Any chance the Tanner Lee story isn't 100 percent true?

tmfr15

Context is important.  The bar is not "better than Tommy Armstrong".  The bar is "may forgo his senior year and be a high NFL draft pick".

Lee had a pretty good game last night.  Very solid.  A couple really nice throws.  But overall, not spectacular.

My biggest disappointment is I never really saw him work through his progression.  Early on he didn't have to - he was able to throw to his primary target.  That wasn't always a good thing - his first pass should have been intercepted and he got away with one more in the end zone - but solid overall.  However, as the game wore on he was really forcing it to his first look, even when they weren't open.  That is one area that I really thought would be behind us.

Also, he completely misfired on more of his deep passes than he completed.  He dropped a couple in there bueatifully but two of them were too far out of bounds for the receiver to even have a chance and air-mailed another about 10 yards over a guys' head.

Again, nothing terrible at all.  Very solid, especially for a first game.  But a long ways to go before we get to "high NFL draft pick" that has supposedly been thrown around by quite a few "experts".

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Context is important.  The bar is not "better than Tommy Armstrong".  The bar is "may forgo his senior year and be a high NFL draft pick".

Lee had a pretty good game last night.  Very solid.  A couple really nice throws.  But overall, not spectacular.

My biggest disappointment is I never really saw him work through his progression.  Early on he didn't have to - he was able to throw to his primary target.  That wasn't always a good thing - his first pass should have been intercepted and he got away with one more in the end zone - but solid overall.  However, as the game wore on he was really forcing it to his first look, even when they weren't open.  That is one area that I really thought would be behind us.

Also, he completely misfired on more of his deep passes than he completed.  He dropped a couple in there bueatifully but two of them were too far out of bounds for the receiver to even have a chance and air-mailed another about 10 yards over a guys' head.

Again, nothing terrible at all.  Very solid, especially for a first game.  But a long ways to go before we get to "high NFL draft pick" that has supposedly been thrown around by quite a few "experts".

Disagree wholeheartedly. 

Tanner Lee was outstanding and the only bright spot other than Bryant.

Hoppes dropped a TD. Bryant dropped a catch that you claim was almost intercepted. Then there were 3 more drops.

TLee is going to take us places.

• Plus1 1

It's hard to say without seeing him react under pressure against a good defense. I think Arky St put all their eggs in the offense basket. Next game will obviously be a better test, but I think he looked better than I expected in this one. The offense sputtered and looked shaky at times, but they still kept their composure and did a lot of good things.

Same can be said for the running game; can we really expect that against BIG defenses?

I had high hopes for a defensive turn around this year...not sure what that was supposed to be.

I'll cut him some slack because it's the first game he's played in 2 yrs.  Being on the scout team is not quite the same as being in front of 90k fans and having a defense that is allowed to hit you.  Game rust is to be expected.  He wasn't throwing it in the dirt or behind guys.  I will agree his first throw was pretty bad and went against the golden rule of quarterbacking.  I don't think we ran very complex routes and even when Morgan Jr was open there wasn't a lot of separation.  I think Lee will be pretty good as long as he has guys catching balls 

First Half: 10/14, 71.4%, 137 yards, 9.8 ypa, 1TD

Had that pace continued, there would have been no complaints.  Unfortunately...

Second Half: 9/18, 50.0%, 101 yards, 5.6 ypa, 1 TD

Those are pretty TA-like numbers.

I'm not sure there were as many "drops" as claimed but the definition of a "drop" may be open to interpretation.

16 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm not sure there were as many "drops" as claimed but the definition of a "drop" may be open to interpretation.

I think I counted 3 drops that were pretty significant.  Hoppes dropped a for sure TD, Speileman dropped a first down catch on 3rd down and I believe Reimers dropped a 1st down catch.  All were good balls and should have been caught.  

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, his productivity and efficiency dropped off a bit in the 2nd half but there is no denying he looked much better throwing the ball than TA or TM ever did.  Throwing a few balls slightly over the head or a bit out of bounds where nobody can catch them is much preferable to the uncle Rico yolo mortar launches we've been accustomed to. Better than TA may not be the goal but neither is leaving early for the NFL. From what I saw, I think we'll be in very capable hands and will likely see some improvement from him. It was only the first game after all. The worrisome thing was some of the balls forced into bad situations but a few of those are tolerable until they start getting picked.

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

How is a pass described as should have been intercepted when the only player that touched it and had a chance to touch it an offensive player?

25 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I think I counted 3 drops that were pretty significant.  Hoppes dropped a for sure TD, Speileman dropped a first down catch on 3rd down and I believe Reimers dropped a 1st down catch.  All were good balls and should have been caught.  

Are you counting the "drop" by Hoppes on the first drive for NU?  That wasn't a drop. That was a forced pass into double coverage (zone defense) and the safety tipped the ball before it got to Hoppes.

25 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

Yeah, his productivity and efficiency dropped off a bit in the 2nd half but there is no denying he looked much better throwing the ball than TA or TM ever did.  Throwing a few balls slightly over the head or a bit out of bounds where nobody can catch them is much preferable to the uncle Rico yolo mortar launches we've been accustomed to. Better than TA may not be the goal but neither is leaving early for the NFL. From what I saw, I think we'll be in very capable hands and will likely see some improvement from him. It was only the first game after all. The worrisome thing was some of the balls forced into bad situations but a few of those are tolerable until they start getting picked.

Like I said, it's the context of this thread.  The bar isn't "better than Tommy Armstrong".  The thread is about the Lee hype, which is claiming he's going to be a high NFL draft pick and may forgo his senior year.

He has TA covered by a bunch. I didn't see a guy ready to head to the NFL. Not that he won't get there, just not there yet based on this game.

• Plus1 1

Mavric is right. I'm really, really high on Lee but I don't see how it's even debatable that there's work to be done. Lee has NFL written all over him, including after this . year (probably), but that's assuming he builds off this game. He looked real impressive. Needs to progress from this point. (I also remember his first throw being dicey and at least one other high risk throw, though I don't know if I'd say "should have been picked" for either). Fantastic debut.