End of an Era.

The never endng Riley bashing is just nonsense at this point.   Riley may not be the best head coach of all time but he is certainly not as bad as some of these comments state.  Our football team is not very good and hasn't been for 15 years.   This team is not as bad as some comments suggest.   The difference between winning and losing many games in this day and age is often the difference between a few bad or good officiating calls, a couple dropped balls or missed tackles, etc.   We should be winning most of oru games with plenty of margin to spare but this has not been the case in about 20 years.  We are a middle of the pack (at best) program with a middle of the pack (at best) team.   The next head coach (whomever it turns out to be) will have a rough time of it and unless the fans GET REAL and recognize that the rebuilding process will be a LONG TERM (7 to 10 years) process, then we will continue this endless merry-go-round process of hire and fire circle jerk.    

Riley is not to blame for all of the ills that are plaguing our football team and program in general.  There are issues within each and every Husker sports program frankly and many are not new or even all that recent.   Men's basketball has not been good forever.  Baseball has always been mediocre but for a couple seasons for a brief splash of time.  Men's gynastics at one time was dominant nationally but has been nothing special for a couple decades.  Women's BB had a couple seasons but again has fallen into the shadows.  Our track program was once a national power but not so sure we measure up that way now.  Swimming and diving fell from the sky.   We can shoot an air rifle and roll a bowling ball pretty well I guess but let's get real, the athletic department has been slacking for ever since "Dollar" Bill Byrne departed for south Texas.   I didn't like Byrne but looking back he did do some good things apparently that have not been continued by his sucessors.   Let's hope we find we shoot the "Moon' with our new guy.

I also should add that volleyball has had its moments and seems to fall a bit short of the expecations.   We are either overrated quite often or we underperform under coach Cook.  Are we going to fire him too?     

Edited by 84HuskerLaw
  • Plus1 5

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

The never endng Riley bashing is just nonsense at this point.   Riley may not be the best head coach of all time but he is certainly not as bad as some of these comments state.  Our football team is not very good and hasn't been for 15 years.   This team is not as bad as some comments suggest.   The difference between winning and losing many games in this day and age is often the difference between a few bad or good officiating calls, a couple dropped balls or missed tackles, etc.   We should be winning most of oru games with plenty of margin to spare but this has not been the case in about 20 years.  We are a middle of the pack (at best) program with a middle of the pack (at best) team.   The next head coach (whomever it turns out to be) will have a rough time of it and unless the fans GET REAL and recognize that the rebuilding process will be a LONG TERM (7 to 10 years) process, then we will continue this endless merry-go-round process of hire and fire circle jerk.    

Riley is not to blame for all of the ills that are plaguing our football team and program in general.  There are issues within each and every Husker sports program frankly and many are not new or even all that recent.   Men's basketball has not been good forever.  Baseball has always been mediocre but for a couple seasons for a brief splash of time.  Men's gynastics at one time was dominant nationally but has been nothing special for a couple decades.  Women's BB had a couple seasons but again has fallen into the shadows.  Our track program was once a national power but not so sure we measure up that way now.  Swimming and diving fell from the sky.   We can shoot an air rifle and roll a bowling ball pretty well I guess but let's get real, the athletic department has been slacking for ever since "Dollar" Bill Byrne departed for south Texas.   I didn't like Byrne but looking back he did do some good things apparently that have not been continued by his sucessors.   Let's hope we find we shoot the "Moon' with our new guy.

I also should add that volleyball has had its moments and seems to fall a bit short of the expecations.   We are either overrated quite often or we underperform under coach Cook.  Are we going to fire him too?     

You don't see the difference between the women's volleyball program and the football program? 

• Plus1 3
11 hours ago, FTW said:

Yeah, Bo wouldn't have lost to NIU, but he did have some close calls against lower level schools. Still think blowouts would have happened to Wisconsin and Ohio State but not as bad as they were under Riley. I mean, most of the games against those schools under Pelini, at one point our teams led those games and our offense hung some points on them.

