Is Mike Riley married to Tanner Lee

Huskerfan55

He needs to be benched, I don't like hearing all of the booing and would love for that to stop, but I understand why folks are doing it. POB needs to be put in as the starter because 9 INT's through 12 quarters of football is terrible. You could argue that our two losses, for sure one, would've never happened had Tanner not been in or thrown those INT's. Obviously there is more to those losses than that, but still. We could've overcome those other mistakes against NIU maybe no Oregon, but we had a chance at the end of that game only for it to be thrown back to Oregon. He's scored more points for our opponents with INT's than he has for our team!

11 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Not playing our seond and third string players throughout the season has been our problem since about year 3 of Solich

To be fair this has been an ongoing philosophy in CFB for a decade or more now.  Reps are reps and reps=better play.  While that idea seems to be fading slowly you still see many games that are well in-hand with the #1's still playing.

14 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I guess because we remain mired in this win now or fire the coach mentality.

Were this another Bo type hire I think people would be defending him and hanging it on "he's learning".  Problem is MR was sold as the turnkey package, the guy that has all the talent and ability and was held back by the lack of facilities and money.  He was expected to hit the ground running, IMO the jury is still out on that although it is not looking good.

14 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Great point about Lee going against Banker's D last year while he ran the scout team.  Uncle Rico would look like an All-American going up against that D.

I think Hayseed was commenting about Keller starting for 9 games over Ganz in 2007.  It took a broken collarbone by Keller for Ganz to get the start that year.

9 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

The point I'm trying to make is maybe Pat O'Brien is Joe Ganz........but we'll never know because he never gets on the damn field.

Ok, I understand now.

I thought Lee was going to be much better. I think he has talent and it's frustrating when you see him do all of the right things one play then muck it all up the next. I am also concerned about the fact that preseason there was so much talk about his demeanor and about how he was a guy other guys gravitated towards but I'm not really seeing that.

I agree with one of our other posters who has said we won't see any change until after the OSU game because of the way our schedule goes. If he doesn't put things together by that time and has added to his INT count by more than 3 we HAVE TO try POB. He can't likely be worse and if he is then at least you gave it a go because we are getting D play from our QB at best right now and I think we could be pretty good this year if we could just get up to C+ 

19 minutes ago, Red Five said:

My take is the coaches thought he was all-world because he has been going against our soft pass D in practice.  Last year he ran the scout team against Banker's D.  And in spring/fall camp he got to go against Diaco's D.  Both schemes having super soft coverage.  A reasonable accurate QB can easily hit WRs when the DBs play 8-10 yards off each snap. 

Don't forget, though - the defense was largely considered to have been the better unit in fall camp this year. One player was even quoted as saying he thought the defense was going to surprise some people in a good way this season (paraphrasing).

My perception is more along the lines of practice vs live game situations. Assuming he did look very good in practices this off season, it's now either a confidence issue or he simply can't consistently handle the decision making pressure of a live game scenario. Regardless of the reasoning, I think the proof is in the pudding - Tanner Lee doesn't play very well.

I guess this thread is as good as any to show just how damaging Tanner Lee's 9 interceptions have been through just 4 games this year, in what is supposed to be the easiest third of the schedule. 

Against Oregon, Tanner threw interceptions that set up Oregon in plus territory 4 times. Oregon converted those 4 turnovers into 14 points, and missed a field goal. At the very best Lee's INTs gave Oregon a 14-point advantage (yes, the defense is responsible for that as well, but you can't give any team that kind of field advantage)

Against Northern Illinois, Tanner threw interceptions that set up Northern Illinois in plus territory 3 times. Two of those intercepted passes were returned for TDs. One of those pick 6s came as Nebraska was driving into the red zone. Taken together, Lee's INTs gave Northern Illinois a 17-point advantage (assuming Nebraska settles for a FG on the first drive in the game).

Against Rutgers, Tanner threw interceptions that set up Rutgers in plus territory 2 times. One of those intercepted passes was returned for a TD. The other INT led to a Rutgers field goal. Altogether, Lee's INTs gave Rutgers a 10-point advantage. 

Lee's INTs has gifted opponents a ridiculous 41 points this year, in just 3 games. 

• Plus1 5
52 minutes ago, Red Five said:

My take is the coaches thought he was all-world because he has been going against our soft pass D in practice.  Last year he ran the scout team against Banker's D.  And in spring/fall camp he got to go against Diaco's D.  Both schemes having super soft coverage.  A reasonable accurate QB can easily hit WRs when the DBs play 8-10 yards off each snap. 

So much this.  I'm sure we play like we practice.  No doubt he looks great in practice.  All the QB's we play look great.  

Now think about how POB might actually look in a game if Lee looks better....

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

So much this.  I'm sure we play like we practice.  No doubt he looks great in practice.  All the QB's we play look great.  

Now think about how POB might actually look in a game if Lee looks better....

I have considered that most recruits are overhyped. In the coach's defense, they don't write the sports columns.

6 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I have considered that most recruits are overhyped. In the coach's defense, they don't write the sports columns.

Ya, I don't recall our coaches talking him up. Which is why in my post I said "if" it was all true. Maybe it wasn't. But maybe he really did play great and now he doesn't.

And yes, it could've been that the defense he was facing is bad. But I still say you try the backup QB when your QB throws 2 pick 6's in the 1st half. That was much more baffling than not putting him in against Rutgers.

Just now, Moiraine said:

Ya, I don't recall our coaches talking him up. Which is why in my post I said "if" it was all true. Maybe it wasn't. But maybe he really did play great and now he doesn't.

And yes, it could've been that the defense he was facing is bad. But I still say you try the backup QB when your QB throws 2 pick 6's. That was much more baffling than not putting him in against Rutgers.

I agree with you completely. Heck, I say have three players fully prepared for every position and let them compete.

I remember the Texas Tech game where Coach Callahan put in a young player by the name of Beau Davis, I believe.  We were getting killed and he put this young kid in the game.  He was terrible, and never recovered from the damage done.  We may have something like that.  I know that Coach Callahan did not want to put the #2 in, but the fans kept screaming for it.  Our back ups, may just not be as good as we think.

But I do agree, if the kid is able to play, as we were told, he should have seen the field last weekend.  Don't understand the situation, but don't know all sides either.

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

Our offense in general is too predictable. We throw no wrinkles at the defense.  Every team we've played seems to have a really good idea what we're doing, sometimes based solely on alignment.  We can't seem to self-scout well enough to realize that and it's frustrating.

hmmmm  I wonder who is responsible for that.