Who should we hire

1 hour ago, Knothole Seats @ 50 Cents said:

Can we please stop this talk of returning to the Big 12 or hiring Bob Stoops?  Neither is going to happen.  

I've read several articles that the Big 12 would welcome us back. It'd make sense from a recruiting standpoint. Not to mention the history with those teams. I think if we negotiated a return of the OU/Nebraska game on Black Friday that would be swell. In the Big 10, we're like an unwanted stepchild.

1 hour ago, Red_Payne said:

This is the exact argument that I made...

Raiders finally invested in their O-line, then put Carr behind them; then POOF, a decade of horrid football almost instantaneously becomes a premier offense in the NFL.

Dak Prescott was a rookie MVP candidate. I wonder if that happens without the best O-line in the NFL.

USC and Wash. both invested significantly in recruiting O-line the past couple years; and now they are powerhouses. (USC should always be a powerhouse, but they are coming off of those sanctions/scholy limits). Stanford and Wisc. have seemed to remain relevant, despite being at a recruiting disadvantage (Wisc. being location, Stan. being academic req.) because they know what they want on the O-line, and they know how to develop/build it.

This is a great point, and Im a Raider fan.  It starts up front.  Carr gets shaky when he is pressured(hence his sub par games against Chiefs and Broncos), but when he gets his time he is money.  Nebraska has not focused on their OL, but seems to be all in on these receivers etc.  Build the OL.

Id also like to point out that Riley is not the coach to take us to the next level.  Chip kelly is.

2 hours ago, Blackshirt_Revival said:

In order of preference:

1. Scott Frost

2. Chip Kelly

3. Troy Calhoun

4. D.J. Durkin

5. Craig Bohl

I see a lot of coaches listed here who are big names and have been successful who I don't think would be good long term solutions at Nebraska, chiefly because of the offensive styles they employ not matching up with the players we have greatest access to and Nebraska's built-in recruiting disadvantages.  In our most successful years, we ran an offense that embraced and maximized the abilities of the talent we had greatest access to.

I think a coach is needed who employs a run-first offensive mentality with a physical, brutal O-line (yes, I realize me having Kelly at 2 seems contradictory to that), where the QB is also a fixture in the run game.  Nebraska will never consistently out-recruit schools like USC, Miami, Texas, and Alabama, but with the right coach(es), right scheme, and right values/mentality, I don't think it needs to in order to have sustained success.  

Frost #1 because I think he understands what he'd be walking into here--the expectations, what it would take to be successful.  I think he understands the pressure the job would bring, and I think fans would be more patient with the homegrown kid who was a national championship winning QB here and still early into his coaching career than a more established coach we would expect to win big and right away.

Plus this right here shows me he GETS IT:

“I’ve actually been going to work trying to restudy what we used to do at Nebraska. . . . [W]hat we ran at Nebraska in a lot of ways is very similar to what Oregon runs right now — we’re just out of the shotgun versus under center. But a lot of the concepts of the option game are the same. . . . I would love to see somebody go back to doing what Nebraska used to do. Maybe the Huskers are going to do that this year. Personally, I’d love to someday mix a lot of the concepts that Oregon runs with some of the aspects Nebraska used to run. . . . The one thing I wish we could do at Oregon is be a little more physical. I don’t think that’s a secret. I think everybody on our staff wishes we could be a little more physical on offense. That’s what Nebraska’s calling card was. If we could play fast and physical, I don’t think there’s anybody in the country who could stop us.”

http://smartfootball.com/uncategorized/combining-tom-osbornes-nebraska-offense-with-chip-kellys-oregon-offense-the-stuff-dreams-are-made-of#sthash.qJ3zSLh6.dpbs

I will be interested to see how UCF does against Maryland considering Maryland was able to win at Texas.  I realize Texas is down like Nebraska is currently, but if UCF can give them a game on the road, that would be a good sign for Frost.

6 minutes ago, FTW said:

I've read several articles that the Big 12 would welcome us back. It'd make sense from a recruiting standpoint. Not to mention the history with those teams. I think if we negotiated a return of the OU/Nebraska game on Black Friday that would be swell. In the Big 10, we're like an unwanted stepchild.

I don't think we're like an unwanted stepchild in the Big Ten, we just suck at the major sports. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Morrissey said:

I don't think we're like an unwanted stepchild in the Big Ten, we just suck at the major sports. 

Our current on the field performance is not a result of the Big Ten teams...it's a terrible AD who has brought in terrible coaches.  The star program of Nebraska Athletics is volleyball, and Eichorst had nothing to do with bringing in John Cook.  I think that speaks volumes.  

• Plus1 3

People throwing out Scott Frost's name is pretty comical. I had a buddy who lived in Cedar Falls, and he was at a bar drinking and had a few with Scott Frost. Frost was a coach there at the time. He asked if he is going to come back and coach at Nebraska some day. The only thing he said was, "f#*k Nebraska" and changed the subject. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Bad2theBONES said:

People throwing out Scott Frost's name is pretty comical. I had a buddy who lived in Cedar Falls, and he was at a bar drinking and had a few with Scott Frost. Frost was a coach there at the time. He asked if he is going to come back and coach at Nebraska some day. The only thing he said was, "f#*k Nebraska" and changed the subject. 

Maybe at that time Frost had bad feeling for Nebraska because didn't he want a job under Bo and Bo didn't hire him?

9 minutes ago, Bad2theBONES said:

I think you're right.  I talked to him for about 30 minutes once and he wouldn't engage me in talking Nebraska.  He'd change the subject to Oregon State (because I had an Oregon State shirt on) or how douchy the Arizona State staff was lol.  We also talked golf.