Who should we hire

In order of preference:

1. Scott Frost

2. Chip Kelly

3. Troy Calhoun

4. D.J. Durkin

5. Craig Bohl

I see a lot of coaches listed here who are big names and have been successful who I don't think would be good long term solutions at Nebraska, chiefly because of the offensive styles they employ not matching up with the players we have greatest access to and Nebraska's built-in recruiting disadvantages.  In our most successful years, we ran an offense that embraced and maximized the abilities of the talent we had greatest access to.

I think a coach is needed who employs a run-first offensive mentality with a physical, brutal O-line (yes, I realize me having Kelly at 2 seems contradictory to that), where the QB is also a fixture in the run game.  Nebraska will never consistently out-recruit schools like USC, Miami, Texas, and Alabama, but with the right coach(es), right scheme, and right values/mentality, I don't think it needs to in order to have sustained success.  

Frost #1 because I think he understands what he'd be walking into here--the expectations, what it would take to be successful.  I think he understands the pressure the job would bring, and I think fans would be more patient with the homegrown kid who was a national championship winning QB here and still early into his coaching career than a more established coach we would expect to win big and right away.

Plus this right here shows me he GETS IT:

“I’ve actually been going to work trying to restudy what we used to do at Nebraska. . . . [W]hat we ran at Nebraska in a lot of ways is very similar to what Oregon runs right now — we’re just out of the shotgun versus under center. But a lot of the concepts of the option game are the same. . . . I would love to see somebody go back to doing what Nebraska used to do. Maybe the Huskers are going to do that this year. Personally, I’d love to someday mix a lot of the concepts that Oregon runs with some of the aspects Nebraska used to run. . . . The one thing I wish we could do at Oregon is be a little more physical. I don’t think that’s a secret. I think everybody on our staff wishes we could be a little more physical on offense. That’s what Nebraska’s calling card was. If we could play fast and physical, I don’t think there’s anybody in the country who could stop us.”

http://smartfootball.com/uncategorized/combining-tom-osbornes-nebraska-offense-with-chip-kellys-oregon-offense-the-stuff-dreams-are-made-of#sthash.qJ3zSLh6.dpbs

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Husker FB said:

Time is now! 

Admittedly; I am now regretting that post... I'm on the fence on whether the time is now... still leaning on too early; I mean, Cav or Langs becomes interim HC if Riley is fired, and we see no diff. and we'll probably be blasted for firing a HC after only 3 games. not a good look... However, the product we are currently putting on the field isn't lookin' too good.

No matter when we fire a coach, its going to look terrible.  We need a plan in place, coach in place before we ever fire this one.  The Solich curse is lingering on and on.  Sooner or later, I think we will get the right guy in place.  We can't keep going down this road of losing games to sub par teams.  No disrespect to NIU, they came in here and won the game but are not capable of winning more than a handful of games in the Big 10 each and every season.  They can group together for one game each season, but don't have enough in the tank for a whole season.

14 minutes ago, FTW said:

Whoever replaces Riley has to understand the culture of Nebraska and it's identity. Hard nosed, smash mouth physical football. That's the way it should always be. Wisconsin does it right. I'd like to see us be like that except with a mobile QB because they are so hard to defend.

you do know that Alvarez copied Devany/Osborne's  hard nosed run first good defense nothing fancy style to get Wisconsin to be a big 10 contender?

ironic right?

51 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

No matter when we fire a coach, its going to look terrible.  We need a plan in place, coach in place before we ever fire this one.  The Solich curse is lingering on and on.  Sooner or later, I think we will get the right guy in place.  We can't keep going down this road of losing games to sub par teams.  No disrespect to NIU, they came in here and won the game but are not capable of winning more than a handful of games in the Big 10 each and every season.  They can group together for one game each season, but don't have enough in the tank for a whole season.

We have to end the curse. I vote for a halftime ceremony honoring Solich and giving him a lifetime achievement award. The Bad JuJu is killing us. :)

• Plus1 3

In basketball you can see a lower level team beat the likes of UK, UNC, or KU.  That happens.  In football it doesn't happen very often.  The reason for that is talent.  This game showed the nation what talent level we actually have.  NIU was the faster team on the field.  They were more physical.  Even on an off day, your talent should win out.  Today was a replay of our first two games.  Our lack of talent is not a fluke.  Big 10 teams in general will have a field day against this setup.