Sexism - It's a Real Thing

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

Likely because they haven't had the cajones to edit and share anything with a male center stage.  Why not Schumer?  They are threatened by women and actively attempt to belittle them and harm their character and qualifications.

Whether people will admit it or not, there is already a bias against women in leadership, particularly in politics.  This just amplifies/works to confirm that bias.

Thanks for that perspective. I kind of assumed it was just more of Hillary being generally wrong about stuff, but I see what you're getting at here.

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

Likely because they haven't had the cajones to edit and share anything with a male center stage.  Why not Schumer?  They are threatened by women and actively attempt to belittle them and harm their character and qualifications.

Whether people will admit it or not, there is already a bias against women in leadership, particularly in politics.  This just amplifies/works to confirm that bias.

To me that's a stretch.

Pelosi is getting the brunt of things because she is the Speaker of the House and that's where impeachment is being discussed.

Schumer is a minority Senator now with a lot less power.

This seems like a situation where "sexist" was thrown out and it really doesn't stick.

Jimmy Kimmel does "Drunk Donald Trump" almost every night and he's never done that with a woman that I know of.  

People hate stuff until they like it. Then if it's inconvenient, they'll hate it again.

Republican traditionalists were delighted by Sarah Palin's hockey mom schtick, even though she was a train wreck of a mother and ambitious to the core. When it came time to hate Hillary, they went straight for the "dick-shriveling" playbook. In fairness, a lot of them hated Hillary in much the same way they hated Bill.

Sanders supporters were accused of misogyny for rejecting Hillary, but they would have taken Elizabeth Warren in a heartbeat. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

It has its roots in religion. My girlfriend has really been struggling with her faith because she has been discouraged from leadership from some religious friends. As we've done some digging there is a strong culture of this within religion despite the fact its a muddy subject at best in the bible. It's been an interesting journey.

Soooo interesting.  Im on the road for the next day or so but will come back to dog into that with you more.   

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

People hate stuff until they like it. Then if it's inconvenient, they'll hate it again.

Republican traditionalists were delighted by Sarah Palin's hockey mom schtick, even though she was a train wreck of a mother and ambitious to the core. When it came time to hate Hillary, they went straight for the "dick-shriveling" playbook. In fairness, a lot of them hated Hillary in much the same way they hated Bill.

Sanders supporters were accused of misogyny for rejecting Hillary, but they would have taken Elizabeth Warren in a heartbeat. 

So, when a reporter interviewing Palin was asking her what she reads, was that sexist because that question wasn't asked to her male counterpart?

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

To me that's a stretch.

Pelosi is getting the brunt of things because she is the Speaker of the House and that's where impeachment is being discussed.

Schumer is a minority Senator now with a lot less power.

This seems like a situation where "sexist" was thrown out and it really doesn't stick.

Jimmy Kimmel does "Drunk Donald Trump" almost every night and he's never done that with a woman that I know of.  

Hey - you asked.  

And a tv host making fun of the president is far different from a president and his staff and his tv station weaponizing something for advocacy and fundraising.  

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, when a reporter interviewing Palin was asking her what she reads, was that sexist because that question wasn't asked to her male counterpart?

As I recall it was a fellow woman interviewer -- Katie Couric? -- and she asked the question of Sarah Palin because she knew Palin was a lightweight and it would provide a "gothcha" moment.  I don't know if John McCain wasn't asked the same question, but it was asked of Donald Trump and he responded with "The Bible" and "Art of the Deal"

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

It has its roots in religion. My girlfriend has really been struggling with her faith because she has been discouraged from leadership from some religious friends. As we've done some digging there is a strong culture of this within religion despite the fact its a muddy subject at best in the bible. It's been an interesting journey.

You mean like when girls can't be altar servers because they will distract the boys?

13 minutes ago, jsneb83 said:

You mean like when girls can't be altar servers because they will distract the boys?

Something like that but also how women can't be preachers, aren't considered leaders in the household, discouraged from even leading a bible study. 

5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Something like that but also how women can't be preachers, aren't considered leaders in the household, discouraged from even leading a bible study. 

Women can't be Priests, but I haven't heard the rest mentioned in my church....since....well....sometime back in the 80s.  Not saying other churches aren't different.

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Women can't be Priests, but I haven't heard the rest mentioned in my church....since....well....sometime back in the 80s.  Not saying other churches aren't different.

This is the rhetoric my girlfriend is getting right now. At first she was very discouraged but I told her to do her own research and look at the Word for herself rather than others interpretations. She since that point has discovered alot of stories of women leading in the Bible and other scripture that conflicts with the notion women shouldn't lead. 

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

This is the rhetoric my girlfriend is getting right now. At first she was very discouraged but I told her to do her own research and look at the Word for herself rather than others interpretations. She since that point has discovered alot of stories of women leading in the Bible and other scripture that conflicts with the notion women shouldn't lead. 

YES!!!!!!

• Plus1 1