Sexism - It's a Real Thing

13 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Everywhere I look Ric is whining about people who have experienced things he is for whatever reason incapable of empathizing with, and therefore writes them off as BS, and then complains about women being confused, disgraceful, shrieking, wackadoo, and deranged, but most especially in a topic about sexism.

Have you ever once considered that, since you aren't a woman, you don't quite understand where women are coming from? You should try it, it might help.

When a minority tells me about an injustice they face, I almost always give them the benefit of the doubt, because I've never been in their shoes. And then I try to imagine being in their shoes. It's a good approach to take.

Try empathizing with a man for a change. Have you ever considered how grating these types of discussions are and how tiresome it gets to be blamed for stuff all the time? Do you have any idea how many annoying things women do constantly? One is constantly blaming men for everything. 

So how is it fine for women to complain about men spreading their legs on public transit (we do that because in warm weather our manparts need some air) or men doing them the courtesy if explaining things to them....but objectionable when a man points hiw annoying the incessant whining and complaining is?

How about simply living your life and not always looking for some reason to take offense at something or lose your mind over some perceived insult? Try it sometime. 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Try empathizing with a man for a change. Have you ever considered how grating these types of discussions are and how tiresome it gets to be blamed for stuff all the time? Do you have any idea how many annoying things women do constantly? One is constantly blaming men for everything. 

So how is it fine for women to complain about men spreading their legs on public transit (we do that because in warm weather our manparts need some air) or men doing them the courtesy if explaining things to them....but objectionable when a man points hiw annoying the incessant whining and complaining is?

How about simply living your life and not always looking for some reason to take offense at something or lose your mind over some perceived insult? Try it sometime. 

I was giving you advice for things you, specifically, do on this forum.

You are telling me not to do things I've never once done in my life. You are projecting the things you hate about women onto me. My post was specifically about what you post here.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I was giving you advice for things you, specifically, do on this forum.

You are telling me not to do things I've never once done in my life. You are projecting the things you hate about women onto me. My post was specifically about what you post here.

My post was generally about the endless and tiresome whining about men that many women engage in. It serves no purpose. 

In my posts that object to that sort of thing, I discuss particular women or groups of women. Not all women.

• Plus1 1

Funny thing about the manspreading outrage...

Viral video of feminist pouring bleach on manspreaders debunked as Russian propaganda

When a video of a Russian woman pouring bleach on male commuters came across Mashable.com video producer and reporter Nikolay Nikolov's desk, he was immediately suspicious and advised his colleagues not to publish it.

It turned out to be the right instinct.

The video — which shows activist Anna Dovgalyuk squirting what she claims is diluted bleach onto the crotches of men who spread their legs on public transit — appears to be Russian anti-feminist propaganda.

EU versus Disinformation, a site that debunks pro-Kremlin disinformation, reported that the video was originally published by In The Now, an English-language social media channel owned by the Kremlin-funded Russia Today. The group declined an interview, citing a need to protect the anonymity of its researchers.

Would anyone like to guess whether more generally conservative leaning or more liberal leaning news outlets and citizens took the bait and turned this into a big story?

manspreading-viral-video-google-results.

russian-manspreading-video-western-media

• 2 weeks later...

This, apparently, has been going on for years.  What the heck?

Despite complaints, a Utah high school held Men’s Week again this year. But ‘thoughtless’ banners have ended the event for good.

“Enter if you believe MEN are the superior gender.”

That was the message on a banner hanging over a hallway Monday at Snow Canyon High School in St. George, announcing an annual celebration called Men’s Week.

In 2017, students were greeted by signs that read, “All men are created equal” and “What’s a woman’s point of view? The kitchen window.”

After multiple years of objections from students and parents, the high school has agreed to end its annual Battle of the Sexes activities and cancel this year’s Women’s Week, set for February.

“Obviously this is something that should never take place, and we’ve had a discussion with the administration to make that clear,” said Washington County School District spokesman Steve Dunham. “In today’s climate, it’s just not acceptable. We need to be looking at ways we can be bringing people together, not trying to show the superiority of one group over another.”

But some parents say the school for years has ignored complaints that the Battle of the Sexes promoted sexist tropes and hostility between students.

• Haha 1
  • 3 months later...

