Who should we hire

6 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Riley doesn't do any of these things. He doesn't spread teams out and he's only ever been successful when he's had nfl quarterbacks and those dont grow on tree's. And those slot receivers speilman and Lindsey aren't even out there.

I think I've said it before, but I hate this offense, and I despise the play calling. Even more than that, though, I hate the execution. 

Time is the biggest constraint in coaching, you just don't have enough time to put everything in and practice it to the degree necessary. Regardless of offensive type, the best college offenses usually do something really well. Some set of plays that can be their bread and butter. Maybe something as simple certain passing concept, mesh for example is a primary concept in many air raid systems. I cannot think of anything in this tenure that fits that description. It's like a kitchen sink offense.

Most college teams have a mobile qb.  Most.  Roll out passes, run pass option plays, and straight up qb draw plays they run.

They are not dual threat, but most can move enough to keep the defense honest.  If you don't have some of that in your play book, most defenses will just pin their ears back and collapse the pocket.  Not hard to figure that one out.  How many times did Tommy roll out and and make a play either by running or passing.......alot.  We don't have that option to allow our slower receivers to make cuts to get open.

Is all lost right now....no.  Can we we 8 games this season....not seeing it right now.  Do we want this team to win 8 games this season?  Good question.  We don't like to root for losers, but I really think that Riley is fired at some point whether now this season, or in a couple more.  i think right now, this season is enough of a sample size to move on.

9 hours ago, Garry G said:

I was gonna ask about frost.  Other than nebraska fans...does any other group think he is going to be a good coach...think he needs to do something as a head coach first before giving him a big, well debatable, program

His stock just keeps rising, and rising, and rising, and rising. He is going to get a big time head coaching job at a storied P5 school at some point. Question is if we're going to miss out on him or not.

9 hours ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

If we get anyone, it definitely has to be a tried and true coach.  No more of this great recruiter, crappy manager or great defensive mind, crappy recruiter.  We need a coach who knows how to win, has proven it, and can get himself and his staff up and running quickly.  Pay the coach what he's worth and stop playing cheapskate with a brand name coach.

NO. IT DOESN'T. There is zero correlation between previous head coaching experience and success. Please stop with this false charade. Every single coach on the market, minus Urban Meyer and Nick Saban, is a huge gamble. That's just the reality. We will not ever get a Bob Stoops/Les Miles/Chip Kelly to come here, so we better get used to the idea of an unproven head coach with a lot of potential.

• Plus1 3

8 minutes ago, Landlord said:

His stock just keeps rising, and rising, and rising, and rising. He is going to get a big time head coaching job at a storied P5 school at some point. Question is if we're going to miss out on him or not.

NO. IT DOESN'T. There is zero correlation between previous head coaching experience and success. Please stop with this false charade. Every single coach on the market, minus Urban Meyer and Nick Saban, is a huge gamble. That's just the reality. We will not ever get a Bob Stoops/Les Miles/Chip Kelly to come here, so we better get used to the idea of an unproven head coach with a lot of potential.

I guarantee you given a good amount of money 2 of those 3 would be here immediately, so dont say ever.  You give them 2-3 mil a year both Miles and Kelly would be here, Stoops is enjoying some time off but if it was a year or 2 down the road he'd take the job for that price as well.  You would be stupid not to.

1 minute ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

You give them 2-3 mil a year both Miles and Kelly would be here

lol

You have to go 47 schools down the list in FBS before you find a head coach making less than 3 million a year. For Miles or Kelly to come here, you'd have to offer closer to 10mil. Which we will never do.

• Plus1 3
Just now, Landlord said:

lol

You have to go 47 schools down the list in FBS before you find a head coach making less than 3 million a year. For Miles or Kelly to come here, you'd have to offer closer to 10mil. Which we will never do.

We probably not pay that much but you are the one who said they "will never ever" come here.  We could pay it, but as you said, we wouldnt.

9 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

We probably not pay that much but you are the one who said they "will never ever" come here.  We could pay it, but as you said, we wouldnt.

Hence, they'll never come here.

I mean, Nick Saban would probably come here if we offered him 50 million dollars a year. But we won't ever do that, so practically speaking, he won't ever come here.

• Plus1 1

Swinney was the interim coach at Clemson for 7 games before being named the head coach. He didn't even have any prior coordinator experience. Riley at OU had no prior HC experience. Helton at USC no prior HC experience. Fisher at FSU no prior HC experience. Herman took Houston to 13-1 his first year as a head coach. Why do we NEED a guy with experience?

8 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Les Miles is basically a little bit better version of Riley.  I wouldn't see up winning more than 9 games a year, but we wouldn't lose to NIU.

You realize that Miles is a 0.74 winning percentage coach while Riley is a 0.54 winning percentage coach....   That is a HUGE difference in historical performance.  And Miles has beaten Saban 30% of the times he's played him, which is far better than most coaches do.  I think you underestimate how much of an upgrade he would be over Riley.

1 hour ago, huskerfan92 said:

I wanted Dan Mullen after we fired Bo. Maybe with our president being from Miss. St he can lure him over here. Also big on Scott Frost and Frank Wilson from UTSA.

Another one is Mike Leach just because he'd be entertaining

Mike Leach is probably my 2nd favorite coach... but I dunno if the citizens Nebraska can handle an increase in passing.