What did we learn-Game 4 Rutgers

JJ Husker

47 minutes ago, zoogs said:

I like these guys. They're class acts, good teachers. If it doesn't work out I hope the next guys are in the same mold.

I agree Riley is a class act. I can't comment on how classy Langs is, have only heard him speak once to some reporters. So I guess in that sense I like them too. But as for good teachers or coaches.....I've seen no proof of that displayed on Saturdays. Hey, I like Riley a lot, as a person, but he is not getting the job done. This is the 4th game of his 3rd season, that is all the time that can be afforded to show if things are headed in the right direction. We've won only 4 of our last 10 games with the 2 most recent being anything but stellar performances against Arky State and Rutgers....and a home loss to NIU. That is not remotely in the direction this program needs to be headed. I just hope they figure out a way to amicably break it off with Riley so we aren't viewed poorly nationally again. I have nothing but good wishes for Mike. I want him out more for his own good than the teams. He doesn't deserve the sh#tstorm that will ensue should this needlessly drag out. He just isn't going to accomplish what we want here.

• Plus1 4

I learned Riley must be a good leader. It's pretty impressive to hold the ship together enough to win a conference game, bad as Rutgers might be, in a 10-day period of time where:

- There's uproar over the ending of Black Friday games (something that Riley might not even be around for given it's 3 years down the road).

- The AD gets fired.

- You play without the following players: Tre Bryant (#1 RB), Stanley Morgan (#1 WR), Cole Conrad (#1 C), David Knevel (#1 RT), Matt Farniok (#2 RT), Marcus Newby (#1 OLB), Tyrin Ferguson (#2/3 OLB), Josha Kalu (#1 S), Chris Jones (#1 CB), and Aaron Williams (#1 S - yes, on a penalty, but he basically missed the entire game).

I did see some positives during the game as well. For as frustrating as Langsdorf's play calling can be, it looked to me like he finally decided to play to the team's strength and run the ball. The second half looked a lot like the 2009 offensive game plan - run the ball, grind out first downs, let the clock run, avoid back breaking turnovers, punt and play D when necessary, get a big special teams play or two, and take advantage when you get the short field. As ugly as it might be to watch, it's a way the team can stay in the game. That should be the approach going forward, and I think it will be. Riley isn't stupid, he knows what the rest of this season is about. Win games however possible, and give yourself a chance to keep your job, or beat yourself and say goodbye.

We can talk about how terrible Rutger is, but Washington had 84 yards rushing on 24 carries (3.5 ypc). Eastern Michigan had 114 on 35 carries (3.3). Morgan State had 80 yards on 37 carries (2.2 ypc). Not a ton of great competition, but they've been decent against the run. I think it's a success when the Huskers rush for 200 yards while missing their starting center and playing a true freshman at tackle.

And, you know what? The D looks pretty darn good. I think it's really impressive given the number of guys they're playing. The depth will be much improved as they start to get guys back from injury.

I like Riley in every way, except the consistency on the field. I know that's what he gets paid for, and I'm hoping he can figure it out.

• Plus1 8
22 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

In a 90 degree day, I might be tempted to leave when the game is in hand, too. 

22 minutes ago, brophog said:

It was quite hot, and the game was beyond over at that point. Rutgers had all but conceded.

The game was most definitely not decided. Rutgers has the ball down ten with a pocket of timeouts and six minutes?!

With this team, that is absolutely far from at hand.

Just now, bimmerman323i said:

We can talk about how terrible Rutger is, but Washington had 84 yards rushing on 24 carries (3.5 ypc). Eastern Michigan had 114 on 35 carries (3.3). Morgan State had 80 yards on 37 carries (2.2 ypc). Not a ton of great competition, but they've been decent against the run. I think it's a success when the Huskers rush for 200 yards while missing their starting center and playing a true freshman at tackle.

And, you know what? The D looks pretty darn good. I think it's really impressive given the number of guys they're playing. The depth will be much improved as they start to get guys back from injury.

Thank you for those stats on offense.  And yes the defense looks great, even with the offense constantly putting them in a hole.  I miss Tommy Armstrong.  Never thought I'd say it.

I learned that (reaffirmed my belief) that Langs is completely incompetent and is truly the reason our offense struggles.

Oz is a beast and I have no idea why he hasn't played.

Diaco's D might be on to something.  It was Rutgers, but looking back to Oregon (IMO who let off the gas) and NIU they have improved and are the one unit improving.

I think that keeping Cav and Langs this year will possibly (probably) cost Riley his job.

JD is going to be a special player.

Our OL does much better in the run game.

Tanner has no pocket presence.

Tanner is tough as nails.

I thought Jaime did a great job.

Press coverage and pressure actually work.

Reed is solid at safety.

Imagine had Jackson stayed at safety last year and Kalu at CB this year...

We beat team we should have with multiple starters and some 2 deep out.

Riley should take over playacting duties from Langs like he dis at OSU.

Fans rocked it out.

What I learned, today and continue to learn tonight is that compared to other teams, were not that good.  Watching Iowa and Penn St, now thats Defense, on both sides!

Barkley will just shred us when we play Penn St.  Great back!  Its hard not to be Negative Nancy when you see how other teams play football!  For those above posters who think we have talent on defense, watch Penn ST and Iowa.  For those who want to see speed on the field, watch OU and Baylor.  Were light years away from being like any of those teams right now.  

33 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Come to think of it...We learned just how far Riley has lowered our expectations as fans.  A 10 point home win against a team that has not won a conference game since ED could drink more than one drink without passing out...

He really has Rileyed us.  We have fans saying things like "I think 7 wins and he keeps his job"

WTF? I can easily still have 2 drinks before passing out. 

And, FYI, I could make better passing decisions than TL after a whole case of Busch....while passed out.

• Plus1 3
50 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

My 2 cents on Lee. Extremely frusting to watch because I feel like some plays he actually does do everything right. I saw a handful of plays today where he worked through the progression, found a  open man and stepped into his throw. Then the next play he stares a guy down then throws off the back foot into double coverage. He shows flashes but the inconsistencies kill us.

I think we would have blown Rutgers doors off if we don't turn the ball over. We thoroughly dominated them in my view and the score would have looked much better if we can somehow get decent QB play and stick with the run a little better. 

We would've worn out their defense by halftime if we had a running game that was more than "run and find a hole".

11 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

What I learned, today and continue to learn tonight is that compared to other teams, were not that good.  Watching Iowa and Penn St, now thats Defense, on both sides!

Barkley will just shred us when we play Penn St.  Great back!  Its hard not to be Negative Nancy when you see how other teams play football!  For those above posters who think we have talent on defense, watch Penn ST and Iowa.  For those who want to see speed on the field, watch OU and Baylor.  Were light years away from being like any of those teams right now.  

Baylor has lost to Liberty, UTSA, and Duke. I don't think we are light years away from them. I think we are in the same low rent district in which Baylor currently resides.