Riley, Diaco Dilemma

Hunter94

16 minutes ago, lo country said:

The D is improving.  Maybe the competition isn't, but no doubt we are seeing more stunts, blitzes etc....Diaco is also doing a great job developing depth by actually playing multiple guys.  Some of those guys, should, IMHO replace the starters.

We go 7-5, I think Riley is safe.  IF Riley is safe, I still think he cans Cav for sure and most likely Langs.  Might be a condition to keep the job.  Kind of Solich/Bohls/Darlington in 2002...

At the very least, he takes away play calling from DL next season.

1 hour ago, BoneyardHusker said:

True, but Riley being a nice guy and working with these guys for so long, usually at the end of peoples careers they value friendship and those relationships more then they do their job. Guy could ruin those friendships for maybe just one more or two more years of coaching before retiring. He may look at it to be more appealing to be retired in Key West, inviting his buddies down for some drinks and good stories.

Mark Banker says hello.

• Plus1 1

I've said it before but I don't there are any magic numbers (7 wins, 2 more losses, etc.) tied to Riley's prognosis. I think it is going to take exhibiting improvement AND doing something of substance such as winning the division, while not suffering any embarrassing blowouts.  And yes, it is beginning to be exciting to see what this Diaco defense can become. Diaco's future is highly dependent on Riley's and, if Riley gets the boot, then it is totally dependent on the new head coach and if he needs or wants a defensive change. If Bob does well enough he could survive a HC change.

If the defense continues to play well, but we lose games because of poor offensive performance, Diaco will stay even if Riley goes.  Most new coaches, unless they are married to a defensive scheme, would want to maintain some stability with the staff, and if the defense is trending in the right direction, then why mess up that trajectory.

Now there is a lot of football left to be played.  If Nebraska splits the next 2 games, I could very well seeing them end the season at 7-5 or 8-4.  Now at 8-4 they would have to have only 2 losses in conference play, and if they beat Wisconsin but lose to OSU and Penn State, that would give them a good chance of still winning the BIG West.  If they finish 7-5 and do not win the West, I think the new AD could make the case for Riley to go.  If they finish 6-6 or worse, I think it's a no brainer Riley is gone.

1 hour ago, bnilhome said:

If the defense continues to play well, but we lose games because of poor offensive performance, Diaco will stay even if Riley goes.  Most new coaches, unless they are married to a defensive scheme, would want to maintain some stability with the staff, and if the defense is trending in the right direction, then why mess up that trajectory.

Now there is a lot of football left to be played.  If Nebraska splits the next 2 games, I could very well seeing them end the season at 7-5 or 8-4.  Now at 8-4 they would have to have only 2 losses in conference play, and if they beat Wisconsin but lose to OSU and Penn State, that would give them a good chance of still winning the BIG West.  If they finish 7-5 and do not win the West, I think the new AD could make the case for Riley to go.  If they finish 6-6 or worse, I think it's a no brainer Riley is gone.

I watched some of the NW vs Badger game. Wisconsin looks beatable. I agree we need to split the next two games. Also, beat Iowa and come out at 7-5 or 8-4. Illinois didn't tell us much other than we are not worse team in he Big ten. Nice to see Lee gain some confidence. Hoping Diaco and the rest of the defensive staff remains if Riley goes. If they improve weekly on defense, then I agree he would likely be retained. 

3 hours ago, El Diaco said:

I've said it before but I don't there are any magic numbers (7 wins, 2 more losses, etc.) tied to Riley's prognosis. I think it is going to take exhibiting improvement AND doing something of substance such as winning the division, while not suffering any embarrassing blowouts.  And yes, it is beginning to be exciting to see what this Diaco defense can become. Diaco's future is highly dependent on Riley's and, if Riley gets the boot, then it is totally dependent on the new head coach and if he needs or wants a defensive change. If Bob does well enough he could survive a HC change.

This is true unless that HC is SF

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, HuskerMav11 said:

Throwing money at problems when you have money to throw at it typically does solve problems. When you consider that NU football generates over 30M/year in profit for the NU athletic department, it's probably smart to protect your golden goose.

So 20 mil a year for Saban?

Yeah. I would really like to see some staff continuity if Riley were to be fired.

If Diaco keeps this up, Id be pretty disappointed to lose him.

someone mentioned that Frost is basically married to his DC though. Perhaps he'd take a demotion to a position coach if he got a big enough raise? Ryan Held I believe? 

10 hours ago, Hunter94 said:

OK, i missed the game and Illy isn't any power house, but the D obviously showed up and did a great job.

Let's assume we lose 2 or 3 more games, but we are close and the D plays really tough. If we "can" Riley, there goes Diaco, as the new AD picks a new coach and he gets his own guys.

Could it be Diaco and his defense play well enough to give Riley another year or two?  Thoughts?

no and what would accomplish what?

Also that defense looks decent against the run but that is all

9 hours ago, MattyIce said:

TBH it sure feels like Riley is coaching to save his job right now. Finishing with 7 wins probably saves his job, as long as he fires Cav and probably DL.

If they win 8, it might be just cav.

If they win 9, no one is packing.

you can sure tell it has been a couple of weeks since NIU how quickly we forget

• Plus1 1
58 minutes ago, MattyIce said:

Yeah. I would really like to see some staff continuity if Riley were to be fired.

If Diaco keeps this up, Id be pretty disappointed to lose him.

someone mentioned that Frost is basically married to his DC though. Perhaps he'd take a demotion to a position coach if he got a big enough raise? Ryan Held I believe? 

His current DC runs a 3-4.  Was with Frost at Northern Iowa and Oregon.  Been with him a while.  Great resume as far as statistics at UCF and previous stops.

http://www.ucfknights.com/coaches.aspx?rc=920&path=football

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-ucf-erik-chinander-football-post.html