As Purely Insane As It Sounds- We Control Our Own Destiny

seaofred92

7 hours ago, Huskerzoo said:

To be consistent, you have to drop the "I see no way for this team to win the West talk". We can cross that bridge when we get to it. The only hope that this team ever had was to grow throughout the season. The D is doing that it seems. The question has to be, how much do they grow. lets take it one game at a time and cross bridges as we get to them. 

The coach speak has literally pierced your skull and removed your ability to be rational and think for yourself.

Getting better alone isn't enough. It never is. The team is already behind. Most teams get better. The teams that are good right now that we play later on in the season are going to be better when we play them.

As the other poster had pointed out. We're fans. We can speculate all we want. That is half the fun of being a fan. "Cross that bridge when we get to it"... First off, that implies that we actually have any control over the situation. We don't. As a fan, it doesn't make one lick of difference if I only focus on the next game or if I try to string out the probability of us winning the national championship in 2047.

• Plus1 2

Just stop, guys.  Our team stinks.  Not even mentioning the coaching...

Our QB stinks.  He leads the nation in picks.  He is what I feared he'd be.  A Tulane castoff.     

Our running backs stink.  None of them have breakaway speed.  What's the longest rush we've had this season?

Our receivers stink as expected. 

Our tight ends stink as expected. 

Our line stinks even worse than expected.    

Our kicker has been ok.

On D. our line has been better than I expected.  Go Coach P.! 

Our linebackers stink as expected.  Slow of foot.  Slower to react. 

Our secondary stinks.  We're the worst pass D in the conference.  Bend don't break has something to do with this.    

Our punter has been inconsistent.   

Talk of winning the west is an unreasonable expectation.  It was unreasonable before the season started.  You guys, who are heartbroken, have nobody to blame but yourselves.  Watch the games.  Scream and moan all you want, but don't allow the games to dictate your mood all weekend.  We're not good.  We weren't going to be good.  The objective ones amongst us already knew that.  Many in the media told us that.   

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, HuskerMav11 said:

The coach speak has literally pierced your skull and removed your ability to be rational and think for yourself.

Getting better alone isn't enough. It never is. The team is already behind. Most teams get better. The teams that are good right now that we play later on in the season are going to be better when we play them.

As the other poster had pointed out. We're fans. We can speculate all we want. That is half the fun of being a fan. "Cross that bridge when we get to it"... First off, that implies that we actually have any control over the situation. We don't. As a fan, it doesn't make one lick of difference if I only focus on the next game or if I try to string out the probability of us winning the national championship in 2047.

You're going to want to slow down a bit. Attack the post, not the poster. This is an informal warning about a personal attack because I'm too lazy to report it. 

Every team develops, yes. However, not all teams develop at the same rate. Nebraska has six seniors at the top of the two deep including 2 TE and a FB. This is a team that has high potential to develop together in my opinion. 

Re: Crossing the bridge. The discussion was focused on future situations, in this case winning out and winning the west. However, the outcomes that lead to that are just as much in play (note that I'm not saying probable) as the outcomes that lead us to a coaching change. Branno was saying lets not talk about the outcome that seems less probable til we have to, I'm saying by that same logic we shouldn't talk about losing every game until we get there. I was not implying nor talking about anything about control or influence of us having conversations. 

On 9/25/2017 at 4:04 PM, seaofred92 said:

I know its been a hectic last few weeks since losing to Northern Illinois, and I've contributed to threads regarding the replacement of Riley and Co, but I feel the need to point this out:

We control our own destiny. 

The team overcame a lot to win last week, irregardless of the opponent. AD being fired, rumors the coach could be too, top 5 loss in the history of the program before all that, without our best offensive weapon and top 2 defensive players in addition to multiple other injuries. And then get into the game- Rutgers scores first possession, Lee throws a pick 6, and we're losing in the 3rd quarter. 

But you know what? The team found a way. And as horrible as it might be to watch the rest of the season, if they can keep finding ways to win then they still have all their goals in front of them. This week is at Illinois. If we are able to win on Friday we have an extra day of rest for Wisconsin in Lincoln under the lights. A place Nebraska hasn't lost at night since 2008. A place that Nebraska is 38-5 in all time at night. 

You win that one and all of a sudden you're 3-0. Atop the West alone. And your mindset changes. You get back your #1 safety. You get back your #1 WR. You get back your #1 corner. You can afford to lose a game to Ohio State and still control your destiny in the West. 

This team is talented. We need to get healthy. Clean a few things up and there is no reason this team can't still achieve their goals and win the West. One game at a time, find a way. This team has shown resolve in multiple games this year (Ark State, Oregon, Rutgers). If the team can come together and show resolve in these games and conditions, the fanbase can too. Support the boys and maybe lets drop the "who will replace Mike Riley" talk and cross that bridge when we get to it. 

