OWH: Telltale signs gathered in offseason suggest Nebraska football will travel bumpy road

1 hour ago, zoogs said:

This seems to be a bad case of "old-timer angry that players don't act anguished enough for him after a loss" married with "how can I spin an article out of this, as is my job?"

Everything else -- from the necessary firing of a DC who didn't cut it, to the hiring of a Diaco whose qualities you'd otherwise think were pretty good, to even the naming of Lee as a starting QB. Honestly. 

What else is here? ASU's coach quips "They're beatable". A freshman recruit doesn't make it to the fall roster. Four "paragraphs" aghast at Keyshawn Sr's casual acceptance of weed-smoking among adults. A rival school grooms an administrator for their AD job (to be fair, I can't believe Wisconsin thought of this. Devastating for Husker fans, probably. What will we do now?). The Huskers AD does something with money that causes teeth-gnashing among fans. 

You'd think at this point Lee is going to tie this summary of events back together with his thesis somehow, but nah. The article just ends. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

This drives me NUTS!  So many fans think that the players should not be allowed to smile, laugh, go out after a loss.  It is insane.  There are always comments on it after a game "Did you see so and so, he was laughing on the sidelines, laughing, can you believe it?!?!"

• Plus1 1

It is fine for him to think that Nebraska is going to go 7-5 this season.  It is definitely possible, his reasoning is just stupid.  He is trying to find some dissension and turmoil to justify his prediction.  Firing Banker and Read isn't causing dissension.  Naming Lee the QB in April is not causing turmoil,  in fact it reduces turmoil.  

It is such a Barfy article.     

• Plus1 7
5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

This drives me NUTS!  So many fans think that the players should not be allowed to smile, laugh, go out after a loss.  It is insane.  There are always comments on it after a game "Did you see so and so, he was laughing on the sidelines, laughing, can you believe it?!?!"

Especially when it's after a meaningless bowl game when many of the players just played their last game of their career.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Especially when it's after a meaningless bowl game when many of the players just played their last game of their career.

A friend (not all that close) played for the Huskers and when he was totally done he was telling me how happy he was that it was over, that he loved it but that he was happy to be done with football, with the conditioning, the lifting the meetings.  I am sure a lot of those guys, especially after a bowl game that really doesn't matter much are happy to go on to the next part of their life.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

A friend (not all that close) played for the Huskers and when he was totally done he was telling me how happy he was that it was over, that he loved it but that he was happy to be done with football, with the conditioning, the lifting the meetings.  I am sure a lot of those guys, especially after a bowl game that really doesn't matter much are happy to go on to the next part of their life.

A guy I know lettered all 4 years and his last game was the National Championship game against Miami, he told me that when that game was over he was so ready to move on to the next part of his life.  He had already graduated, was about to get married and even though football was great while it lasted there were plenty of things he wasn't going to miss and was happy he didn't have to do them anymore.

As far as this article goes it is a giant steamy turd. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, zoogs said:

This seems to be a bad case of "old-timer angry that players don't act anguished enough for him after a loss" married with "how can I spin an article out of this, as is my job?"

Everything else -- from the necessary firing of a DC who didn't cut it, to the hiring of a Diaco whose qualities you'd otherwise think were pretty good, to even the naming of Lee as a starting QB. Honestly. 

What else is here? ASU's coach quips "They're beatable". A freshman recruit doesn't make it to the fall roster. Four "paragraphs" aghast at Keyshawn Sr's casual acceptance of weed-smoking among adults. A rival school grooms an administrator for their AD job (to be fair, I can't believe Wisconsin thought of this. Devastating for Husker fans, probably. What will we do now?). The Huskers AD does something with money that causes teeth-gnashing among fans. 

You'd think at this point Lee is going to tie this summary of events back together with his thesis somehow, but nah. The article just ends. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Agreed .... What the hell WERE the points in the article?

I'll give him point #1 -- the bowl game reaction. At least it's relevant.

But somehow the way Riley fired his friend is going to make us go 7-5? Somehow Wisconsin's appointment of a future AD is going to make us go 7-5? Somehow KJ Jr's smoking weed is going to make us go 7-5? (And, reality check, btw -- it happens on EVERY football team, college or pro ... Just don't get caught).

We may very well go 7-5. Tough schedule, we're relatively young, we're not super deep, and we're changing schemes on both offense and defense (more-so defense, but still, offense will be different).

Lee, please tell me you were stoned when you wrote this article. At least that would make sense.

• Plus1 4

“If you want to smoke weed when you’re 30 years old, do all you want. In fact, I’ll buy you a forest if that’s the case.”

That leaves me speechless. Is that the hood-ornament Nebraska wants on its recruiting machine?

Yes, Lee.  Yes.  If it takes KJS to buy his son a weed forest when he's 30 for Nebraska to win games, then the answer is yes.  That is the hood ornament we want on the recruiting machine.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

“If you want to smoke weed when you’re 30 years old, do all you want. In fact, I’ll buy you a forest if that’s the case.”

That leaves me speechless. Is that the hood-ornament Nebraska wants on its recruiting machine?

Yes, Lee.  Yes.  If it takes KJS to buy his son a weed forest when he's 30 for Nebraska to win games, then the answer is yes.  That is the hood ornament we want on the recruiting machine.

It's getting to become legal in most areas. Only difference is it is still a violation of NCAA rules. I'm fine if he does it when not at Nebraska but abide by the NCAA rules.

13 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

It's getting to become legal in most areas. Only difference is it is still a violation of NCAA rules. I'm fine if he does it when not at Nebraska but abide by the NCAA rules.

The quote says when he is 30.  That's the point I'm trying to make.  If we get a recruiting bump because Sr is going to buy a weed forest for Jr when he is 30, then I'm all for it.

• Plus1 1

Not reading this article, not giving Lee the publicity, but I'll ask everyone who did read it the same question I've been asking myself for going on a year now:  Did you learn anything that you didn't already know from a Lee Barfknecht article today? 

The World Herald has some really good writers covering Husker sports, folks I learn things from all the time.  Lee is not one of them, and hasn't been for a long, long time.

EDIT

7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

10 total seniors listed out of 67 on offense/defense (15%). I didn't realize how young this team is.

Out of curiosity, did Lee list this as one of the reasons we'll go 7-5?  Because this, BY FAR, is the biggest reason that'll happen.

• Plus1 8
29 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Not reading this article, not giving Lee the publicity, but I'll ask everyone who did read it the same question I've been asking myself for going on a year now:  Did you learn anything that you didn't already know from a Lee Barfknecht article today? 

The World Herald has some really good writers covering Husker sports, folks I learn things from all the time.  Lee is not one of them, and hasn't been for a long, long time.

EDIT

Out of curiosity, did Lee list this as one of the reasons we'll go 7-5?  Because this, BY FAR, is the biggest reason that'll happen.

I didn't read the article, but based on Barfy's history of lacking sound evidence, I'm going to guess he did not.