Blinders for hometown candidates?

13 minutes ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

I think we all want more than just looking like we belong on the field.

No, I think the Husker fans, especially after this 15 year debacle, would be content with knowing we have a chance to win any game we play. Would we be happy with close losses against Top 20 teams? No, but we wouldn't revolt either after climbing out of this mess.

• Plus1 1

Speaking for myself,  while it sure would be nice not getting blown out a few times each year, I am not confident the majority of the fan base would long tolerate many seasons with 3-4 close loses.  Certainly during the first few seasons that would be expected, but fans quickly calibrate their expectations.  Being in the hunt for the conference title each year and occasionally the playoff is more than belonging on the field of play, but certainly is what I think most hope to attain this time. 

5 hours ago, Chumpy34 said:

When Riley was hired and brought over almost his entire coaching staff with him from OSU and started wearing the Husker "N" on his hats and shirts, it just didn't feel right.  They had no connection to Nebraska but suddenly were Huskers?  Maybe no one else feels this way, but for me, I want someone leading the team or even the athletic department that has ties to the state.  They either grew up here or played for the Huskers and understand the traditions.  I live in Arizona and every time someone stops me because I have my Nebraska hat on, you have this immediate connection and common ground.  "Hey, you from Nebraska?"  "Yeah, I grew up there."  And a conversation forms.  I don't believe Alberts/Frost are definitely better than other AD/Coach combos out there but I do know that I will root for them harder, show more patience and just have a level of confidence that their decisions are in line with the culture and roots of the Big Red which I believe will translate to wins on the field.

All Nebraska coaching staff: go. 

• Plus1 1

14 hours ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

I see a lot of preference for home grown AD/HC candidates. I am not against an Alberts/Frost duo and I get it.  What better way to bring back success than via someone who not only has achieved it, but someone who has done it here!

However, the notion that since former players understand Nebraska they will magically bring back the glory years makes me wonder.  It is not as if they will come in and show tape of 1995 and all of sudden everyone will collectively stand up, throw their hands in the air and say, " Now I get it. You want us to be really good, have pride and win all of our games!"  

Nebraska's toughest recruiting challenges are bringing out-of-state kids into Lincoln. Other schools need to effectively use the state pride card to influence local talent to stay home.  Tugging at the heart strings of kids from California, Florida, Ohio or Michigan by showing them past success that was attributed when high school talent represented their home state makes sense.  Having a coach in a living room that was a player for the local university has influence there.  Telling the same kids about Nebraska pride won't mean a thing.  It is a different sales pitch (like it or not that is what it is).  

Can we afford another swing and miss?  The game has changed since the 90's, we all know that.  The number of schools offering a scholarship to play football has drastically changed in 30 years.  Kids who would walk-on for TO are now getting a scholarship someplace else.  There is no conference loyalty, everyone is on TV and social media is more important than the primetime game.  Teams that were not even Division 1 football programs years ago now have practice and training facilities as nice as any other in the nation.  Things have changed.  Coach Osbourne was a man of tradition, but he was also an innovator.  You can't run fast looking behind you.

When the legend Bear Bryant left Alabama, they thought a "Bama guy" had to replace him.  They brought in former player Ray Perkins.   They tried another "Bryant guy" in Gene Stallings who played for the Bear at A&M (one of the famous Junction Boys) and later as an assistant coach in Tuscaloosa. Then they hired Mike DuBose who had played there.  They also gave alumnus Mike Shula a try.  Then they hired Nick Saban.  Now many say the Bear was their second best coach of all time.  Saban is a West Virginia kid who has player and coaching roots largely in Ohio.

While we root for the hometown guys, how much does that factor take precedence?  Will this be a true nationwide search or does in-state influence demand if the next guy fails, at least it was one of ours?  I do hope the search for both positions is not unnecessarily quick, based on emotions or feelings of nostalgia.  As a professional, putting your best foot forward often necessitates that you put those things aside. 

Stallings did win a Natty right?

As I've said elsewhere, I want Frost because I like what I see from him and I see his star rising. On the AD front I can think of three off the top of my head I prefer to Trev

2 years as Athetic Director at a D2 school in the MIAA Conference.

6 years as Athletic Director of a non P5 D1 school in the Summitt League. Overseeing an athletic department without a football program.

3 years as vice chancellor of athletics for a non P5 D1 school in the Summitt League.

That is Trev Alberts' entire relevant resume.

That resume on it's merits alone is a resume for a candidate for a sunbelt or conference USA job... NOT a Big Ten Job and certainly not a job at a place like Nebraska.

I like Trev but if he doesn't play here anyone bringing his name up as a serious candidate for this job would be laughed out of the room.  

Whoever the AD is at Creighton or South Dakota, or even Witchita State is likely far more qualified than Trev Alberts and if for some reason any of them got the job people would riot becaise they were underqualified. 

Look at that resume again, do you honestly think OSU or Michigan or Penn State hires anyone with that resume? Of course not..so why the hell should Nebraska? Because he played football here 20+ years ago?

• Plus1 5
4 hours ago, Blackshirt316 said:

2 years as Athetic Director at a D2 school in the MIAA Conference.

6 years as Athletic Director of a non P5 D1 school in the Summitt League. Overseeing an athletic department without a football program.

3 years as vice chancellor of athletics for a non P5 D1 school in the Summitt League.

That is Trev Alberts' entire relevant resume.

That resume on it's merits alone is a resume for a candidate for a sunbelt or conference USA job... NOT a Big Ten Job and certainly not a job at a place like Nebraska.

I like Trev but if he doesn't play here anyone bringing his name up as a serious candidate for this job would be laughed out of the room.  

Whoever the AD is at Creighton or South Dakota, or even Witchita State is likely far more qualified than Trev Alberts and if for some reason any of them got the job people would riot becaise they were underqualified. 

Look at that resume again, do you honestly think OSU or Michigan or Penn State hires anyone with that resume? Of course not..so why the hell should Nebraska? Because he played football here 20+ years ago?

Yeah, more and more it actually appears some actually believe bringing someone from that era will magically reproduce the results of that era.  If only life and football was that simple.