Callahan/Pelini/Riley... (Who was the worst?) Megathread

Redux
Message added by Saunders

We don't need multiple topics to discuss which coach sucks the most. Let's keep all that in here.

I aint gonna rank em all the way down. I just aint got the heart to sit and analyze each loss. It's too depressing. All I'll say is that the Texas game 2010 is without question the most depressing game I've ever witnessed. Worse than Colorado 2001. Worse than anything in the Callahan era. All the hype. All the buildup. A severely wounded Texas program. Our rejuvenated offense with a very electric qb. First top 5 ranking in god knows how long. And then that. It was just so excrutiating to watch. It was just so symbolic of what our program had become over the last decade and here we thought we were finally back, only to let Texas kick us in the nuts one last time for their lone shining moment of their worst season in probably forever as we walked out of the Big 12 door.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I'd say Texas 10' has to be higher (#18,#19), and nothing in 08' should be in the bottom 10 of that list...all under 10. A&M in 10' is another one that needs to be ranked really high (#16-#17). That was a low point for the program.

I thought it was a low point for Big XII officiating

^This

I never thought we were going to lose that '09 Iowa State game. I was sure we were going to get it done right up until that INT at 90 seconds to go. Finally, at that moment, I said out loud, "We're going to lose this game." I just sat there, dumbfounded.

Oddly, I thought we were going to lose the 2010 ISU game pretty much the whole time. When Eric Hagg intercepted that two-point conversion try I about had a conniption. I knew something was up on that tying PAT attempt. I saw that end go out into the end zone and I knew we had lost that game.

Good thing Hagg knew something was up, too. :D

• Plus1 2

I never thought we were going to lose that '09 Iowa State game. I was sure we were going to get it done right up until that INT at 90 seconds to go. Finally, at that moment, I said out loud, "We're going to lose this game." I just sat there, dumbfounded.

Oddly, I thought we were going to lose the 2010 ISU game pretty much the whole time. When Eric Hagg intercepted that two-point conversion try I about had a conniption. I knew something was up on that tying PAT attempt. I saw that end go out into the end zone and I knew we had lost that game.

Good thing Hagg knew something was up, too. :D

I miss Eric Hagg

The heartbreaking games are generally games we could have won and almost did. So at least there was that.

I reserve a special spot for the rematch with Washington in the whatever bowl after the 2010 season. The Huskers were so lifeless and seemingly incompetent against a marginal opponent that it made you wonder if the post-Callahan turnaround had even happened. Same could be said for Iowa State, but coming the last game of the season the stink was left to linger for months.

Didn't we do this same delightful thread just a couple months ago?

'08 Offense + '09 Defense = National Championship, I've been saying this for years and I'm glad to see people share that concept.

IMO, the 2010 offense was better. A healthy Martinez with Burkhead and Helu! MMMMMMMM!! those 3 with Suh and the crew? MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I'd say Texas 10' has to be higher (#18,#19), and nothing in 08' should be in the bottom 10 of that list...all under 10. A&M in 10' is another one that needs to be ranked really high (#16-#17). That was a low point for the program.

I thought it was a low point for Big XII officiating

The A&M game was worse. The referees look like they came straight from the WWF.

Just looking at this list of losses and conjuring memories of each of these games, whether they were respectable or embarrassing, regardless of ranking, is a numbing process. Damn you 95 Redux!

It's been a long offseason. I suppose the reason I remember the losses is because technically Nebraska hasn't won a game since November of 2012. How's that for a kick in the nuts? No with that said, if the Defense matures quickly and Taylor/Abdullah quit puking the ball up we shouldn't really add any losses to this list. Here's to hoping for a special season.

Now, since the losses are too painful to think about right now, what games would you place in your top 10 for WINS under Coach Bo? I made a chart for that as well.

TOP 10 HOME WINS (Note: The order is backwards)

1. '08 W. Michigan 47-24 - This was special because it was Bo's first win as (official) head coach.
  2. '09 UL Laffayete 55-0 - This was a statement win for a faltering offense after a heartbreaker in Blacksburg the week before.
  3. '10 Mizzou 31-17 - This put the nail in the coffin of the 'rivalry'. A solid win over an 10-3 team.
  4. '11 Michigan State 24-3 - The Spartans had momentum to come in and slaughter us during their special run but we stepped up and defended Lincoln admirably.
  5. '12 Michigan 23-9 - For me this was an end to a sour string of games I personally attended. Respected and ranked opponent, solid win.
  6. '12 Penn St. 32-23 - This was a nail biter to the end over a storied team that could have gone in their favor. The team stuck together and won.
  7. '12 Wisconsin 30-27 - 2nd largest comeback in school history on a special night game, alternate uniform, grudge match from Madison the year before.
  8. '09 Oklahoma 10-3 - We needed this game badly and the offense did just enough to help our dynamic defense win a struggle against the Sooners one last time.
  9. '08 Colorado 40-31 - The school record 57 yard FG and the Suh pick 6 are the stuff of legend. Great comeback rivalry win.
  10. '11 Ohio State 34-27 - The biggest nail biter in recent memory. Largest comeback deficit in school history to beat the staple of the Big Ten Conference.

TOP 10 ROAD WINS (Note: The order is backwards)

1. '10 K-State 48-13 - I expected this game to be close. Nebraska came out and kicked the purples teeth down their throat in Manhattan to say adios.
  2. '08 Clemson 26-21 - Bo's first season capped off with a big bowl win over a very respectable Clemson team that was better than their record indicated.
  3. '12 Michigan St. 28-24 - This was absolutely nerve racking to watch. But in the end a couple breaks and some clutch QB/WR play gave us a huge road win.
  4. '09 Arizona 33-0 - The infamous "Nebraska's back" Bowl win was a clinic of the special season Suh and the 2009 Blackshirts had. Awesome bowl win.
  5. '10 'Iowa State 31-30 - Nebraska controlled but ISU fought back. Instead of tying, an Int. by Hagg on a fake FG gave us the closing second redemption win.
  6. '09 Mizzou 27-12 - Embarassingly down 12-0 getting late Nebraska came to life and tore through the Tigers to win in convincing all be it late fashion.
  7. '12 Northwestern 29-28 - Redemption on the road in this 12 point comeback. Husker fans will talk for years about the takeover of Ryan Field. Clutch comeback win.
  8. '10 Washington 56-21 - "Nebraska fans just took our stadium over." A slaughtering for the ages, Taylor Martinez shined in this huge win over the Huskies.
  9. '11 Penn St. 17-14 - I'll never forget thinking this game could be ugly but the pre-game mid field meeting between both teams was truly an important moment.
  10. '10 Oklahoma St. 51-41 - What a shootout. This game pretty much had it all but defense. Big 12 Football at its finest. Huge win on road over an 11 win team.
  • 4 years later...