Langsdorf on Lee: 'Cool Your Jets'

Mavric

3 minutes ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

I think looking at sacks is a bit misleading when it comes to gauging how well the OL protected Tommy last season. 

Tommy was masterful at scrambling and evading pressure, something that I'm guessing Lee won't be as adept with. So I think a true gauge of the OL effectiveness lies in QB hurries statistic. In other words, how many times did Tommy have to scramble or was hurried because of the pressure. 

Even still you'd then have to attribute how many of those hurries were scheme related (i.e., right personnel, wrong scheme) or personnel related (i.e., right scheme, wrong personnel). 

On the surface i think our OL will be suspect this year, which will affect Lee more than it did Tommy. Tommy made our OL look better than it was, I think the opposite will be the case here. 

No offense to Tommy but he was also masterful at making trying to block for him very difficult at times.  How many times did he scramble out of the pocket, when he could have just stepped up but his MO was scramble at the slightest sign of pressure?  He made some great plays scrambling but there were numerous examples where he shouldn't have

• Plus1 4

Just now, RedSavage said:

No offense to Tommy but he was also masterful at making trying to block for him very difficult at times.  How many times did he scramble out of the pocket, when he could have just stepped up but his MO was scramble at the slightest sign of pressure?  He made some great plays scrambling but there were numerous examples where he shouldn't have

And that's the counterpoint. Tommy also did himself or the OL no favors by unnecessarily moving the pocket. That pocket presence and field awareness is definitely a plus to Lee and should make the OL look better this year. 

There's give and take to the gauging/predicting the offensive line's capability this year. 

I'm excited to have a purer passer behind center this year, but the change in style may put more pressure on the OL or the pocket presence may help the OL.

That's an assessment to make later in the season.

7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm interested in whether Tanner Lee can scramble for a 1st down. He's not a statue, so if he can scramble just a few times a game, it would really help against a pass rush.

I think this is a good point. It's not like he's Peyton Manning back there. I think he's athletic enough to make the defense pay if they leave it wide open. 

11 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm interested in whether Tanner Lee can scramble for a 1st down. He's not a statue, so if he can scramble just a few times a game, it would really help against a pass rush.

We're interested to see how often our QB will do that, too. He's a guy who has a good 40 time, but we've not seen a ton of it. 

43 minutes ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

And that's the counterpoint. Tommy also did himself or the OL no favors by unnecessarily moving the pocket. That pocket presence and field awareness is definitely a plus to Lee and should make the OL look better this year. 

There's give and take to the gauging/predicting the offensive line's capability this year. 

I'm excited to have a purer passer behind center this year, but the change in style may put more pressure on the OL or the pocket presence may help the OL.

That's an assessment to make later in the season.

I agree.  We could play the what if game all day:  Will Tanner Lee have any mobility or is he truly a statue?  Will the OL look better having someone with pocket presence  and who is a true passer or will we be clamoring to have a scrambling Tommy back?  Obviously hard to say at this point.  We'll have an idea soon enough

28 minutes ago, Fru said:

It wouldn't shock me if there were a few draw plays up Langs' sleeve. Lee is athletic enough to lumber for a few yards here and there and slide. As far as scrambling when a play breaks down... I'd prefer to just toss it out of bounds. 

I think a lot of this depends on just how close or how far behind POB is to Lee.  If he's a ways behind and the coaches don't have a lot of faith there, I doubt we see many/any designed draw plays with Lee.

1 minute ago, El Diaco said:

Danny Danny Danny....we aren't going to cool our jets. Don'tcha know that we've been waiting over 15 years for something to get excited about. Don't take this away from us.

Yes.  I refuse to cool my jets.  Its 1st game week and my optimism is running wild!

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I think a lot of this depends on just how close or how far behind POB is to Lee.  If he's a ways behind and the coaches don't have a lot of faith there, I doubt we see many/any designed draw plays with Lee.

I don't think he has a T-Mart style package designed for Lee. But if it's 3rd and 2 against PSU late in the 3rd quarter and NU is nearing the red zone, it wouldn't shock me if they called Lee's number to slide for a couple yards. 

I too think we will use the QB run. It will be used sparingly but in crucial situations hopefully to great effect. you would think a little draw in the right place could be pretty effective at getting first downs or even touchdowns like we saw with Gebbia in the Spring game

I wouldn't expect any of our QBs to gain more than 10 yards on any single carry but I think in short yardage they could do some sly damage 

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, Fru said:

I don't think he has a T-Mart style package designed for Lee. But if it's 3rd and 2 against PSU late in the 3rd quarter and NU is nearing the red zone, it wouldn't shock me if they called Lee's number to slide for a couple yards. 

Would be interesting if TA's legacy was that it taught this coaching staff how to better utilize the QB run game at opportune times.

2 hours ago, RedSavage said:

Agreed.  It seemed like most of the time when he pulled out that Tony Romo spin move he wasn't even being pressured at all.  He just panicked for no apparent reason at times.  Danny made comments to suggest we'll see a vast improvement in pocket awareness this year.

And really, mobile QBs aren't exactly a rarity these days.  We still ranked high nationally in not allowing sacks.