Scott Frost is the next Tom Osborne

jessica0

On 10/11/2017 at 8:19 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think you're the guy who said Nebraska is millions of light years from contention with no warp drive, so surely you understand it will take several Earth lifetimes before anything good can happen.

Hey Guy long time no pontificate, we are currently that far but the right person just might bring a hyper drive with him

• Plus1 1
23 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

I think most people would be happy with Frost as our head coach but are suggesting we tamp down the hype somewhat. Regardless of his resume he is still inexperienced as a head coach and that warrants some caution. Not to say he won't do great here but you can't expect everyone to think his success will automatically translate to Nebraska. He would likely do a great job here but it would also come with its fair share of unexpected bumps, so it's best we don't give him too much credit before he's earned it. 

well alot of people her give mike credit and he hasn't earned jack

Image result for bill brasky

Did I ever tell you about the time I went horseback riding with FROST, but there weren’t any horses around? Well, FROST throws a saddle on my back and rides me around Wyoming for three days. Well, wouldn’t you know it, my stamina increases with each day and I develop tremendous leg muscles. So anyway, FROST decides to enter me in the Breeders’ Cup, right, under the name Turkish Delight. And I’m running in second place, and I’m running and I break my ankle! They’re about to shoot me. Then someone from the crowd yells out, God bless him, ‘Don’t shoot him, he’s a human.'”

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Image result for bill brasky

Did I ever tell you about the time I went horseback riding with FROST, but there weren’t any horses around? Well, FROST throws a saddle on my back and rides me around Wyoming for three days. Well, wouldn’t you know it, my stamina increases with each day and I develop tremendous leg muscles. So anyway, FROST decides to enter me in the Breeders’ Cup, right, under the name Turkish Delight. And I’m running in second place, and I’m running and I break my ankle! They’re about to shoot me. Then someone from the crowd yells out, God bless him, ‘Don’t shoot him, he’s a human.'”

WTH?  That was you?  I was at the race!

1 minute ago, lo country said:

Haha.  You are making me LOL.  Thanks. Yet another reason to read through he threads.  Rough season or not.

I do what I can.  It's been a rough season and I fear it's going to get rougher.  There's been so much hostility on the board lately that I hope a little humor can help things out.

• Plus1 1

I posted this on another thread in rumorville but applies here also:

Frost and Shaw are my top 2 choices wt the Navy coach not far behind. I think any coach worth their salt would love to be the coach responsible for returning a traditional power back to being that power.   I think  that is what is overlooked in these discussions. Coaches by their very nature are deeply competitive (except smiling MR doesn't appear that way on the side lines at times) and they don't shy away from challenges - at least the young ones don't shy from them.   Some think Scott won't take the job because recruiting is so easy in Florida and golf time is so plentiful - (you can recruit and golf all in the same day!).  However, that casts a negative shadow on the typical great coach personality type - driven by challenge.  Challenge is the only way we can grow as individuals.  Scott is too young not to desire to grow.  Maybe Stoops (very successful) and Mike Riley (content wt status quo) have reached that threshold where they can rest on their laurels but not Frost.  18 years ago a company offered me 2 positions - one in a functional area I had mastered and had been in for many years and one in a functional area that I knew a small bit about but would have been a huge challenge - and the previous manager had driven off most of the staff in that functional area.  I chose the most challenging position and the one that forced me to grow.  Because of it, some 18 years later, I've become a recognized professional in the field as our trade organizations has used me to train others and used my insight in articles in their trade publications.  This isn't to lift me up  but to say by example that we grow by taking on challenging roles and stretching ourselves to be better and do better in more difficult situations.  I have to believe that Frost could see the challenge of the situation as a greater motivation than having easy recruiting and golf nearby.  He is a driver - he's taken on the challenge of UCF and is winning that challenge.  Perhaps he will see the challenge of NU and also the reward of turning around a program that had rewarded him during his playing days.

• Plus1 1

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:33 PM, Nebfanatic said:

If it means Frost instead of Bielima yes 

To elaborate, I don't agree with the sentiment anyone would be better than Riley after this year. If we can't hire a quality coach I think we would be better off waiting until next year. We need to get it right this time when we make a change. 

I gotta agree with this.  When I see people throw names out like Bert, Dan Mullen, etc.; I can't stop thinking that we might as well just stick with Riley.  If we don't get it right this time, I'm not sure we ever will.  However, I think if we don't get Frost by the end of this season then we never will.  I'm in the camp of Frost of bust.  If Frost wants to stick around UCF another year, then we should stick with Riley another year. 

