What is the BIG RED identity....Land of 10

Really good read IMO, about what's lacking at NU.  An identity.  Duh.

This quote alone makes me long for the days of old.  A style that would still win today....Makes me want to go run through a wall!

Physicality. Speed. Laterals. Power. Execution. Purpose. Rage. Absolute self-confidence.Quarterbacks you can’t tackle, tailbacks you can’t catch, centers you can’t shake, and defensive ends you can’t block. 

The N on Nebraska’s helmet was three-and-a-half hours of having your manhood tested, of having your resolve pounded into powder, then scattered to the four winds.

The N meant it was time to buckle your freaking chin straps. The N said, We’re invading your backyard and we’re bringing the whole dang state with us.

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/nebraska-cornhuskers-say-dont-want-wisconsin-big-red-identity

• Plus1 4

6 hours ago, brophog said:

Who cares.

This is backwards thinking. You play to win the game, your identity comes from doing something well.

It's an issue of winning solving everything, or better yet, just another way of saying this team isn't winning enough.

The lack of identity is what has us at 3-3.....And really irrelevant for the past 15 years.....

Without a definitive identity, a team is a rudderless ship.  Who do we recruit?  What scheme to we recruit for? Without and identity you start getting guys "who looked good on paper", but don't "fit" the identity.  Identity breeds buy in. You know what you are getting before you go in.  No buyers remorse on the part of staff or recruit.

What is our identity now?  What positive characteristics would describe us now?

24 minutes ago, lo country said:

The lack of identity is what has us at 3-3.....And really irrelevant for the past 15 years.....

Without a definitive identity, a team is a rudderless ship.  Who do we recruit?  What scheme to we recruit for? Without and identity you start getting guys "who looked good on paper", but don't "fit" the identity.  Identity breeds buy in. You know what you are getting before you go in.  No buyers remorse on the part of staff or recruit.

So you really don't think the staff knows what they are looking for in recruiting? This identity thing is blown way out of proportion imo. I think we have an identity, it's just not working out so well as far as on field results. Maybe we need to go out and get someone to give us a new identity or something but to say Riley is just here throwing players on a field with no vision or direction is a false narrative imo.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

So you really don't think the staff knows what they are looking for in recruiting? This identity thing is blown way out of proportion imo. I think we have an identity, it's just not working out so well as far as on field results. Maybe we need to go out and get someone to give us a new identity or something but to say Riley is just here throwing players on a field with no vision or direction is a false narrative imo.

Having an identity should be relatively easy to identify IMO.  Like Wisconsin, their offensive identity is power running and that's very clear.  So you say you think we have an identity, what do you think that is?

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Having an identity should be relatively easy to identify IMO.  Like Wisconsin, their offensive identity is power running and that's very clear.  So you say you think we have an identity, what do you think that is?

Inside zone and counters out of tight sets and deep PA shots on offense. Our identity might suck but wouldn't you say week to week what we are trying to do is basically the same? I think Riley knows what he wants to do and recruits to that. It hasn't been effective but I think he has a direction. 

9 hours ago, brophog said:

Who cares.

This is backwards thinking. You play to win the game, your identity comes from doing something well.

It's an issue of winning solving everything, or better yet, just another way of saying this team isn't winning enough.

+1. 

12 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Inside zone and counters out of tight sets and deep PA shots on offense. Our identity might suck but wouldn't you say week to week what we are trying to do is basically the same? I think Riley knows what he wants to do and recruits to that. It hasn't been effective but I think he has a direction. 

Agreed. If our tackles and tight ends were blocking well we'd be talking about how we run the power sets so well. How we resemble Shaw's stuff at Stanford, etc., etc. 

But there's bad coaching that leads to poor execution. There's poor play calling (which @Mavric has pointed out well many times) that contributes to failed scoring attempts. 

There is not a thing wrong with Riley's offense. Pining for the old days is not a bad thing but there's so much muddying the waters by our fan base over why things don't work when they're not working. 

• Plus1 2

Now if we want to make the argument that a power run offense is the best way to go based on factors such as:

-It's easier to recruit for

-It's cold here in November  

then I'm listening. And Wisconsin is a pretty shining example of someone who's doing it and overachieves. 

Scheme might be a problem on defense for us right now (probably too early to say for sure). But I don't think scheme is the problem on offense.

I think Michigan State has run similar offenses like we want to do now and has shown success. So it can be done. With that said, they have produced some very good QBs and what isn't talked about enough, DEFENSE. You have to be a run first defense in the B10, those are facts. A prevent 3-4 will never work. LB is lacking in the worst way this year, and we are now playing 4 of them instead of 3. It's also a lot easier to recruit a DT QB than finding a great pocket passer. 

PPG Offense under Riley

2015: 42nd 

2016: 79th 

2017: 77th 

PPG Defense under Riley

2015: 76th

2016: 34th

2017: 73rd 

Edited by BIG ERN

I don't think our offensive system or our defensive system as a whole are the issue.  I think our move to the 3-4 was a pretty good idea but it will take a couple of years to become a well oiled machine (need the right prospects for the system).  Offensively I think they style of offense is a good fit for us but this is where the issue arises.  We have a system that is poorly coached and is NOT physical at all.  Wisconsin... punch you in the mouth, Iowa.... punch you in the mouth, Michigan State... punch you in the mouth, Stanford... punch you in the mouth, etc.   

Our identity in reality is that we are relatively soft! 

Edited by BartonHusker
  • Plus1 1
4 hours ago, lo country said:

agree.   Frost or any HC not named Frost can come in here and create an identity (it doesn't have to be the triple option!).  Recruit towards that identity, Develop players towards it, Motivate towards it,  Game plan it and make game time adjustments accordingly.  You will have success in the long term -  What sets great college teams apart is that they execute that identity consistently with minimal errors - including penalties.  That is what set Tom's best teams apart - it didn't matter if they were playing a Florida and the Fun and Gun or a power team, or pro set team.  

The problem we have now is that we have suspect play calling - we aren't consistent and we have not developed the players to take advantage of MR's offensive strategy.  I think MR's Pro Set Style (not sure what it should be called) can be effective and does have some good features but we have been poor in execution - both by coaches and players.   Thus it ultimately falls on the coaches.  Preparation, development and motivation.

Edited by TGHusker