Racism - It's a real thing.

Why or when would a coward "in the closet" racist use the ok sign hand signal? They're a coward, what would that do for them? It's not a SUPER SECRET CODE that other racists will see and go, "ONE OF US! ONE OF US!" 

Even if they use it like in a picture or something, what does that... do? Does it make people more racist? Does it actively harm black and brown people? Does it bolster their ranks or convert people? 

14 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Why or when would a coward "in the closet" racist use the ok sign hand signal? They're a coward, what would that do for them? It's not a SUPER SECRET CODE that other racists will see and go, "ONE OF US! ONE OF US!" 

Even if they use it like in a picture or something, what does that... do? Does it make people more racist? Does it actively harm black and brown people? Does it bolster their ranks or convert people? 

:facepalm: why have any symbology for your ideology? 

1 minute ago, NM11046 said:

I think it builds a sense of community.  Emboldens others who thought they were a one off to know it's more normal than they thought, that others they know, and respect, or don't know believe similarly.  

That still doesn't really show me how coward scared individual racist people would ever use it publicly. I've only ever seen groups that are already known to be racists flaunt it. Has anyone seen Tom down the street flash a white power sign? 

3 minutes ago, Landlord said:

That still doesn't really show me how coward scared individual racist people would ever use it publicly. I've only ever seen groups that are already known to be racists flaunt it. Has anyone seen Tom down the street flash a white power sign? 

This logic is ridiculous. Only known racists can be racist and use racist symbols? 

All racists have outed themselves to the public. We know who all the racists and white supremacists are in our society already. There is no way for a person to use an ambiguous symbol as their first public act of racism or white supremacy, it's simple not possible.

4 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I guess I can't explain why a coward or a brave person would do anything.  But I think someone that feels alone and like they can't show their true colors or beliefs will feel more comfortable doing so if they see others doing it.  They may never do it themselves, but it certainly changes behavior and emboldens them.  

Also, I think people in a group are more likely to do something like this than a solo person - mob mentality.  Half those who do it don't know what it means or why they're doing it.

7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

All racists have outed themselves to the public. We know who all the racists and white supremacists are in our society already. There is no way for a person to use an ambiguous symbol as their first public act of racism or white supremacy, it's simple not possible.

If you believe this why are you posting all the stuff about the OK symbol outing closet racists? 

6 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

I guess I can't explain why a coward or a brave person would do anything.  But I think someone that feels alone and like they can't show their true colors or beliefs will feel more comfortable doing so if they see others doing it.  They may never do it themselves, but it certainly changes behavior and emboldens them.  

Also, I think people in a group are more likely to do something like this than a solo person - mob mentality.  Half those who do it don't know what it means or why they're doing it.

This is true.  We know that group think (check the space shuttle Challenger out for example) and mob mentality are very real.  

But since we know that, the real question is, what should the consequences be?  So, say you flash that Okay/Racist sign...what should the consequence be for that?  

I would love for white supremacists to start using/co-opting a 'throw the bones' symbol and a Go Big Red chant to see the way people would bend over backwards with a change of heart about the impact and importance (or lackthereof) of some tiny but loud nasty people trolling society with symbols.

• Fire 1
26 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Did I not lay the sarcasm on thick enough for you?

Oh...so you said/did one thing...but you meant another?

14 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I would love for white supremacists to start using/co-opting a 'throw the bones' symbol and a Go Big Red chant to see the way people would bend over backwards with a change of heart about the impact and importance (or lackthereof) of some tiny but loud nasty people trolling society with symbols.

This is actually an amazing comparison! 

11 hours ago, Landlord said:

There is a gang in California that uses the Nebraska logo as it's symbol. So that must mean that everyone who wears Nebraska gear is a gangster.