What does the board think of the Five Dollar Bits of Broken Chair rivalry trophy with Minnesota

What does the board think of the Five Dollar Bits of Broken Chair rivalry Trophy between Minnesota and Nebraska?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been sitting on this for about a year now. I've lost sleep over this but I just don't have the time or the guts to take this on.

My idea was to write an open letter to Faux about how the trophy was born of the internet and should stay that way. My idea is that their shouldn't be a physical trophy but a digital one shared between Minnesota and Nebraska fans, or lots of trophies traded back and forth between fans matched up somehow on the internet. It's a broken chair it can't cost that much. 

Have everyone post their creations on social media, get a retweet from Faux himself. The fans and their counterpart from the opposing fan base can meet up at tailgates and talk about what has transpired over the past year and the game to come. People could Photoshop their creations into their man cave, have fun with it the only way you can on the internet. That way both universities are not associated with it and the fans esp. those on the net can still have fun with it. I even created a twitter account to champion the cause, but like I said I just don't have the time, energy or guts to champion such a cause. 

6 minutes ago, Landlord of Memorial Stadium said:

Tell me about all those trophies' origins off the top of your head

When someone decides they want to look into why we, or any other team, plays for a trophy they look it up.  I personally don't want the university to have that association.  Not sure why this is difficult to understand.

• Plus1 1

57 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Yes.  The origin matters.  Just like any other trophy other B1G teams play for

This is a simplification but The Floyd of Rosedale started due to racism and threats of violence and was named the best trophy in College Football. I don't really think anyone cares about the origin of the trophy, but I don't see how a bet between a mascot and a twitter parody account is any worse than any B1G trophy.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Branno said:

This is a simplification but The Floyd of Rosedale started due to racism and threats of violence and was named the best trophy in College Football. I don't really think anyone cares about the origin of the trophy, but I don't see how a bet between a mascot and a twitter parody account is any worse than any B1G trophy.

That is a very over-simplified history of Floyd of Rosedale.

But Nebraska doesn't play for it, so I don't care that 2 other schools are associated with it.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

Yes.  The origin matters.  Just like any other trophy other B1G teams play for

I'm with SPH on this.  I love the non-corporate nature of the trophy but it's origin is probably not something most would like to remember.  Why is the chair broken you ask...?  I had too many people ask me why Nebraska would keep a coach around that has anger issues.

• Plus1 1

I love the idea it is a really funny trophy that lasted a really short time. Maybe Fleck will like the idea and get it back going again, but I am not gonna have high hopes for that. Who cares about the origin let the people who want to celebrate it have fun with it. If you wanna act all traditional and stuff go right ahead and enjoy the other lame trophies we have. It was really a funny concept that will now be carried on by the fans because this series with Minny since joining the B1G has been competitive. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, deedsker said:

Best trophy we play for. Beats the Mizzery Bell, any day of the week. Until we play for a golden NU and the right to have NU on the scoreboard the following year with Northwestern.

I'd suggest making it more painful than that--make it so any references to NU have to be pulled out the loser's next Media Guides until they play again. 

• Plus1 2