What did we learn-Game 4 Rutgers

JJ Husker

40 minutes ago, zoogs said:

It's really the offense at this point. Sam McKewon RT'd an astute observation during the game and I think it rings true about the entire Riley era: "This is an NFL offense built to win games 24-17."

POB and Gebbia are just different guys. They'll be working in the same offense, dealing with the same issues (a WIP OL, lacking receiver depth, an offense designed the same way, and lots of pressure to produce). The only thing is they'll have more growing pains on top of that. 

By the end of the year it'll be a good time to review if Riley & co. should get the chance to continue running this NU offense. Does it work at the college level? Perhaps Langs really belongs back in the NFL as a QBs coach. And I like Langs.

Langs belongs in high school- and as Riley found out n San Diego this offense was built to lose games in the NFL

34 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I'd rather Gebbia keep his redshirt in case this season turns into a total disaster.

Defense kept Rutgers to 200 yards.  Rutgers is averaging 400 but that is padded by Morgan State.  Washington allowed 300 and Eastern Michigan 330.  I'll take it as a good sign.

They were also without their lead wr/returner. That had to affect them. Kill ran fewer play types than your average option team.

The run defense was much improved, though, in function. Didn't seem like as many missed assignments, even in comparison to a week ago. 

It's really not possible to carry on a conversation with people who just need to vent their anger about results by saying the worst things possible about coaches.

But fandom is ubiquitous about this. As it turns out, almost all coaches everywhere don't have a clue what they're doing and belong in the amateur ranks.

That doesn't have to be the case and we can still have a reasoned discussion about right fit, right direction, earning keep, and so on. Nebraska fans have high football IQs. We can do better than "Run the damn ball", "bring back the 90s", and "Coaches are actually stupid".

• Plus1 3

I found out our fans are just as loyal as I thought. Leaving in the fourth quarter of a ten point game with six minutes left?!?

Also, POB needs to get some first team reps in practice, because Langsdorf has proven he can only gameplan for a certain QB; if he has to go to another one, it's a cluster.

So, Langs isn't going to put in POB willingly when he's gameplanned with Tanner LeeeeaaaveHimOnTheBench.

6 minutes ago, zoogs said:

It's really not possible to carry on a conversation with people who just need to vent their anger about results by saying the worst things possible about coaches.

But fandom is ubiquitous about this. As it turns out, almost all coaches everywhere don't have a clue what they're doing and belong in the amateur ranks.

That doesn't have to be the case and we can still have a reasoned discussion about right fit, right direction, earning keep, and so on. Nebraska fans have high football IQs. We can do better than "Run the damn ball", "bring back the 90s", and "Coaches are actually stupid".

Sooo...college?

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Edison's Enemy said:

I found out our fans are just as loyal as I thought. Leaving in the fourth quarter of a ten point game with six minutes left?!?

Also, POB needs to get some first team reps in practice, because Langsdorf has proven he can only gameplan for a certain QB; if he has to go to another one, it's a cluster.

So, Langs isn't going to put in POB willingly when he's gameplanned with Tanner LeeeeaaaveHimOnTheBench.

In a 90 degree day, I might be tempted to leave when the game is in hand, too. 

55 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I learned that like Keller in 2007, Lee won't get benched no matter how badly he plays. It's absolutely baffling.

The defense continues to improve. Starting to attack and gang tackle well.

With as bad as Rutgers is, this game continues to lower my confidence in the coaching staff. We had a lot of injuries, so maybe this was a turning point and the team will get better going forward. But I just can't see us winning with Lee throwing picks.

The picks are devastating, but he is also unable to hit open guys. Underthrow, overthrow, you name it. He can miss guys in every way possible. This is the worst QB play I have seen at UNL including Keller. 

As a coach, even if you want to stick with the guy, take him out for a series or two. He was clearly frustrated and lost out there. 

With  the exception of the defense I saw no bright spots and the defense while encouraging still needs to prove it can play like this against real teams. 

At at the end of the day this is just not an enjoyable team to watch at this point. The product on the field is terrible 

• Plus1 3