What did we learn-Game 4 Rutgers

JJ Husker

Offense -

• Their issues are nearly 100% coaching.  They continue to put their players in positions that exploit their weaknesses.
    • I was certain at the beginning of the year that they were going to use a short passing game (screen and 3 step) to make things a little easier on the O-Line and loosen the D up a bit.  This offense looks the exact same as it did with Tommy Armstrong.  The only difference is the QB can't run.  Chuck the ball down the field and see what happens.
    • You have to sit Lee for his mistakes.  How many times is he going to throw into triple coverage or across the field.  This is where Riley confirmed to me that he is not the person to lead this team to the next level.
    • Ozigbo could have been the grinder that was needed earlier in the season, but instead he has sat the bench for three games.  It's mind boggling.
  • Lee is average at best.
    • I feel bad for the kid.  It's not all his fault, but he forces everything.  Throw the ball out of bounds...something.  Please.
  • Offensive Scheme - I still don't understand what we are trying to do.  We can't run consistently.   Our passing game seems novice and predictable.

Defense -

• Reed really looked good.  Good rebound from last week.
  • 3 man rush soft zone doesn't work.  I'm glad he finally got away from it.  And didn't go back!

Coaching -

• How can not use your last 3 time outs in first half when there is a minute left on the clock?
  • This crew will finish out the season, but they won't be back next year.  There is no way.
  • Plus1 1

Although it is a sad by-product, I learned that I am becoming more and more of a fan of college football overall.  I watched some of the Okie LIte v TCU game, several other games and watching the PSU v Iowa game right now.  I realize I've never really watched those types of games.  I'd watch the Husker game, and then check scores of others.  College football is really quite entertaining in a big picture sort of way.

Edit:  Oh, by the way....Saquon (sp?) Barkley is a legit Heisman candidate.  That dude is amazing.

Edited by grandpasknee
Just now, grandpasknee said:

Although it is a sad by-product, I learned that I am becoming more and more of a fan of college football overall.  I watched some of the Okie LIte v TCU game, several other games and watching the PSU v Iowa game right now.  I realize I've never really watched those types of games.  I'd watch the Husker game, and then check scores of others.  College football is really quite entertaining in a big picture sort of way.

And our coach prefers to run an antiquated pro-style offense that is lucky to break 20 points in a game. 

• Plus1 1

Learned that the win will blindly allow people to feel good about the coaching. We're going to be lucky to win 3-4 more. Coaching completely inept. Loved the play from the RBs today. They were fantastic getting back to the line of scrimmage. 

Also, for anyone thinking Arkansas state was a good team...wrong. I'm at the SMU- ASU game and SMU is up 23 to start the 4th

1 hour ago, Whistlepig said:

Define "retire"  because there is no way he's giving up the millions we will owe him- he came here because this is his 401k

we have to fire his saggy butt and by still playing Lee he's trying to retire early

He had 6 or more years on his OSU contract left.  He also had a sweet deal where everytime he made a bowl game, a year was added to his contract.  He easily could have retired there.  

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think he had a lifetime contract, right?

But, they wanted him to can his staff...

No, not a lifetime contract but he had quite a few years left on it.  They wanted to can him and the whole staff, but they couldn't buy him out so they put pressure on him to can his staff.  He wouldn't do it, asked to get his staff raises and was denied the raises.  After a few seasons of this, and an offer from Eichorst, he resigned.  OSU fans celebrated.  One Neb/OSU fan said out loud, "RUFKM."  I'll let you guess who that fan was ;)

• Plus1 2