Potential HC candidates not named Frost

6 hours ago, timmytbro said:

Frost is the guy, this thread is so irrelevant. Like if we were in court I would object to this all day long on relevancy grounds. 

Points. John fox did not win a super bowl in Denver, lol, Von Miller and the rest of the Bronco D did.

Point 2. Whoever recommenced Josh McDHole, are you for real? who in their right mind drafts Tim Tebow in the first round?

Point 3. Nebraska has an identity, we are a smash mouth football school that cannot recruit five star kids at will. But what we have here is a recipe for success that unfortunately AD's have shoved in the back of the kitchen cabinet. Look at how bad Michigan was until Harbaugh came home. Nebraska is a sleeping power house that is waiting for the right chief to come in and put all the ingredients together.  Frost knows what it takes to win in Lincoln.  

My biggest issue with what has been going on for the last fifteen years is that we have had leadership who willfully choses to be blind to the fact that we have an identity. Steve pederson hired a west coast coach, that did not work, then shawn eichman comes in and hires a west coast coach. It was as if Eichorst had no clue that the west coast experiment already failed here.

Nebraska will not out recruit Ohio State, or Michigan. But we can run a niche system that utilizes the talent to the best of its ability. Every now and then we will get a phenomonal QB and he will take us to the promise land.

You bring up a really good point regarding recruiting & our ability to compete w/ the likes of OSU and Mich. on that front. The 'smash-mouth' identity point, holds some weight; as it is easier to form a consistently competitive program using that method without having the exceptional recruiting classes that other top programs seem to acquire year-in & year-out (Wisc. proved that, so did Mich. St. until fairly recently... even, Iowa is consistently competitive w/ the big boys in the B1G)

However; the (potential) flaw in this argument is Frost and whether he would bring that brand of football to Neb.

Frost first saw major success (as a coach) at Oregon, running the Spread Option attack. When he took over the play-calling reigns, he continued to use that attack. He is now at UCF, and he is still running a spread attack; that isn't exactly smash-mouth football; not as we know it.

Would he change his offensive scheme that he has been running for 5+ years now (with success) if he were brought in as HC? maybe? IDK. Like you said. He has seen first hand what has worked at NU in the past; but he has also seen a different scheme work effectively under his own tutelage.

If you watch Frost's offenses, it's a "power spread" so while he spreads the offense and defense out, it's definitely built on power. I am sure Frost is smart enough to be able to adapt his offense to the type of talent he would get at Nebraska and the opponents he would see in the Big Ten.  If you remember, Osborne started running power run game out of spread formations near the end of his tenure at NU. 

42 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Frost would get better recruits than he would at UCF here. You keep Diaco and the Williams and Williams and bring in new coaches for every other position. Frost would consistently get a top 10 dual threat qb every year with his offense at NU. This is what I want at NU anyways. 

Agree with you on Frost, not sold on Diaco yet. His D will have a lot to show the next few weeks. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Agree with you on Frost, not sold on Diaco yet. His D will have a lot to show the next few weeks. 

I completely agree with statement.  Diaco hasn't even been here long enough to know if he can recruit.  Right now, it starts with getting talent to the field first.  I know most think because we are Nebraska, we have talent, but I think our talent is limited and not program wide.

9 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

I completely agree with statement.  Diaco hasn't even been here long enough to know if he can recruit.  Right now, it starts with getting talent to the field first.  I know most think because we are Nebraska, we have talent, but I think our talent is limited and not program wide.

OC/DC's aren't often heavily involved in recruiting. Most of the work is done by position coaches.

• Plus1 1

Who ever the next coach is, they will have to recruit players for a system thats not in place right now.  West Coast offenses just don't work in the power 5 division.  Pro Style, maybe.  Spread option attacks will win games, but haven't won a playoff series yet.  I think you have to be able to play smashmouth football with some passing options.  Pro Style is probably the best fit.  Alabam runs a pro style offense, with pro style players!

Mobile Qb's still win in college football.  I don't like LSU and those coordinators.  They have sucked the life out of LSU already.  They can't produce a game plan to beat Troy.  How would they last here?  Schools have identities.  Nebraska and LSU are power football teams.  They win by running the ball and playing defense.  Simple isn't it?

11 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Who ever the next coach is, they will have to recruit players for a system thats not in place right now.  West Coast offenses just don't work in the power 5 division.  Pro Style, maybe.  Spread option attacks will win games, but haven't won a playoff series yet.  I think you have to be able to play smashmouth football with some passing options.  Pro Style is probably the best fit.  Alabam runs a pro style offense, with pro style players!

Mobile Qb's still win in college football.  I don't like LSU and those coordinators.  They have sucked the life out of LSU already.  They can't produce a game plan to beat Troy.  How would they last here?  Schools have identities.  Nebraska and LSU are power football teams.  They win by running the ball and playing defense.  Simple isn't it?

