** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

53 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

TN isn't easy to recruit to. It never has been since I started following college football decades ago. THey also play teams every year that have easier time to recruit - Florida, Georiga, Alabama...and that doesn't include crossovers like A&M.  

Here are Tennessee's Rivals team rankings since 2002 (4 different Head Coaches).

2018 – 7

2017 – 15

2016 – 15

2015 – 5

2014 – 5

2013 – 21

2012 – 17

2011 – 13

2010 – 9

2009 – 10

2008 – 35

2007 – 3

2006 – 23

2005 – 4

2004 – 11

2003 – 18

2002 – 2

That’s an average ranking of 12-13 in the nation, with only one year outside the Top 23.  I don’t think it is very hard to recruit to Tennessee unless Butch Jones, Derek Dooley, Lane Kiffin and Phillip Fulmer were just all world recruiters.

• Plus1 4

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

From the Chalk Talk above:

But what often happens is that offensive coordinators run so many different concepts in a game that they never really gain actionable intelligence about the defense.  Run 50 different concepts in a game and you’re gathering intelligence sometimes into the fourth quarter.  And even if you do gain that intelligence, you don’t have enough total plays to repeat a concept with a new wrinkle to take advantage of the defense before the cloc

HCT

Didn't Osborne basically run the exact same plays on the first possession of every game to see how the defense would react?

His description of what not to do describes Beck's grab bag offense.

18 minutes ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

Here are Tennessee's Rivals team rankings since 2002 (4 different Head Coaches).

2018 – 7

2017 – 15

2016 – 15

2015 – 5

2014 – 5

2013 – 21

2012 – 17

2011 – 13

2010 – 9

2009 – 10

2008 – 35

2007 – 3

2006 – 23

2005 – 4

2004 – 11

2003 – 18

2002 – 2

That’s an average ranking of 12-13 in the nation, with only one year outside the Top 23.  I don’t think it is very hard to recruit to Tennessee unless Butch Jones, Derek Dooley, Lane Kiffin and Phillip Fulmer were just all world recruiters.

Good research, +1.

That compilation is pretty much astounding. Imagine our program doing that...

17 minutes ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

2018 – 7

2017 – 15

2016 – 15

2015 – 5

2014 – 5

2013 – 21

2012 – 17

2011 – 13

2010 – 9

2009 – 10

2008 – 35

2007 – 3

2006 – 23

2005 – 4

2004 – 11

2003 – 18

2002 – 2

This just reaffirms what ADS said in another thread, jessica0 doesnt know what she/he is saying

• Plus1 6

3 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

His description of what not to do describes Beck's grab bag offense.

That's an interesting discussion point. I agree with what you're saying to a degree.

What I really liked about Beck's offense was the element of the power run melded with the zone read. There was a lot of outside running - Power tosses, jet sweeps, outside zones. I loved that.

Langsdorf's rushing concept is almost entirely limited to putting (often times) seven bodies on the line of scrimmage and running an inside zone where the I-Back has to basically just get lucky to find a hole in a huge mixing bowl of bodies. I'm sick of it. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Enhance said:

You didn't really answer the question. You sort of did. Can I understand that 'past résumé has a lot to do with it' means more coaches than just Frost who have a positive winning record and history of winning will be afforded the courtesy of getting time to build the program?

I can completely understand someone being skeptical of Riley based on his history. That's not my concern. My issue is people mentally preparing themselves for the very real possibility that Scott Frost may not be the next head coach here. It would be unfair to not afford that coach the same courtesy of having time to build.

It all depends on the next hire.  Callahan wasn't given the same amount of time as Bo.  Why?  Callahan had been a head coach before, so the expectations were higher sooner.  Riley isn't going to get the same amount of time as Bo either.  Why?  He's been a head coach many years also.  Bo was given even more time than Solich.  If we go out and hire Venebles, I'd venture to guess he'd get more time given the same exact results as if we went out and hired Dan Mullen. 