So while Mike Riley might be recruiting a little bit better, I think it is far more important to develop talent than it is to recruit talent. We all thought he was this great developer of lower level talent. It's been quite the role reversal at Nebraska.

I was under the impression he was the "quarterback whisperer." Whatever he whispered to Lee to get all those pick 6's, I wish he'd stop.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Threads like this are why I've been coming to this site less and less. Frost is a demi god, Riley is a piece of poo. it gets old 

And soon every kid Riley recruited will be obsolete. Poor kids. It's really hard to recruit in the mist of constant turmoil and unrealistic expectations

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

This has to be sarcasm right?  I mean, it is poorly executed and doesn't fit the post, but it has to be sarcasm.

Cook has 500 wins at over 88% winning percentage, 7 Final Fours, and 3 National Championships (and a runner up) in 17 seasons.

• Plus1 6

First off that link probably belongs in a different section.

Secondly, don't think "alpha" in the negative way that you so badly want to think of it...you are thinking of a loud mouthed, in your face, screaming ass...that is not "alpha" that is an a-hole.  Alpha dogs come in many different forms.  I am guessing that within your group of friends, zoogs, that you are an alpha dog but I am guessing you are not the yell in your face, scream at the people, get chesty and square up type...but that surely doesn't mean you are not an alpha dog.

It is not about showing your teeth...it is about not having to show your teeth.  It is about confidence in what you know and do.

TO was very much an alpha dog, listen to his former players...they were terrified of him because they knew he was the man and they knew they didn't want to let him down.

Edited by teachercd
  • Plus1 4

4 hours ago, teachercd said:

First off that link probably belongs in a different section.

Secondly, don't think "alpha" in the negative way that you so badly want to think of it...you are thinking of a loud mouthed, in your face, screaming ass...that is not "alpha" that is an a-hole.  Alpha dogs come in many different forms.  I am guessing that within your group of friends, zoogs, that you are an alpha dog but I am guessing you are not the yell in your face, scream at the people, get chesty and square up type...but that surely doesn't mean you are not an alpha dog.

It is not about showing your teeth...it is about not having to show your teeth.  It is about confidence in what you know and do.

TO was very much an alpha dog, listen to his former players...they were terrified of him because they knew he was the man and they knew they didn't want to let him down.

The whole concept of "alpha" is hilarious because it stems from one book about wolf packs, which turned out to be wrong - there are no alpha wolves. Even the author later said he was wrong. But many people latched onto this idea and have run with it for decades.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The whole concept of "alpha" is hilarious because it stems from one book about wolf packs, which turned out to be wrong - there are no alpha wolves. Even the author later said he was wrong. But many people latched onto this idea and have run with it for decades.

And it has become so very negative and so very positive...depending on who you are talking to about it.

I actually love these type of posts.  As they show exactly what a true Nebraska fan looks like.  They seem to know everything, but in the end seem to really know very little about coaching, culture and the level of TOXINS  in a staff. 

I do know that Michigan fans were not Happy at Happy Valley, but they weren't happy the week before.  Their savior, with a lot of coaching history has not done what he was hired for or done what was expected.  His job is to beat Ohio State and Michigan State, now maybe Penn State.  He may lose all three this year.  

Nothing in college football is guaranteed, absolutely nothing.  The only thing that is guaranteed is the past.  Comparing current coaches, and the current kids to the past really means nothing. 

So please get over yourselves and understand, who ever walks in to be Nebraska's coach is going to do the best job he can, and we need to hope that he succeeds.  That is all we can really do as fans, well other than start thread after thread after thread after thread after thread about a person that most likely will not come here because of the pressure the fan base puts on him.  And possibly show a little a respect to man that came here to try and win for Nebraska, is doing his best.  Has never tried to embarrass the university.  Not what any of us wanted, but sometimes other people fail.  I know a lot on this board never have or ever will.

Good for you!

• Plus1 3