Ohio State is more spread than they are Pro-Style and they won in 2014. Clemson runs a spread with dual option QB, and they won last year. It helps that both teams had NFL talent all over the rosters, but even Bama has gone to a mobile QB to go with a power running game.  

• Plus1 2

23 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

I can't make much of your point. You realize we run a Pro style? We like to run out of big sets with multiple tight ends and a FB just like a lot of the teams in this conference. Our problem is we don't establish the run as consistently as other teams like Wisconsin and Iowa. When we do establish the run well in a game we tend to win. 

Edit: looking back through Rileys tenure thus far we are undefeated when we run for 200 yards or more. If we could do it more consistently, which I believe we could, I think we would be alot tougher to beat.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

LSU is screwed b/c their starting QB is a guy who couldn't hack it @ Purdue.  Also Orgeron is a total moron when it comes to head coaching so there is only so much his coordinators can do.  I still have no idea how LSU sucks so bad at recruiting and developing QBs.  

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

I can't make much of your point. You realize we run a Pro style? We like to run out of big sets with multiple tight ends and a FB just like a lot of the teams in this conference. Our problem is we don't establish the run as consistently as other teams like Wisconsin and Iowa. When we do establish the run well in a game we tend to win. 

Edit: looking back through Rileys tenure thus far we are undefeated when we run for 200 yards or more. If we could do it more consistently, which I believe we could, I think we would be alot tougher to beat.

Good post. Riley haters love to call his offense, whether they consider it West Coast or Pro Style, a finesse offense, but conveniently ignore the fact they love to use multiple tight ends, as well as the fullback. What's finesse about Ozigbo coming downhill? What was finesse about Bryant's 50 carries in the first seven quarters of the season? (Whether or not he should've had that many isn't part of this discussion.) What's finesse about them running their Csonka running play 31 times against Rutgers? If you want to argue the pass on the 3-yd line that was the pick 6 for NIU is finesse, fine. I'd counter only by saying that was an RPO, so the decision to throw that pass was on the QB. The option to run the ball was there, and I believe Riley addressed it in his press conference after the game. Yes, they could've called a run, as opposed to the RPO, but the players also need to be able to make good decisions, especially when that player is the QB, regardless of the offensive system. Ever seen an option QB make a bad decision about when to pitch it, or poorly execute the pitch? I have.

Riley has mentioned a stat very similar to the one you mentioned - teams in the BIG that rush for 200 yards and win the turnover battle win something like 90% of the time. I don't remember exactly what it was, but he talked about it in one of his Monday press conferences. Point being, he understands what wins in this conference, and as you mentioned they just need to do it more consistently.

• Plus1 1
21 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Paul Johnson would get my vote.  He has done well at Navy and at GT.  I think he could do even better at a better program with better resources overall.  Other wise, I m all in for Frost at this point.  Fuente won't leave VA Tech yet.  In case you haven't noticed the ACC is the 2nd best conference in football top to bottom right now.

Paul Johnson is 60 and in the twilight of his coaching career...trying to be desperate and go back to a winning formula from the 90s isnt going to help us at this point.  We only get one TO and that was it, and it is done, time to move on and look to the future...

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, bimmerman323i said:

Good post. Riley haters love to call his offense, whether they consider it West Coast or Pro Style, a finesse offense, but conveniently ignore the fact they love to use multiple tight ends, as well as the fullback. What's finesse about Ozigbo coming downhill? What was finesse about Bryant's 50 carries in the first seven quarters of the season? (Whether or not he should've had that many isn't part of this discussion.) What's finesse about them running their Csonka running play 31 times against Rutgers? If you want to argue the pass on the 3-yd line that was the pick 6 for NIU is finesse, fine. I'd counter only by saying that was an RPO, so the decision to throw that pass was on the QB. The option to run the ball was there, and I believe Riley addressed it in his press conference after the game. Yes, they could've called a run, as opposed to the RPO, but the players also need to be able to make good decisions, especially when that player is the QB, regardless of the offensive system. Ever seen an option QB make a bad decision about when to pitch it, or poorly execute the pitch? I have.

Riley has mentioned a stat very similar to the one you mentioned - teams in the BIG that rush for 200 yards and win the turnover battle win something like 90% of the time. I don't remember exactly what it was, but he talked about it in one of his Monday press conferences. Point being, he understands what wins in this conference, and as you mentioned they just need to do it more consistently.

Honestly I don;t know what the hell to call Riley and Langs offense besides a calamity on the gridiron. we haven't had a 1,000 yard rusher since Riley has been here. Not only that but go look at the Ohio State game when every call was a pass from ryker fife on a 20 yard go route. riley and Lans do not look like they have any idea what the want. I hear them say run, but everytime the run looks like it might get shut down on a series they completly abandon it and resort to passing.