Who should we hire

2 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Exactly! The reason Mike Riley got hired was to repair the damage to the relationship between the fans and the team and to help repair the perception of us on a national level. He was never the guy to bring us back to national relevance and still isn't. Sure Riley is a nice guy, folks like him so they can't help but begin to forget how much of a hothead Pelini was/is and that helps improve their thoughts towards us.

But there are other decent guys out there that also know how to coach.  Riley has no clue how to coach.  Eichorst was very short-sighted for even putting Riley on his short list let alone bringing him in as the head coach.

• Plus1 2
Just now, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Exactly! The reason Mike Riley got hired was to repair the damage to the relationship between the fans and the team and to help repair the perception of us on a national level. He was never the guy to bring us back to national relevance and still isn't. Sure Riley is a nice guy, folks like him so they can't help but begin to forget how much of a hothead Pelini was/is and that helps improve their thoughts towards us.

I'm not saying you're wrong but part of me hopes this wasn't the actual strategy. Nothing heals a damaged relationship like positivity and, in football, that comes in the form of winning. If SE didn't legitimately believe MR could turn Nebraska into a program that could win a conference title then he should've never been hired as a head coach.

• Plus1 3

7 minutes ago, Enhance said:

The program has been taking gambles on coaches for 15 years including a guy many of us thought was the answer to our woes because he had Nebraska ties, was a strong position coach and coordinator.

I think your opinion is a fine opinion to hold, but outside of his name and Nebraska ties, he's still a higher risk than average hire.

I hear you, but he is young.  He knows NU, was heralded as a great recruiter at NU.  Has been the student of OC geniuses in TO and Kelly.  He is simply a winner. He has won everywhere he has been...That says a lot.  More importantly, he "gets" NU. He knows what the culture is.  The pressures, the expectations, how life shuts down on Saturdays for NU fans nation wide.  I don't think he'd be considered average.  Probably a better than average hire, but it could be my rose colored glasses remembering his impassioned speech after beating UT....

At least we would be hiring a guy who has a winning record.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

You kept saying this in another thread, just stop, it's plain ridiculous. That man wasn't the answer, isn't the answer, and I'm glad he's gone regardless of the outcome today. He did enough to damage the national perception of Nebraska with his childish behavior on the sidelines and in front of the media.

I said this once in the other thread and once here.....as a joke. You seem to have some kind of emotional investment in bashing Pelini. Do you really think he would come back here?

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

I'm not saying you're wrong but part of me hopes this wasn't the actual strategy. Nothing heals a damaged relationship like positivity and, in football, that comes in the form of winning. If SE didn't legitimately believe MR could turn Nebraska into a program that could win a conference title then he should've never been hired as a head coach.

When you research Mike Riley NOTHING says that SE should've had the confidence to think MR could win a conference title in the B1G. Absolutely nothing......so I can only assume I'm right.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, lo country said:

I hear you, but he is young.  He knows NU, was heralded as a great recruiter at NU.  Has been the student of OC geniuses in TO and Kelly.  He is simply a winner. He has won everywhere he has been...That says a lot.  More importantly, he "gets" NU. He knows what the culture is.  The pressures, the expectations, how life shuts down on Saturdays for NU fans nation wide.  I don't think he'd be considered average.  Probably a better than average hire, but it could be my rose colored glasses remembering his impassioned speech after beating UT....

At least we would be hiring a guy who has a winning record.

You make good points I can agree with or at least see the justification behind.

Not to get stuck in the minutiae, but does he have a winning record? Isn't he 7-7? Asking out of genuine curiosity. 

Just now, BIGREDIOWAN said:

When you research Mike Riley NOTHING says that SE should've had the confidence to think MR could win a conference title in the B1G. Absolutely nothing......so I can only assume I'm right.

Kind of frightening when you put it that way.

• Plus1 1

Been telling yall for like a year, this is how it goes down:

1) Riley "retires" at the end of this season.  Scott Frost comes in and mostly keeps recruiting class together, probably loses Bookie.

OR

2) Riley floats this thing to a decent finish and manages a 4th year.  He "retires" at the end of the year and we hire Les Miles or PJ Fleck.

Just now, Hayseed said:

I said this once in the other thread and once here.....as a joke. You seem to have some kind of emotional investment in bashing Pelini. Do you really think he would come back here?

So you're trolling for reactions then? I have no emotional investment in bashing him, I personally think he's a POS especially considering all of his snide comments and his reaction upon getting fired. No, I don't think he'd come back here and would hope Nebraska would never ask him to.

5 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

How about hiring a Chancellor who will get us back in the Big 12, then hiring someone like Dave Rimington as AD, then hiring Frost or Bohl.........since we're just speculating?

The Big 12 would be a HUGE step-down from the Big 10 in both prestige and profits.  Surely you aren't the type of person who advocates cowering and/or running from a challenge?

• Plus1 1