Langsdorf on Lee: 'Cool Your Jets'

Mavric

On the flip side there were times when protection broke down, defenders got to Tommy and he just used his superior athleticism to escape.   I think when you add it all up it's just kind of a wash and it's okay to give the line some of the credit for protecting the QB.  Granted, Husker fans like to judge their lineman by their run blocking first and foremost.

9 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I'm interested in whether Tanner Lee can scramble for a 1st down. He's not a statue, so if he can scramble just a few times a game, it would really help against a pass rush.

I can tell you exactly how this is going to go at some point this season, probably in the non-con.

*Tanner Lee scrambles for a 15-20 yard gain or runs a touchdown on a random read option*

Play-by-play/Color analyst: "Don't sleep on Tanner Lee's athletic ability. He can run and is mobile if he needs to be, he's not a (insert overused analogy word like 'statue' here) in the pocket and he can hurt you if you're not paying attention."

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I can tell you exactly how this is going to go at some point this season, probably in the non-con.

*Tanner Lee scrambles for a 15-20 yard gain or runs a touchdown on a random read option*

Play-by-play/Color analyst: "Don't sleep on Tanner Lee's athletic ability. He can run and is mobile if he needs to be, he's not a (insert overused analogy word like 'statue' here) in the pocket and he can hurt you if you're not paying attention."

It will be off a bootleg 

16 minutes ago, unlfan said:

Every single quarterback is the next big thing in the offseason. Its quite a laughable and predictable occurrence. Remember two offseasons ago? POB was the supposed to be the heir apparent, and here he gets beat out by a transfer from Tulsa an upperclassmen from Tulane.

For me personally, I just wait until I actually see production on the field to start getting excited about a QB. Historically, that has worked out quite well.

FIFY

5 minutes ago, unlfan said:

Yes, thank you Tulane. Transfer is accurate.

No problem. :thumbs

I think 'transfer' lacks context, though. He had 19 starts during two seasons at Tulane and he's 2-3 years older than POB. Just seems a little unfair to put it on POB like it's his fault he got beat out by somebody like that. I think I understand your point, though - people were very high on POB when he first signed on.

Well, you're probably right, except it's a somewhat strange hypothetical because of the context we have available now. I see your point, though.

I tend to think I'm pretty even keeled about these sorts of things. POB had the unfortunate pleasure of being Riley's first significant pro style QB recruit which I think, regardless of his actual skill set, put some undue pressure on him.

I would tend to think that Riley feels he has three (3) very capable QBs available so there would seem to be very little reason to 'protect' his QB by limiting his exposure unduely from hits of any kind.  If Lee has some running and escapability, then he should take full advantage of it.  The idea is to try to win as many or even ALL of our games and you do that by playing as many of your players as it takes to get the job done.  Last year, we all know we had only ONE QB ready to lead the team to wins vs most of our opponents.  You needed to protect Tommy A from hits but unfortunately his very strengths were making plays by being a serious run threat and by running as much as by passing.  Tommy didn't appear to be adept at reading the defenses, audibles, checking down, etc.  Maybe he was better than we were able to discern from the games as fans.  We don't know exactly what things were done internally to help the team adjust plays and change on the fly.  It really didn't seem like many of these changes at the line of scrimmage were present.  I would guess though that Tommy A and Westy were on the same wave length and maybe could work together sometimes even without the unison of the rest of the offense.  Who knows.  I expect this year we will be blessed to have QB play that is true QB play and not so much a RB playing QB.