What did we learn-Game 4 Rutgers

JJ Husker

Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

Here's where things get totally subjective:

Watching the Spring Game it seemed clear to me that Tristan Gebbia had better instincts and baller attitude than the two QBs ahead of him. 

That's the stuff you can't coach, and it's the stuff that wins games regardless of the stat line.

If my job was on the line I'd throw him into the fire and get the Tristan Gebbia era started. 

Yep.  The coaches have mentioned that they may have been too protective or redshirts last year - mainly on the OL.

If you apply that lesson to this year, they may not have any reason to save a year for Gebbia if this year's trajectory doesn't change drastically.

3 hours ago, Igetbored216 said:

It's pretty depressing that Lee is doing this horrible, but none of the backups are any better. As stated above, this leads to two conclusions: 1) Langsdorf is a bad QB coach, and/or 2) Langsdorf does not know how to put his players in position to be effective. 

I've never seen Lee play in person but I've heard various opinions of how awesome he looks in practice- strong arm, confidence, etc.  Maybe his weakness is processing speed. At this point, he appears to struggle with perceiving lots of different information instantly and reacting quickly. In other words, he is lacking the fluidity to adapt put has crystallized skills. 

I think TA was similar but his skills in isolation were scrambling and toughness. It's going to be a long year for Lee(and us apparently) if he is not supported by outstanding line and receiver play as I don't think he naturally makes good things happen on his own.  In baseball, Wesee this occasionally with kids who spend too much time in the batting cage, hitting off a tee rather than looking at live pitching and training the eye to pick up on "seeing" the nuances of arm and ball movement.  

17 hours ago, Mavric said:

Incidentally, this discussion made me think of a different comparison to make.

Tanner Lee under Langsdorf: 76/146, 52.1%, 898 yards, 6.2 ypa, 7 TDs, 9 INTs

Ryker Fyfe under Langsdorf: 82/154, 53.2%, 998 yards, 6.5 ypa, 9 TDs, 6 INTs

So apparently our current QB is statistically worse than the guy who everyone insisted wasn't good enough to play ahead of an injured Tommy Armstrong last year.

Let that play into the "POB must not be good enough to play" conversation however you like.

And 90% of Fyfe's attempts were against Purdue, Ohio St, Maryland, and Tennessee

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Here's where things get totally subjective:

Watching the Spring Game it seemed clear to me that Tristan Gebbia had better instincts and baller attitude than the two QBs ahead of him. 

That's the stuff you can't coach, and it's the stuff that wins games regardless of the stat line.

If my job was on the line I'd throw him into the fire and get the Tristan Gebbia era started. 

This is what I don't understand at all.  If a coach is coaching for his job, it would seem Gebbia should see some playing time.  If the handwriting is on the wall and the staff is out at the end of the year, it would seem Gebbia should see some time because a redshirt season this year does no good because he likely transfers if Riley is done here.  The only logical conclusion I can come up with is the staff fears a career ending injury to Gebbia behind our OL.

Even if we agree on the stakes, the risks and the rewards, pulling Lee for Gebbia and bypassing O'Brien would be perceived as the panic move it is. 

If the true freshman is a revelation, all is forgiven. Maybe. The knives would really come out if he's anything less. 

But if a game on the bench destroys Tanner Lee's confidence, he doesn't deserve another shot. And I kinda considered Rutgers his another shot.

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Even if we agree on the stakes, the risks and the rewards, pulling Lee for Gebbia and bypassing O'Brien would be perceived as the panic move it is. 

If the true freshman is a revelation, all is forgiven. Maybe. The knives would really come out if he's anything less. 

But if a game on the bench destroys Tanner Lee's confidence, he doesn't deserve another shot. And I kinda considered Rutgers his another shot.

Agree with this.  I don't know if either Gebbia or POB is better.  But I wouldn't be letting Gebbia's redshirt slow me up at this point.

I think it's past the point where someone else should have gotten a shot.  But barring a more complete disaster than we've seen already, that doesn't appear to be how it will play out - at least for the short term.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

It's bulletin board speculation that none of the backups are doing better.

We've heard nothing but coach speak when it comes to Lee and why they're starting him and it really doesn't say anything about the backups in my opinion.  It's all bulletin board speculation that our backups can't hack it.

If anything, it's message boards suggesting they can play (or at least can't be worse) and the coaches saying they aren't suitable replacements at this time.

On 9/27/2017 at 7:05 PM, BlitzFirst said:

It's bulletin board speculation that none of the backups are doing better.

We've heard nothing but coach speak when it comes to Lee and why they're starting him and it really doesn't say anything about the backups in my opinion.  It's all bulletin board speculation that our backups can't hack it.

I do think one of the other two are better than Lee. They would almost have to try to perform worse than Lee. I am just going off Langsdorf and him saying there was a "large gap." That, and if one of them was indeed better, why wouldn't you play one of them?