Is Mike Riley married to Tanner Lee

Huskerfan55

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think the coaches are afraid to sit down Lee (even for a series or two) because they don't want him to lose his confidence and they think of him as a team leader (he is a captain this year).  However, if there are more pick sixes and more turnovers deep in your own territory, the defense is going to start getting pissed at Lee, and that's not going to help things.

So leading the nation in interceptions, throwing three pick sixes in 6 quarters doesn't shake his confidence, but having him watch from the sidelines for a series or two would?  That makes no sense to me.  I think (and everyone knows I'm a freaking expert based on my limited high school playing days 40 years ago) that Riley ought to lay it out tomorrow like this:  Lee will start the first quarter.  POB will start the first two drives of the second quarter.  Adjustments will be made from there.  Putting it out there before the game should eliminate some of the "being yanked out after a bad play" fears.

• Plus1 2

16 minutes ago, skersfan said:

I remember the Texas Tech game where Coach Callahan put in a young player by the name of Beau Davis, I believe.  We were getting killed and he put this young kid in the game.  He was terrible, and never recovered from the damage done.  We may have something like that.  I know that Coach Callahan did not want to put the #2 in, but the fans kept screaming for it.  Our back ups, may just not be as good as we think.

But I do agree, if the kid is able to play, as we were told, he should have seen the field last weekend.  Don't understand the situation, but don't know all sides either.

But Callahan did that and his OC called ridiculous pass plays just to spite us. I never thought anything good about the guy until he stood up for Danny Woodhead.

If the back ups are that much worse.....then we are doing a horrible job of recruiting.  Lee has been awful the last 3 games.  I don't want to be overly critical of the kid but look at the #s the last 3 games.    He's been horrible.  We have absolutely no chance of winning games without a huge improvement or a change at qb.

3 hours ago, grandpasknee said:

That's where I'm at.  I don't really like to second guess the coaches, but even I thought Lee should watch from the sidelines for a series or two.  You don't have to permanently demote him all at once, but let him cool his heels a bit and watch.  It also gives your number 2 guy a few live game snaps for experience.  POB is one play away from being our starter.  Makes me scratch my head and say things like "dadgummit!"

by now, Lee should have watched enough film to see his errors..............guess not.

We are acquainted with a huge supporter of Tulane Athletics- a graduate, booster, attends everything, etc.  Hadn't seen him in a year or two and had a chance meeting this week on the jogging trail.  We talked and as we walked off he yelled back "hey you're from Nebraska you all got our QB.  Here's how he'll play out for you.  He's immobile, like a statue and lives off the pick six.  He left because we're re-placing the pro-style offense with the option and he's thinking he has a future in the NFL.  Although he lives in a fantasy world, he's a nice kid, nice see you again"  

Now this guy is stereotypical of all the upper crust down here in the Bayou land, a charismatic know-it all and loves the sound of his own voice.  He's not going to ask your opinion of anything (like-how's Lee working out for you?) he's going tell you.  Mostly I just roll my eyes at the conceit but regarding Lee he was spot on.  Personally, Lee has great mechanics and a bionic arm when practicing in isolations.  He would probably make a nice QB, if we had above average receivers and offensive line.  We have neither and we need to find someone that can move around a bit.  There are more than a few instances when there are 5-10 yards in front of him and if he just tucked the ball he could easily get 5+ yard and slide.  Yet he insists on forcing in to double/triple coverage or just cleaning throwing the ball to their secondary.  It's like he just can't process in real time.  

33 minutes ago, melscott62 said:

If the back ups are that much worse.....then we are doing a horrible job of recruiting.  Lee has been awful the last 3 games.  I don't want to be overly critical of the kid but look at the #s the last 3 games.    He's been horrible.  We have absolutely no chance of winning games without a huge improvement or a change at qb.

I doubt the backups are that much worse. This staff has shown too much loyalty to the starters at other positions as well. Until the starter goes down with injury then we've seen backups look better in some cases. 