Is it fair to expect more from a seasoned head coach than it is a first time head coach?  I think it is.   

6 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

It all depends on the next hire.  Callahan wasn't given the same amount of time as Bo.  Why?  Callahan had been a head coach before, so the expectations were higher sooner.  Riley isn't going to get the same amount of time as Bo either.  Why?  He's been a head coach many years also.  Bo was given even more time than Solich.  If we go out and hire Venebles, I'd venture to guess he'd get more time given the same exact results as if we went out and hired Dan Mullen. 

Is it fair to expect more from a seasoned head coach than it is a first time head coach?  I think it is.   

Huh?  Callahan got canned after 2 losing seasons, just like Riley will get canned after his 2nd losing season.  Remind me how many losing seasons Bo had?

If Frost wins 9 games every year he can stay forever ,assuming he doesn't act like Bo.  Bo could've stayed forrever if he kept winning at least 9, except he couldn't help but acting like Bo.  If Frost's first two seasons are below .500, he probably won't get a third.  But he won't have any losing seasons here.

Edited by Isle of View
  • Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Isle of View said:

Riley has to go.  If Frost ain't coming, we'll just have to wander through the wilderness for a few more years with another crapshoot.

So there really is only one coach on the face of the Earth who can lead Nebraska back to prominence, and he's a sure bet. 

That's quite a corner to paint yourself in. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

I partly think DB is preparing the fan base, or his listeners, to not go off the rails if Frost doesn’t end up in Lincoln. Or at least he is tempering the build up while there is still 5 weeks left in a season, let the kids finish and minimize distractions for the current team.

He also mentioned on air how he has received mocking text messages from friends when they saw the Frost video running the option last week. Frost’s name is mentioned daily here and his star is growing nationally, he’s preventing the burn out from Frostmania.

I also believe TO is somewhat of a liaison for Frost. No way Frost would have coached Nebraska if SE was still running the athletic department and if TO doesn’t put his stamp of approval on new leadership, then Frost isn’t coming. 

Does anyone know what TO thinks of Mr. Moos?

2 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Experience offers an insight into whether a coach is the solution. If Riley came in a consistent winner he'd probably keep his job. When a .500 coach turns in a .500 record at a new school over 3 years you know it isn't a long term solution. 

The amount of time the next coach is given will will be a function of his prior track record, experience, talent starting point, whether the team is improving, if performance meets expectations based on available talent and recruiting.

Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

So there really is only one coach on the face of the Earth who can lead Nebraska back to prominence, and he's a sure bet. 

That's quite a corner to paint yourself in. 

Never played craps before?   A crapshoot means we'll be rolling the dice on an unknown commodity.   It's possible they have a winning roll, but it's doubtful.  

And yes, Frost is a sure thing if he comes. 

56 minutes ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

2018 – 7

2017 – 15

2016 – 15

2015 – 5

2014 – 5

2013 – 21

2012 – 17

2011 – 13

2010 – 9

2009 – 10

2008 – 35

2007 – 3

2006 – 23

2005 – 4

2004 – 11

2003 – 18

2002 – 2

Like I said, it isn't the easiest place to recruit to. There are only 7 classes since 2002 at 10 or better. Bama has been in the top 10 for almost a decade straight now. COmpare those to Florida and Georgia. My statement remains solid. 

1 minute ago, 4skers89 said:

Experience offers an insight into whether a coach is the solution. If Riley came in a consistent winner he'd probably keep his job. When a .500 coach turns in a .500 record at a new school over 3 years you know it isn't a long term solution. 

The amount of time the next coach is given will will be a function of his prior track record, experience, talent starting point, whether the team is improving, if performance meets expectations based on available talent and recruiting.

Exactly!  If we hire Venebles, we'll give him more time than we'll give a guy like Dan Mullen.  If we hired Saban, we'd probably give him an eternity and know that all hope is lost if he couldn't turn it around.