5 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

My mouth literally dropped open.

How could an adult in today's day & age think that was in any way appropriate?

This seems like something that the girls would do at their own end of the year party, you know what I mean?

Not the coaches doing it.

• Plus1 2
  • 2 months later...

As far as personal preference I more or less agree with the first one (although I only wish that bad women commentators wouldn't commentate - there are some good ones but they're overshadowed by the Doris Burke's of the world). The second one, f#&% off dude that's disgusting and ridiculous. The third one, idk what the travesty of the first part means, but I guess I would agree that someone like Maya Moore or Candace Parker should not make as much as Lebron James and is not worth as much. A lot of reasons that make that the case though, some legitimate and some not.

All in all despite the individual points that guys revealing himself to be an outdated creep.

Not to put words in your mouth landlord, but maybe to do so, and try to give you the benefit of the doubt.  I'd argue what you tried to express is that you prefer to listen to announcers that know what they're doing and are talented.  It has nothing to do with their genitalia.

And if there was a WNBA that drew as much audience and revenue as the NBA then the gals who play better damn well be compensated like the men.  Perhaps a better example of this is the following of womens soccer vs mens soccer and the difference in earnings which has been a very public battle the last few years.  Here's a group that performs better than the men and is paid ridiculously less for the work.

http://money.com/money/4277843/us-womens-soccer-equal-pay/

• Thanks 1

Pay equality in something like basketball players is not as cut and dry as it seems. You can’t look at a player and say “she’s a pro basketball player so she should be making the same as the men”. The revenue the two leagues produce are no where close to the same. 

It it would be interesting to see what the revenue is like for the men’s and women’s soccer teams. 

Im assuming it’s much closer than men’s and women’s basketball. 

Ya. The guy is an a$$h@!e and he shouldn’t have a platform to spew his bulls#!t, nor should he get the position Trump is nominating him for.

But female athletes should not get equal pay with male athletes until their sport(s) make as much $ as their male counterparts’ sports. I don’t very often think the fight for equal rights goes overboard, but this is one case where it does.

I don’t like watching female sports except when it’s a sport where the women are, or have to be, more skilled at the sport. And there aren’t many of those. Men are bigger/stronger/faster and when I watch sports I want to watch the people who are best at it. I think volleyball is one of the sports where women are better skilled, because the men are more able to just power the ball to the floor more often, whereas women need to use more finesse and skill, and it makes for a more enjoyable game.

But I have no interest in watching women play basketball/softball/football/soccer. I absolutely think $ should be spent so women have as much opportunity to play in high school and college sports as men, but when it comes to pro, they should be paid based on how much & the sport is bringing in. 

I found this little gem though, and I obviously don’t think this is right either:

But from the standpoint of equality, Kessler argues that women should be paid the same as the men irrespective of revenues. He cites the same argument used on behalf of men in figure skating, where the women produce more revenue than the men but prize money is distributed equally to “do the right thing” according to those in charge (SI.com verified Kessler's facts with figure-skating authorities).

Also, the article says from 2014-2017 the revenue gap was very small, I assume smaller than the pay gap, which also isn’t right. And that small gap will likely continue to be the case because the men’s team isn’t going to be winning World Cups and the women’s team might win more.

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/04/06/uswnt-us-soccer-wage-discrimination-revenue-unequal-pay

• Plus1 1
57 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Pay equality in something like basketball players is not as cut and dry as it seems. You can’t look at a player and say “she’s a pro basketball player so she should be making the same as the men”. The revenue the two leagues produce are no where close to the same. 

It it would be interesting to see what the revenue is like for the men’s and women’s soccer teams. 

Im assuming it’s much closer than men’s and women’s basketball. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/world-cup/equal-pay-womens-world-cup-players-seriously

There is a big difference in the revenue available to pay the teams:

"This years figures have not been released, but four years ago the Women's World Cup brought in almost $73 million. The 2010 Men's World Cup in South Africa made almost $4 billion. Those players got $348 million, or 9 percent of the total revenue. The women's team got a higher percentage with 13 percent, but the bottom line was still much less, $10 million."

There were a lot of articles, this was the first one I found.  I'm sure there are more current numbers available, but that is a heck of a gap to close in 8-10 years...