Tre Bryant

On 10/13/2017 at 4:55 PM, lo country said:

Said the same thing in another thread.  Appears he has acute tendonitis of his knee (think I read that somewhere).  He was limited in spring and fall and then ran a lot the first game.  Unsure if he truly separated himself from the pack at RB.  Regardless, knowing he had this issue, why would the staff think it would not be a factor in the season.  Odd.  Wish him the best.  Hopefully it will heal up and he can get the issues fixed up.  Health is more important than football...

Actually, we don't have a lot of options at running back.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:55 PM, Nebhawk said:

Poor coaching decision.  You don't need him on every down in the game if he has an arthritic knee.  You know going into a season he may not finish it.  Give your backs all a chance to learn the system equally.  If they were holding him back in fall practice, how can that be your proven #1 back?  Seems to me he looked the part, he must fit the part, kind of mentality.  If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck!

Our rb rotation has made zero sense in the Riley era. This year we topped it all by running a kid with a bad knee into the ground while two quality back-ups just rode pine.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Danimal said:

Our rb rotation has made zero sense in the Riley era. This year we topped it all by running a kid with a bad knee into the ground while two quality back-ups just rode pine.

Any positions rotation has made zero sense on this team. I wish I could see practice, because some of the stories (like certain receivers only practicing certain plays) make no real sense to me. At times it almost seems like they write the depth chart backwards. Year 3 and we seem to "discover" so many players like its year 1. That's an issue somewhere in there on how you organize practice, and it's such an issue across all positions in all areas.

• Plus1 1

I would certainly consider using a medical shirt at this point as it sounds like he has a chronic knee problem and that's unfortunate. Hopefully he comes back stronger but as for right now, we need him badly because it looks like the coaches have zero confidence in anyone else based on our running stats vs. Ohio State. If the plan is to be more run focused, I could support his return. If it's just to get a serviceable pass blocker in there to play the last 5 games of the regular season, forget it.

4 hours ago, FTW said:

I would certainly consider using a medical shirt at this point as it sounds like he has a chronic knee problem and that's unfortunate. Hopefully he comes back stronger but as for right now, we need him badly because it looks like the coaches have zero confidence in anyone else based on our running stats vs. Ohio State. If the plan is to be more run focused, I could support his return. If it's just to get a serviceable pass blocker in there to play the last 5 games of the regular season, forget it.

Definitely a tough call.  On one hand Bryant is probably really pushing to play and when he's healthy, he's easily Nebraska's best back.  On the other hand the coaching staff has a responsibility to protect the players, sometimes that's from themselves.  Selfishly, I hope he's held out for the rest of the year to recover and heal up.  I think we can all safely assume that any major postseason games are likely off the table.  A healthy Tre Bryant would be a nice stabilizing force in '18 and '19 (if he's able to get a medical RS).

9 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Definitely a tough call.  On one hand Bryant is probably really pushing to play and when he's healthy, he's easily Nebraska's best back.  On the other hand the coaching staff has a responsibility to protect the players, sometimes that's from themselves.  Selfishly, I hope he's held out for the rest of the year to recover and heal up.  I think we can all safely assume that any major postseason games are likely off the table.  A healthy Tre Bryant would be a nice stabilizing force in '18 and '19 (if he's able to get a medical RS).

He is only a sophmore, he would have '19 either way. 

On 10/13/2017 at 4:57 PM, Nebhawk said:

Thats what makes it questionable.  You know, then why push him over a limit of carry's?

Go back and read some articles from when Bryant first got here. Riley was totally gushing about Bryant, but it was all about his pass protection ability, not his ability to run the ball. That to me spoke volumes about how Riley really wanted to run his system - he'll give plenty of lip service to running the ball, but ultimately it's the passing game that really excites him, and to him the RB's most important job is to support that.

8 minutes ago, Warrior said:

Is that on a lack of RB's or a system issue.

It's both, but the system isn't built to rely on a great running back (at least Langsdorf's isn't).  His system is to try to run just well enough, so that it opens up the passing game.  Langsdorf has shown that he really doesn't like committing to a consistent run game.