Racism - It's a real thing.

On 11/14/2022 at 12:43 PM, Ulty said:

This is kind of interesting...I would like to know more about what point this teacher was trying to make? Was this a white supremacy flex, directly to a group of black students? Was he trying (and failing) to make engage in a nuanced discussion about implicit bias? (which is a little too complex for a middle school classroom) What was the context of this conversation, how did this comment end up coming out?

I thought the same thing. My first reaction was "hey, give him points for honesty" and that seems to be his defense. 

It was more illuminating that the young black students he's addressing felt comfortable calling him out to his face, saying they lost respect for him. If further give and take conversation flushed out the deeply held racist beliefs we typically don't say out loud, it still counts as a teachable moment.

I'd be curious what the students thought about this guy before these comments. Maybe they did respect him. Maybe he was always a pompous d!(k, and that's why the phones came out to record him, knowing it could get him fired.

There are a lot of interesting conversations we're not having because the prevailing wisdom is to not open your mouth. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I thought the same thing. My first reaction was "hey, give him points for honesty" and that seems to be his defense. 

It was more illuminating that the young black students he's addressing felt comfortable calling him out to his face, saying they lost respect for him. If further give and take conversation flushed out the deeply held racist beliefs we typically don't say out loud, it still counts as a teachable moment.

I'd be curious what the students thought about this guy before these comments. Maybe they did respect him. Maybe he was always a pompous d!(k, and that's why the phones came out to record him, knowing it could get him fired.

There are a lot of interesting conversations we're not having because the prevailing wisdom is to not open your mouth. 

The word "interesting" is doing a lot of work here.

• 3 weeks later...

3 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Who in the world is Kathia Woods?  

Are we now to count anyone with a twitter account and a personal opinion as a indication of a cultural thought?

Yes.  Because that is how it starts.  One person voices a concern and others either follow and agree or they don't. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
16 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yes.  Because that is how it starts.  One person voices a concern and others either follow and agree or they don't. 

Yep.

One person makes a Tweet (possibly even a sarcastic one).  And then a media outlet tells hundreds of thousands, if not millions, that people should be mad at Hollywood.

Weird folks all around...

• TBH 1
  • 2 weeks later...

18 minutes ago, nic said:

Exercise is now rooted in white supremacy. Just keep digging. 

https://time.com/6242949/exercise-industry-white-supremacy/

It's a dumb headline.  

The article isn't saying that exercise was rooted out of racism.  It had a couple of sentences about how women were encouraged to be stronger to "have more white babies".

Now we both gave clicks to an article solely because of a misleading headline.  

At least I'm assuming you clicked on it and actually read it before bringing it here.

• Plus1 2