5 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I gotta agree with this.  When I see people throw names out like Bert, Dan Mullen, etc.; I can't stop thinking that we might as well just stick with Riley.  If we don't get it right this time, I'm not sure we ever will.  However, I think if we don't get Frost by the end of this season then we never will.  I'm in the camp of Frost of bust.  If Frost wants to stick around UCF another year, then we should stick with Riley another year. 

If Frost is not available, you rather have MR in 2018?  Who do you predict will be available after next year?  I like Frost, but cant buy into the notion that entire program is lost if he does not come here.  

16 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I posted this on another thread in rumorville but applies here also:

Frost and Shaw are my top 2 choices wt the Navy coach not far behind. I think any coach worth their salt would love to be the coach responsible for returning a traditional power back to being that power.   I think  that is what is overlooked in these discussions. Coaches by their very nature are deeply competitive (except smiling MR doesn't appear that way on the side lines at times) and they don't shy away from challenges - at least the young ones don't shy from them.   Some think Scott won't take the job because recruiting is so easy in Florida and golf time is so plentiful - (you can recruit and golf all in the same day!).  However, that casts a negative shadow on the typical great coach personality type - driven by challenge.  Challenge is the only way we can grow as individuals.  Scott is too young not to desire to grow.  Maybe Stoops (very successful) and Mike Riley (content wt status quo) have reached that threshold where they can rest on their laurels but not Frost.  18 years ago a company offered me 2 positions - one in a functional area I had mastered and had been in for many years and one in a functional area that I knew a small bit about but would have been a huge challenge - and the previous manager had driven off most of the staff in that functional area.  I chose the most challenging position and the one that forced me to grow.  Because of it, some 18 years later, I've become a recognized professional in the field as our trade organizations has used me to train others and used my insight in articles in their trade publications.  This isn't to lift me up  but to say by example that we grow by taking on challenging roles and stretching ourselves to be better and do better in more difficult situations.  I have to believe that Frost could see the challenge of the situation as a greater motivation than having easy recruiting and golf nearby.  He is a driver - he's taken on the challenge of UCF and is winning that challenge.  Perhaps he will see the challenge of NU and also the reward of turning around a program that had rewarded him during his playing days.

To the bolded:  depends on the coach.  Urban Meyer is regarded as one of the absolute best, yet he did this exact thing.  Notre Dame came begging him on their hands and knees.  He took the Florida job where the roster was completely stacked with talent.  Steve Pederson might also beg to differ unless you think Bill Callahan was his number one all along.  Coordinators like what Bo was might not shy away, but other head coaches do seem to be a bit choosier. 

3 minutes ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

If Frost is not available, you rather have MR in 2018?  Who do you predict will be available after next year?  I like Frost, but cant buy into the notion that entire program is lost if he does not come here.  

While I realize I'm in the minority, I am of the belief that the program that I once knew is lost if he doesn't come here.  We've been floundering around for long enough now, that we're beginning to run out of arrows to shoot at the problem.  One of the last things we have left that hasn't been tried is making our next head coach the highest paid head coach.  We'll soon find out how well that worked for Michigan. 

It's not that I believe Frost will come in here and have us winning championships in the next three to five years.  It's more that I believe Frost will come in here and bring something we've been missing for the better part of two decades:  toughness.  Bo's teams might have showed physical toughness, but they lacked mental toughness.  Even Solich's last couple of seasons, we seemed to lose our toughness.  This is what I want brought back, and this is what I think Frost brings to us.

I think you gain toughness by competition.   Nebraska had it years ago with the walk on program.  Kids today seem to quit at the slightest bit of turmoil, see the abundance of threads talking about giving up, not buying tickets, not going to games.  It is a developed trait.  We were spoiled, and when it went away, some just don't want to put in the effort.

Today's kids are about what can you do for me, not what can I do for you/program.   But with competition with in a squad, you see improvement of that attitude.   That is why the recruiting is so important.  Not just about stars or elite talent, but guts, drive, fortitude, loyalty.   When you have those type of people, you grow, and it can be instilled in others.  See Marine Recon, Navy Seals, Army Green Beret.  It is not about striving to be the best in the group, but making the group the best by everyone's best efforts.  You are only as strong as your weakest member.

So who ever gets the job, or even Mike keeping his.  It is going to take time.   I think Coach Riley has the right idea, but has not performed to the level that many demand.  I think he is bringing in the type of kids that will do the job, whether he is the coach or not.  We as a group just need to be careful not to drive them away.   I do believe if Coach Riley is let go, he will work very hard to make the next coaches life as easy as possible.  I do not think he would ever try to poison the water.  He may not be a Nebraskan, but he does understand how important our football team is to Nebraska.  

My guess is if he asked to leave, he will do so and he will work out a better settlement for Nebraska.  I don't think taking this job was about money, it was a quest, and if he fails.  He won't blame Nebraska for it. JMHO.