Scott Frost is the next Tom Osborne

jessica0

9 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

That's just my frustration of stuff I read about people not understanding why people want Frost. I have been watching Frost since he became the OC at Oregon and I have been impressed the entire time.

Some, including me,advocated taking time and not falling hopelessly in love with a single candidate.  All is not lost if Frost is not hired AND after a quick strike hire last time due diligence is prudent.  Is SF having a good season?  Absolutely!  Is winning a few games against poor competition a reason to label someone as the second coming to a true legend in the sport?  He is certainly a top candidate but lets not say people don't want him because they want to keep all options open.  That might be necessary even if he is the number one choice.  

4 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

That's just my frustration of stuff I read about people not understanding why people want Frost. I have been watching Frost since he became the OC at Oregon and I have been impressed the entire time. 

I think most people would be happy with Frost as our head coach but are suggesting we tamp down the hype somewhat. Regardless of his resume he is still inexperienced as a head coach and that warrants some caution. Not to say he won't do great here but you can't expect everyone to think his success will automatically translate to Nebraska. He would likely do a great job here but it would also come with its fair share of unexpected bumps, so it's best we don't give him too much credit before he's earned it. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, HuskerPowerVA said:
15 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

Some, including me,advocated taking time and not falling hopelessly in love with a single candidate.  All is not lost if Frost is not hired AND after a quick strike hire last time due diligence is prudent.  Is SF having a good season?  Absolutely!  Is winning a few games against poor competition a reason to label someone as the second coming to a true legend in the sport?  He is certainly a top candidate but lets not say people don't want him because they want to keep all options open.  That might be necessary even if he is the number one choice.  

Bingo. 

We need to do our due diligence and make sure we truly hire the best coach. There is a good chance it could be Frost. However, declaring him the the savior is premature, especially considering many fans have had issues with a spread offense like his in the past.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, skersfan said:

I see a lot of the selling points for Scott Frost, but can Scott Frost see past the warts of Nebraska.  I don't think he is going anywhere this year.  He said he wanted to finish his job at UCF.  

Because what Coach is going to say I’m just trying to win games so I can go somewhere better?

• Plus1 1

53 minutes ago, skersfan said:

I see a lot of the selling points for Scott Frost, but can Scott Frost see past the warts of Nebraska.  I don't think he is going anywhere this year.  He said he wanted to finish his job at UCF.  

I think Frost would understand the warts and challenges at Nebraska as well as anyone.  He witnessed getting booed at home while playing... UCF in '97.

5 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

No offense to you but I didn't really comprehend your post very well at all.

As far as my question I was just thinking if we wanted Frost so bad and he was staying put for 2018 it may be prudent to keep Riley so we can try and hire Frost at the end of 2018. In that scenario if we fire Riley at the end of this year, Frost may never come to Nebraska. Not that that is necessarily a problem if we hire a home run, but if the home run isn't out there it puts us in a bit of a predicament.

Sorry, after rereading my post I hardly understand it.

When you asked ‘what should we do’ I was thinking they will do whatever they want and the media will try to sell it like they always do regardless of what I think.

To your question, I wouldn’t fire anyone without knowing we have the guy we want. That’s been the problem in the past that we get hotheaded about firing someone then get stuck with the fourth choice.

As far as Frost goes, I think he’ll come this year or not at all and I have a hunch he will come if offered.

Sorry for the confusion, it made a lot more sense in my head.

• Plus1 1

Really depends on what he wants.  Return to glory for Nebraska, if it is possible.  A lot of work, we all know that.  It would not happen overnight.

Major programs are going to be coming open this year,  Tennessee, Texas A&M, Ole Miss possibly.  Rising star, easy recruiting in any of those compared to Nebraska.

Boos at Nebraska were during a game.  Today if you aren't doing great, they are continuous from message boards.   How long would he get to turn this into what some demand.

I read one post that said he should be able to be competitive with Ohio State in two years.  Pretty high demands, is the pressure worth the payoff.  

Our only hope of getting Coach Frost is his loyalty to Coach Osborne.   Would Coach Osborne advise jumping into the fire.  They are pretty close.

Not saying he shouldn't come, or wouldn't, but where will some be if he says no?   Make the complete search, if he is the best and wants the job so be it.

Not really going to worry about it.  I have no input into, just like the rest of you.  Wait and see is all we can do.   But page after page, thread after thread telling everyone how bad we are really is not doing anyone or Nebraska any good.   Just garbage on top of garbage.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, skersfan said:

Really depends on what he wants.  Return to glory for Nebraska, if it is possible.  A lot of work, we all know that.  It would not happen overnight.

Major programs are going to be coming open this year,  Tennessee, Texas A&M, Ole Miss possibly.  Rising star, easy recruiting in any of those compared to Nebraska.

Boos at Nebraska were during a game.  Today if you aren't doing great, they are continuous from message boards.   How long would he get to turn this into what some demand.

I read one post that said he should be able to be competitive with Ohio State in two years.  Pretty high demands, is the pressure worth the payoff.  

Our only hope of getting Coach Frost is his loyalty to Coach Osborne.   Would Coach Osborne advise jumping into the fire.  They are pretty close.