Grasping on to what little hope remains for this goal, hats off to you. 

10 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Just stop, guys.  Our team stinks.  Not even mentioning the coaching...

Our QB stinks.  He leads the nation in picks.  He is what I feared he'd be.  A Tulane castoff.     

Our running backs stink.  None of them have breakaway speed.  What's the longest rush we've had this season?

Our receivers stink as expected. 

Our tight ends stink as expected. 

Our line stinks even worse than expected.    

Our kicker has been ok.

On D. our line has been better than I expected.  Go Coach P.! 

Our linebackers stink as expected.  Slow of foot.  Slower to react. 

Our secondary stinks.  We're the worst pass D in the conference.  Bend don't break has something to do with this.    

Our punter has been inconsistent.   

Talk of winning the west is an unreasonable expectation.  It was unreasonable before the season started.  You guys, who are heartbroken, have nobody to blame but yourselves.  Watch the games.  Scream and moan all you want, but don't allow the games to dictate your mood all weekend.  We're not good.  We weren't going to be good.  The objective ones amongst us already knew that.  Many in the media told us that.   

See your the guy who makes posts but never actually watches the game, our linebackers?!  They are just fine, our punter he is one of the best in the conference, how about you turn the message board off for a second and watch an actual play.  And people who know me here, understand I think Mike has the wrong attitude and could get out coached by a midget football team with his clock management skills.  So just stop with your turd ball analysis that literally is completely wrong.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, KingBlank said:

See your the guy who makes posts but never actually watches the game, our linebackers?!  They are just fine, our punter he is one of the best in the conference, how about you turn the message board off for a second and watch an actual play.  And people who know me here, understand I think Mike has the wrong attitude and could get out coached by a midget football team with his clock management skills.  So just stop with your turd ball analysis that literally is completely wrong.

I must not be watching the same games, because I would describe our linebackers' play as significantly less than fine.

• Plus1 1

I appreciate the optimism of the OP. Don't ever lose that! It makes up for all us other sinners who can only see the darker outcomes (such as myself). 

I learned the hard way after going 7-0 last year and then almost beating Wisky only to be spanked back to earth by OSU. One game at a time. 

The Illinois game is exciting because I think we can actually win it, it's gonna be hard once we get to Ohio State/Penn State etc. But I'll be there, whether it be 8-0 down the stretch or 0-8. 

• Plus1 1
20 hours ago, Huskerzoo said:

To be consistent, you have to drop the "I see no way for this team to win the West talk". We can cross that bridge when we get to it. The only hope that this team ever had was to grow throughout the season. The D is doing that it seems. The question has to be, how much do they grow. lets take it one game at a time and cross bridges as we get to them. 

To be consistent with what? The expectations and opinions of other fans? I've been consistent since before the season started, I didn't see this team getting more than 5 wins but I hoped we'd get 7. I hate that this is where the team is, but c'est la vie. 

I don't want to get into a whole thing, but I don't think the D has improved. Oregon took their foot off the gas in the second half, NIU was missing its starting QB, and Rutgers is Rutgers.

12 hours ago, Huskerzoo said:

Branno was saying lets not talk about the outcome that seems less probable til we have to, I'm saying by that same logic we shouldn't talk about losing every game until we get there. I was not implying nor talking about anything about control or influence of us having conversations. 

I wanted to respond to this specifically. This statement is false.

Already in this thread, I mentioned that I don't care WHAT people talk about. I was using the OP's OWN WORDS to make a point, that we shouldn't try to shut down discussion (which the OP was trying to do). Why you can't see that is beyond me. 

On 9/25/2017 at 5:33 PM, Branno said:

Dude, I literally took the OP's last sentence and turned it around on him. I don't care what people discuss but the point of this entire topic is telling people they shouldn't talk about replacing the coach and need to "support the boys". I guess your pet-peeves only apply to certain fans.

On 9/25/2017 at 5:04 PM, seaofred92 said:

Support the boys and maybe lets drop the "who will replace Mike Riley" talk and cross that bridge when we get to it. 

The only people you are calling out are those that don't share your opinion, at least that's what your actions show.

53 minutes ago, Edison's Enemy said:

I must not be watching the same games, because I would describe our linebackers' play as significantly less than fine.

I think Gifford has played very well.  Webber has been solid if unspectacular.  Newby and Young have been lacking.

Overall, has to b graded as average, which I agree would be less than fine.  But I think a lot of that is a scheme issue.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

I think Gifford has played very well.  Webber has been solid if unspectacular.  Newby and Young have been lacking.

Overall, has to b graded as average, which I agree would be less than fine.  But I think a lot of that is a scheme issue.

Gifford has been fantastic, the rest of the talent we have should be average to above average. I couldn't agree more that this is a scheme issue. It's the only explanation that makes any sense when it comes to the results on the field.