I have no idea what they are doing with Lee. I get that they are probably trying to get him to work through some things but he's been such a liability you have to consider another option. Some guys are gamers and some guys are good practice players, you don't know with some guys until you get them out there in game action.

34 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

We are acquainted with a huge supporter of Tulane Athletics- a graduate, booster, attends everything, etc.  Hadn't seen him in a year or two and had a chance meeting this week on the jogging trail.  We talked and as we walked off he yelled back "hey you're from Nebraska you all got our QB.  Here's how he'll play out for you.  He's immobile, like a statue and lives off the pick six.  He left because we're re-placing the pro-style offense with the option and he's thinking he has a future in the NFL.  Although he lives in a fantasy world, he's a nice kid, nice see you again"  

Now this guy is stereotypical of all the upper crust down here in the Bayou land, a charismatic know-it all and loves the sound of his own voice.  He's not going to ask your opinion of anything (like-how's Lee working out for you?) he's going tell you.  Mostly I just roll my eyes at the conceit but regarding Lee he was spot on.  Personally, Lee has great mechanics and a bionic arm when practicing in isolations.  He would probably make a nice QB, if we had above average receivers and offensive line.  We have neither and we need to find someone that can move around a bit.  There are more than a few instances when there are 5-10 yards in front of him and if he just tucked the ball he could easily get 5+ yard and slide.  Yet he insists on forcing in to double/triple coverage or just cleaning throwing the ball to their secondary.  It's like he just can't process in real time.  

Mike'l Severe is a Louisiana native, and probably has a lot of connections down there still. He said on Big Red Wrap-up last week that in high school, Tulane, and now Nebraska, Lee is a 50% passer and throws a lot of interceptions. He throws a good ball, but real football isn't played in a t-shirt and shorts.

Lee gets scouts on his side with his size and his strong arm, but in 3 years as a starting QB he has shown who he is, a statue QB with a strong arm who makes bad decisions. 

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, Huskerfan55 said:

We have two other 4 star QB's on the bench and Riley continues to play a guy who is leading the country in interceptions.  Why?

I can't answer you and since I have no control over the situation, it's less frustrating to ponder such questions and go with the simplest answer:  the coaches believe one of the 4 star QBs wouldn't make the offense look better.  Once you do that it becomes easy to make some conclusions.  Given how bad Lee has performed and one of two 4 stars won't help, obviously their offense is bad and/or they don't know how to coach it.  I think this is reasonable to believe since it's year 3 so the "installing new offense" or "doesn't have the right personnel" excuse doesn't work.  Now before you go pounding your head against the wall trying to answer "Which is it, bad offense or bad coaching?" again go with the simple answer:  :dunno it doesn't matter, the end result will be the same.

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

My take is the coaches thought he was all-world because he has been going against our soft pass D in practice.  Last year he ran the scout team against Banker's D.  And in spring/fall camp he got to go against Diaco's D.  Both schemes having super soft coverage.  A reasonable accurate QB can easily hit WRs when the DBs play 8-10 yards off each snap. 

Exactly what I was thinking.  

Also, Coach Riley has said that the distance between Lee and O'Brien or Gebbia is "pretty wide".  So if that's accurate , we haven't seen anybody else because they don't have anybody else.  That's staggering.

1 minute ago, secretasianman said:

Also, Coach Riley has said that the distance between Lee and O'Brien or Gebbia is "pretty wide".  So if that's accurate , we haven't seen anybody else because they don't have anybody else.  That's staggering.

The same was insinuated about ozigbo.  Sometimes you have to try. 

• Plus1 3
6 hours ago, secretasianman said:

And Riley has been showing impeccable judgement?  I'm sure the gap is wide in practice, but it's been pretty well established Lee doesn't play as well as he practices. We'll never know what the gap is in an actual game situation if we don't see both guys.