Not saying he shouldn't come, or wouldn't, but where will some be if he says no?   Make the complete search, if he is the best and wants the job so be it.

Not really going to worry about it.  I have no input into, just like the rest of you.  Wait and see is all we can do.   But page after page, thread after thread telling everyone how bad we are really is not doing anyone or Nebraska any good.   Just garbage on top of garbage.

Frost would get all of the time needed as long as the team is showing improvements. Any coach would. Bo got 7 years because his early years improved from the previous guy. He would have some talent to start things off with. The first goal is to beat Wisconsin. Then when the division. After that continue to build the program back up. 

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, skersfan said:

Great post... you really said it all.

In my opinion, if he says no then we move on, no hard feelings.

I’m disappointed that he wasn’t offered 3 years ago.

I hope he says yes.

5 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

If it means Frost instead of Bielima yes 

To elaborate, I don't agree with the sentiment anyone would be better than Riley after this year. If we can't hire a quality coach I think we would be better off waiting until next year. We need to get it right this time when we make a change. 

I dare ask what in the world can he right in year 4 that he hasn't in years1,2,and 3?  I would like some insight other than just stating lets wait.

I think y'all who are banking on this so called "great recruiting class" to arrive are being bullish!tted.  As soon as we lost to NIU, fired our AD, lost to Bucky Badger, and about to lose to Ohio St, this all signals the ship is sinking.  Those recruits that are loyal to Riley and this staff woudn't come here for next year.   The writing on the wall says, then next year he is fired!  Really, come on.  We didn't fire our AD, to keep the football coach for one more year.  This doesn't happen.  WE will keep firing losing HC's as long as it takes to find the winner!  At this point we have nothing left to lose. 

I keep reading suggestions(very few) but nonetheless, that we should give Riles one more year.  I haven't seen many valid points or points at all stating why?  Do we know for sure that Frost is the one we will hire?  Do we know we won't hire Frost?  I am assuming we do hire him, because right now, he is the best fit for this job .  He might not be the most experienced, the best candidate, or best recruiter, but I really think he is the best FIT.  It just makes sense.

• Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

Frost would get all of the time needed as long as the team is showing improvements. Any coach would. Bo got 7 years because his early years improved from the previous guy. He would have some talent to start things off with. The first goal is to beat Wisconsin. Then when the division. After that continue to build the program back up. 

I do think this is true 100%.  We gave Bo 7 years because he won right away, and he then faded pretty quickly.  Frost would have support.  Everyone knows that next year might be a hard one.  6-6 or 7-5 could be it.  Lets imagine Frost comes in and we go 8-4 and beat one of those East Div powerhouses?  Trending up in a massive fashion!  I think that is what were looking for.  No other coaches in this entire conference even felt threatened by Riley and his groupies.  None of them.  I would imagine that Frost will earn that respect quickly, if not already.  

It's telling that people are concerned Frost could turn us down for another big school like LSU or Tennessee.  After 2 seasons you would expect the concern to be whether or not he's even qualified to take a job like Nebraska.

Personally I think we have a leg up on those other schools and I'm not particularly worried about Frost refusing the job.

• Plus1 2
9 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

I dare ask what in the world can he right in year 4 that he hasn't in years1,2,and 3?  I would like some insight other than just stating lets wait.

I think y'all who are banking on this so called "great recruiting class" to arrive are being bullish!tted.  As soon as we lost to NIU, fired our AD, lost to Bucky Badger, and about to lose to Ohio St, this all signals the ship is sinking.  Those recruits that are loyal to Riley and this staff woudn't come here for next year.   The writing on the wall says, then next year he is fired!  Really, come on.  We didn't fire our AD, to keep the football coach for one more year.  This doesn't happen.  WE will keep firing losing HC's as long as it takes to find the winner!  At this point we have nothing left to lose. 

I keep reading suggestions(very few) but nonetheless, that we should give Riles one more year.  I haven't seen many valid points or points at all stating why?  Do we know for sure that Frost is the one we will hire?  Do we know we won't hire Frost?  I am assuming we do hire him, because right now, he is the best fit for this job .  He might not be the most experienced, the best candidate, or best recruiter, but I really think he is the best FIT.  It just makes sense.

Did you even read my post? I said what do we do if Frost says "sorry guys I'm staying at UCF for the 2018 season"? What do we do if our only alternative to Riley after this season isn't the guy we want? I'm just saying I would rather keep Riley then fire him for the sake of firing him if we don't have a good replacement lined up. It would make more sense to give Riley 2018 and try again for a great coach after that season then to get rid of Riley and bring in another coach who isn't much better. 

11 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Sorry, after rereading my post I hardly understand it.

When you asked ‘what should we do’ I was thinking they will do whatever they want and the media will try to sell it like they always do regardless of what I think.

To your question, I wouldn’t fire anyone without knowing we have the guy we want. That’s been the problem in the past that we get hotheaded about firing someone then get stuck with the fourth choice.

As far as Frost goes, I think he’ll come this year or not at all and I have a hunch he will come if offered.

Sorry for the confusion, it made a lot more sense in my head.

After you explained it more re reading it made much more sense lol thanks for the clarification