Any chance the Tanner Lee story isn't 100 percent true?

tmfr15

I believe Lee will get better with each game AS LONG AS THE OL DOESN'T DIGRESS!  Those of us at the Ok Cornhusker Club (about 100 saw the game in Tulsa) came away feeling pretty good about Lee, T Bryant, TE, WRs.  We thought OL had too many penalties and that blown 'non-block' for the safety was a disaster.  However they did open up some good holes for Bryant. I think Lee will be as good as advertised if the OL performs. He had some spot on passes, good to see him check down, got the TE involved and it wasn't 'run and chuck' like we've seen the past few years wt TA - just chuck the ball down the field and cross your fingers and hope the WR can run under it. First real GB since Ganz. 

Moved a few posts here.

It's a message board.  All of us have uninformed opinions to one degree or another.  That doesn't mean we can't talk about what we like/dislike or what we think should or shouldn't be done.  To try indicate otherwise is a non-starter and isn't going to gain anyone anything.  There isn't any need for it - all it's going to lead to is more bickering.  

If you think someone is wrong, explain why you think that or why they aren't considering other options in a civil manner.  If you want to dismiss their opinion out of hand, you can keep that to yourself and move on.

• Plus1 3

Finally getting around to re-watching the game. 

Again, I'm not saying Lee didn't have a nice game or that he's a bad QB.  I thought he had a very solid game. 

I was just surprised that he seemed to lock in a receiver before the snap.  I thought he'd do a better job of getting through his progressions.

Here's the "dropped" TD pass to Hoppes.  You can't really see him in this frame but obviously he was pretty well covered as the defender got in front of him to tip it away.  But I think this view is telling.  Ketter is wide open right in front of Lee.  Probably wouldn't have scored a TD but is an easy throw that would have had a few yards and was a broken tackle away from scoring.  But he had locked onto Hoppes so that's where he forced the ball.  Also Morgan could probably have walked into the end zone if Lee looks the other way.

4UQAo1m.png

I hear you mav.  It looks to me that the problem with this play was more about the timing. If Lee had already let go of the ball this was a touchdown.  If he waits another have second then the short pass is open for 2 yards.  Morgan is a tough call since it looks like TL is in the throwing motion so it is possible that the DB on Morgan has already moved on (he was probably covered when TL was making that decision....... I still think if the ball was in the air and some where near the attended receiver it was the right read.

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Finally getting around to re-watching the game. 

Again, I'm not saying Lee didn't have a nice game or that he's a bad QB.  I thought he had a very solid game. 

I was just surprised that he seemed to lock in a receiver before the snap.  I thought he'd do a better job of getting through his progressions.

Here's the "dropped" TD pass to Hoppes.  You can't really see him in this frame but obviously he was pretty well covered as the defender got in front of him to tip it away.  But I think this view is telling.  Ketter is wide open right in front of Lee.  Probably wouldn't have scored a TD but is an easy throw that would have had a few yards and was a broken tackle away from scoring.  But he had locked onto Hoppes so that's where he forced the ball.  Also Morgan could probably have walked into the end zone if Lee looks the other way.

4UQAo1m.png

To be a bit picky, with the safety crashing down hard backside on Morgan, if Lee waits another count in the pocket he has Reimers (? can't tell for sure) wide open in the end zone.  That is actually the correct read when he waited too long and Hoppes was through the zone already.  As previously said, an earlier release to Hoppes would be ideal.

Here's another one where Lee seemed to have decided that he was going to Reimers before anything happened.  In fairness, he could have gotten it to Reimers had he thrown it a bit earlier but he would have had to throw it before Reimers turned around.  However they had completely blown the coverage on Spielman.  If he was really looking at the coverage on those two, it would have been obvious that Spielman was going to be open as soon as he broke for the corner.

BCC6oX8.png

Good observations Mav. I'm fine to chalk a lot of that up to typical game one simplicity in gameplan (seemed they ran mostly half field route trees the majority of the game), as well as the jitters and juice playing in front of 90,000 in his first game in over two years.

Still a very good game, but he's got plenty of room to grow. Man, does that guy have a cannon though.

Very true. Despite the hype surrounding him, this was his first live action in almost two years playing with a lot of young guys in front of the largest group of his supporters he's ever seen. We should all be pretty pleased all things considered.

The best part was the big fat zero in the turnover column. He had some throws he shouldn't make and some he'd like back, but those will happen every game.

• Plus1 1

I'm pretty sure I said he locked on to his target st Tulane and in the spring game and people thought I was crazy.  He made some mistakes last week and I went to bat for him.  He for some reason thought Morgan was his only option today.  I still think by the time big ten play rolls around he will look better.  Ps... We have terrible team speed 

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I'm pretty sure I said he locked on to his target st Tulane and in the spring game and people thought I was crazy.  He made some mistakes last week and I went to bat for him.  He for some reason thought Morgan was his only option today.  I still think by the time big ten play rolls around he will look better.  Ps... We have terrible team speed 

I feel like we have speedier WRs this year than we have had in a long time.  I thought Lindsey and Spielman were supposed to have good speed.  

As for Tanner, you are right he was locking into his receivers, he also was not stepping into balls despite having ample protection, and he was making poor decisions trying to throw the ball in tight windows or double coverage.  This is exactly what Tommy would do, except Tommy could run the ball too.  

I personally feel like Lee should have been pulled for a drive or two in today's game given his poor judgment and lack of confidence.  It's obvious Riley did not feel that way, but I am curious what it might take for Riley to pull Lee and try POB.  We were told it was a tight competition until Lee was named the starter, and it's not as if Lee has earned the right to be given the benefit of the doubt, so I just wonder what it would take for a QB change to happen.  I certainly hope Lee can turn things around and perform in the clutch in big-time games.