, and Frosh phenom Jonathan Taylor - wait 'till you see this kid!).  The Badger offense this season will reportedly have the most balanced attack its had since 2011.   Aside from their base 21 personnel, they'll be able to  throw a lot more 3-WR and 3-TE sets at opponents this year to get mis-matches. 

While I'm not guaranteeing a UW win in Lincoln, I can tell you that Bucky will definitely have a tougher, more-balanced, and more explosive offense than what you guys have seen the last (2) years.  And while the defense will still be very salty, they will no doubt feel the loss of Watt & Beigel this year at OLB, so we'll see.  Should be another fun season, and hopefully the West shows they can continue to match the East, and whoever our division champ is, hopefully they can finally win in Indy !

• Plus1 1