8 Wins.

My prediction based not on what I desire but on past performance is that we get 2 more wins and end up 4-8

Ill -  at Ill, they have 2 weeks to prepare for us - I see this as a Illinois win as Lovie out-coaches MR.

Wisc - will be ugly - loss

OSU - this will be uglier - loss

Purdue -  Not sure on this one.  They played Louisville and Michigan pretty well in loses.  We have 2 weeks to prepare and to recover from OSU - I give a

slight edge to NU. 

NW - at NU.  NW hasn't impressed yet.  I'll call this one for Huskers since it is at home.

Minny - at Minn. Min has 3 wins in the book.  Good HC.  Minn Win.

PSU - at PSU.  won't be pretty PSU win.

Iowa - if the same Iowa team shows up that showed up against PSU - this will be an Iowa win. 

54 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

My prediction based not on what I desire but on past performance is that we get 2 more wins and end up 4-8

Ill -  at Ill, they have 2 weeks to prepare for us - I see this as a Illinois win as Lovie out-coaches MR.

Wisc - will be ugly - loss

OSU - this will be uglier - loss

Purdue -  Not sure on this one.  They played Louisville and Michigan pretty well in loses.  We have 2 weeks to prepare and to recover from OSU - I give a

slight edge to NU. 

NW - at NU.  NW hasn't impressed yet.  I'll call this one for Huskers since it is at home.

Minny - at Minn. Min has 3 wins in the book.  Good HC.  Minn Win.

PSU - at PSU.  won't be pretty PSU win.

Iowa - if the same Iowa team shows up that showed up against PSU - this will be an Iowa win. 

Purdue will be a loss and I can't believe I just typed that.

• Plus1 2

I don't think there is a magic number of wins that applies to all situations, like the 9-win or 7-win rules that don't really exist.  Each season will have factors that modify expectations.

- a first-year coach has a lot more leeway, unless he does something fire-able off the field.

- a coach with consecutive substandard (ranked 30+) recruiting classes will probably be given far less leeway.

- a coach with consecutive excellent (ranked top 15) recruiting classes will probably be given a little more leeway.

- a coach that gets blown-out in embarrassing fashion on national TV will be given far less leeway.

- a coach that produces embarrassing media attention based on behavior or rules violations will be given far less leeway.

- a coach with milestone achievements, like division, conference, or national titles will be given MUCH more leeway.

What if Pelini had won a B1G championship?  I think that buys him at least one sub-7-win season in the following few years, as long as he keeps recruiting decently.

I mean, it definitely comes down to wins.  I'm just saying the expectations for an exact # of wins will always vary IMO.

Just now, TGHusker said:

Yes, I was going to say that but I wanted some hope of not going down that dark road - so I drank some :koolaid2: and gave the toss up game to NU.  But in my gut.....:(

Watching Purdue play I commented that I honestly fear for Lee's life.

The number of games Riley is allowed to coach could be decided by player safety considerations. I'm joking. I think.

I don't get all the fawning over the team with the big drum.  Louisville has only held Kent State below 4 touchdowns.  Missouri is in shambles.  Ohio only has decent stats against the run so far (and, like with us, that likely has something to do with how easy it has been for teams to pass on the Bobcats).  Michigan did what you expected them to at Ross-Ade or whatever that place is called now.  Lucas Oil?  All I know is Michigan only allowed them ten yards of offense in the second half there last Saturday.

I'm not saying I look at the Purdue game as a win for us (the way we've played so far) but it's not like they're Ohio State.  They've put up good passing numbers for a B1G school but not rushing ones.  Their defensive stats aren't that much better than ours overall...though they've been getting (forcing?) a lot of fumbles.

1 minute ago, beorach said:

I don't get all the fawning over the team with the big drum.  Louisville has only held Kent State below 4 touchdowns.  Missouri is in shambles.  Ohio only has decent stats against the run so far (and, like with us, that likely has something to do with how easy it has been for teams to pass on the Bobcats).  Michigan did what you expected them to at Ross-Ade or whatever that place is called now.  Lucas Oil?  All I know is Michigan only allowed them ten yards of offense in the second half there last Saturday.

I'm not saying I look at the Purdue game as a win for us (the way we've played so far) but it's not like they're Ohio State.  They've put up good passing numbers for a B1G school but not rushing ones.  Their defensive stats aren't that much better than ours overall...though they've been getting (forcing?) a lot of fumbles.

They have a better coach and a DC that will bring pressure...we have a a QB that is scared of pressure.

21 minutes ago, teachercd said:

They have a better coach and a DC that will bring pressure...we have a a QB that is scared of pressure.

I acknowledged that it looks like a loss now so I'm not sure what the argument is.  I'm just saying we shouldn't put the Boilermakers on a pedestal.  That fans can't even hope for improvement from our guys is another matter.  If we don't see much, I've shared that I'll be thrilled with five wins.  I.e., my rose-colored glasses aren't as thick as you're implying.  p.s. - Purdue sacked the QB five times this season in total with four of those coming in their last game.  Their numbers against the pass have been average so far but they've played a tougher schedule than our guys have.